• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So What Exactly Are We Doing on 3rd and 1, 4th and 1, and Goal Line Situations?

Hoenheim

On 4/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Hoenheim said:

No Foreman, no power back, no Cam auto conversions anymore,  a new skinny 5 10 QB. 

Seems like a problem. Any of you have ideas? 

Plowing your QB through the line is not the only way to convert short. But what do I know, I’ve only been watching football for 20 years. 

On 4/30/2023 at 10:08 AM, Wolfcop said:

What did Alabama do in similar situations? Also, Bryce has more lower body strength than many give him credit for. He pulled away from defenders several times. McCown pointed it out in the video he did on Bryce. 

The other issue with Young is 3rd and long, but that needs another thread to discuss all those issues at Alabama. As long as it is not 3rd and long, 3rd and short, 4th and short, redzone, goal line, or backed up against his own goal line, the Panthers coaching staff wont have to worry about covering for Young.

He is a 33% conversion QB in these critical possessions. In the NFL that will get you ranked in the bottom 5. I understand why the Panthers and Reich don't mind it. The Colts and Panthers were 2 of the 5 worst teams in the NFL last year. 33% would look good to them. Good teams are above 40% and the best teams are around 50%.

Alabama went 3 and out. Kicked FGs. Leaned on their defense and Brian Robinson. Young got sacked a lot in these situations running out of the pocket. He did not throw the ball away and took a loss of yards. They got flags in these situations to give them an automatic first down after failing to convert. Refs kept drives alive. Young would throw INTs with blind passes in the endzone after a panic and scramble, but I've heard he makes his mistakes look so good we will all not care about the outcome. He was much worse on the road than he was at home. Road games will be rough, and he will need a lot of help. There are always the Young roll out, make a man miss, and shovel pass, which works so well in the NFL. Point guard revolution of the QB position is coming.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:15 PM, CPcavedweller said:

Go watch Cam Peoples highlights and you'll see why he was a priority UDFA. 6'1 220, runs like he's 230. Had 95 yards in one half against Miami (with Manny Diaz), over 100 against Texas A&M, and I believe over 100 against UNC.

Go watch the Texas A&M game if you want to see those 3rd and 3 to 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 conversions. 

If he can stay healthy, he should be the option.

There's no guarantee this guy even makes the roster but I'd love him to be the RB2. We just don't know how much the new staff likes Chubba or Blackshear. 

• Pie 1