• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why can't we just move Chinn to ILB next to Shaq and be done with it?

serious question. Our safety room is filled out. Its a passing league. If we can continue to stop the run why limit Chinn to passing situations? Just put him there full time at ILB and be done with the charade of looking for ILB help? I get that he's small but he has always been good at run support and at the line of scrimmage, fug the size if he is getting turnovers in the passing game.

• Poo 2

Hes too valuable to me to be a backup and only coming in on special packages, thats why I think he should be traded somewhere he can start at SS or 4-3 OLB. However, if hes fine with that, then nice. We just have a great special package player.

Edited by KillerKat
  • Pie 2

3 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Hes too valuable to me to be a backup and only coming in on special packages, thats why I think he should be traded somewhere he can start at SS or 4-3 OLB. However, if hes fine with that, then nice. We just have a great special package player.

This is my entire thesis of the idea to post this. Were the hell is this man gonna play? He was horrible as a deep safety, and transcendent closer to the line. He is positionless in this defense currently. I did some more digging and I thought one of the ILB's could be smaller but not the case:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/891384-breaking-down-the-3-4-defense

Inside (MIKE/TED) Linebacker

Job: The job of a MIKE or TED linebacker varies greatly from team to team, but the rules are the same. Your MIKE linebacker is the tackler. He’s the leader of the defense and the guy you want free to run down the football. The TED linebacker, on the other hand, does more to take on blocks and free up the MIKE linebacker to make plays. A TED linebacker will usually be a bit larger and not as fast.

Scouting points: Inside linebackers in a 3-4 defense are very similar to middle linebackers in a 4-3 defense, only bigger. Classically, a smaller player can be fine in a four-man front because he has two defensive tackles protecting him. In a 3-4 defense there is no one between the guard and the linebacker.

Because of this, scouts look for bigger players who are stronger and more capable at fighting through traffic to the ball.

Ideal size: 6'3", 240 lbs, 30 reps of 225 lbs on bench press.

The fact still remains, what the hell are we gonna do with Chinn?

Because even Chinn said it himself his rookie year he got LUCKY he was just guessing and he was finding the ball the last couple of years he's been guessing wrong we can't have that at MLB he would be out of poisiton often 

Bc even though this is our base alignment, it isnt the alignment we will be running 60% of the time. Moving Chinn to ILB would be detrmental to his growth as a big nickel. There are options on the street to fill this role. 

"second free agency" is about to begin now that the draft is over.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, thunderraiden said:

This is my entire thesis of the idea to post this. Were the hell is this man gonna play? He was horrible as a deep safety, and transcendent closer to the line. He is positionless in this defense currently. I did some more digging and I thought one of the ILB's could be smaller but not the case:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/891384-breaking-down-the-3-4-defense

The fact still remains, what the hell are we gonna do with Chinn?

He will be in on special packages or whenever we go to 4-3, possibly the OLB. Its weird because its like having Steve Atwater as your backup. Im still preparing myself he gets dealt at some point before the season begins. 

18 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

Undersized and has to take on more blockers

I wouldnt call him undersized.... he said in an interview a few weeks back that he is in the 230lb+ range... Thats pretty big. Micah Parsons is in that range. 

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I wouldnt call him undersized.... he said in an interview a few weeks back that he is in the 230lb+ range... Thats pretty big. Micah Parsons is in that range. 

Dude is 6' 3" has a great frame to add weight, He was undersized at the combine and that's the only weight I've seen on my quick 5 second google search so good to know he is adding weight, if he can get to 235 that would be great.

For reference this is navarro bowman height and weight and the role I was thinking Chinn could occupy. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BowmNa99.htm

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Pie 1

If Navarro Bowman could do it at 6'0 230 (for a Fangio defense w/Evero on staff), I think it's possible Chinn can at 6'3 230.  

And in that event, I think Luvu floating to OLB (just like he did in college), could work for base.  Which again, will only be 25-30% of our snaps.  

Majority looks will be in nickel or DB heavy sub packages.   

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 2