• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have one of NFL's most 'obsessive' fanbases

TheCasillas

On 5/3/2023 at 9:10 PM, rayzor said:

I don't know about obsessive, but we definitely have some issues.

"Obsessive" sounds a little harsh to me. Not so sure about that...

I'll probably comment more on this later. Right now I'm busy writing up a profile of people we could potentially add to our front office 😐

Also agree that if the fans and Raleigh are so passionate they can just make the drive to Charlotte...just like all the other passionate fans in the Triangle. Two hours is no excuse, I mean that's basically the distance from Milwaukee to Green Bay. That's not half the population of the city of Green Bay in Lambeau every game...including Monday night games and Thursday night games. And Milwaukee is nowhere near as wealthy as Raleigh and their populations are almost the same. 

Just make the drive or even generate enough market for Amtrak to run.

• Pie 1

Winning does wonders. Me and my buddy used to take the BART train to Warriors games in the 90’s and early 2000’s and buy a game day ticket for $35 at half court maybe 15 rows back during weeknight games. 

Chase Center is now sold out every game and the seats are so expensive it’s cheaper for me to wait until they play the shitty Kings and drive to Sac and get a hotel after the game then drive over the bridge to SF to watch them at home. Should have never let go of my season tickets but ran into some tough times a few years back. 

You can't compare our fan base to most of the other team's. Panthers have been playing for 27yrs versus other teams for up to a 100+yrs. It takes time to build a "worldwide" fan base & the Panthers have done quite well, but other teams have a 13 mile head start  in this marathon. Since family has a bearing on one's fandom, a team like Green Bay [for example], has fans dating back to a person's great-great grandparents. It seems that switching our fandom from other teams is not as easy as flipping a switch & most if not all of us still hold on to a soft spot in our hearts for a prior team that we pulled for. IMO

• Beer 2

On 5/3/2023 at 9:21 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

That was in the 90's bro. Those people are old now. 

It has nothing to do with winning or losing. Even when we had that historical run in 2016 the stadium was still 60/40. It's the location. 

Raleigh has always had a strong fan base. We support our teams college and NHL. I promise you if the Panthers or Hornets were in Raleigh you would see a totally different fan reaction at the games. They hardcore and loud. Charlotte fans are laid back.

No disrespect to the city of Charlotte, but the fans are just not into their teams as we are. Come to a Canes or Pack game and tell me you don't notice the difference.

You obviously are very unlearned about the Panther fan base. I am halfway between Raleigh and Charlotte and often travel both ways for a sporting event. We are all excited for the Hurricanes success. However, realistically speaking remember their average attendance is 18,000. I have many friends who are NC State fans, but when will any ACC football teams in NC consistently finish in the top 10? You haven’t really proven anything yet, but your attendance is better. The Hornets would not draw flies any better in Raleigh with their history.

Let me tell you something about us “old people.” You may not realize how many PSL seats are owned by “old people.” There are a lot of PSL owners in the Winston-Salem, Guilford, and Alamance County area that travel to see the Panthers. What you should be doing is campaigning for a baseball team in the Raleigh area. I do not see an effort for that, I think Raleigh might work for that. Leave the Panthers and us “old people” alone. 

On 5/3/2023 at 9:31 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

Nobody is traveling 2 1/2 hours on a Sunday to see a football game. When most people have to work the next morning.lol

That is a Charlotte crowd my man at least the majority is.

Come to a Canes game. Tell me how different the roar is from the crowd compared to a Panthers game. We like that!

Raleigh is more like 3 hours from Charlotte. I live close to the Alamance-Orange County line and it is a 2 hour drive to see the Panthers. Raleigh is 45 minutes west of me. However, if you consistently build a winner people will drive. If Bryce is the leader we are hoping for you will see that. 

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

You obviously are very unlearned about the Panther fan base. I am halfway between Raleigh and Charlotte and often travel both ways for a sporting event. We are all excited for the Hurricanes success. However, realistically speaking remember their average attendance is 18,000. I have many friends who are NC State fans, but when will any ACC football teams in NC consistently finish in the top 10? You haven’t really proven anything yet, but your attendance is better. The Hornets would not draw flies any better in Raleigh with their history.

Let me tell you something about us “old people.” You may not realize how many PSL seats are owned by “old people.” There are a lot of PSL owners in the Winston-Salem, Guilford, and Alamance County area that travel to see the Panthers. What you should be doing is campaigning for a baseball team in the Raleigh area. I do not see an effort for that, I think Raleigh might work for that. Leave the Panthers and us “old people” alone. 

Did you even read my post?

Old people are the reason the crowd sucks my man. Old people are not rowdy. They come to watch a game and have a good time. The younger fans are what makes the crowd. They cheer loud. PSL owners are just taking up seats.

1 hour ago, Stuart Smith said:

If Bryce is the leader we are hoping for you will see that. 

You don't have to sell me on Bryce. I been his biggest supporter on this board. There is no hope he is a leader always has been. You can see just from his interviews how he carry himself as a 40 year old man.

18 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Did you even read my post?

Old people are the reason the crowd sucks my man. Old people are not rowdy. They come to watch a game and have a good time. The younger fans are what makes the crowd. They cheer loud. PSL owners are just taking up seats.

It depends on what you call rowdy. We cheer as loud as anyone, but we don’t get drunk and fight. Often times we might have our grandchildren, we appreciate those who hold their “rowdy” while respecting those sitting nearby. I think the Panthers need more of us to take up seats. 

6 minutes ago, Stuart Smith said:

It depends on what you call rowdy. We cheer as loud as anyone, but we don’t get drunk and fight. Often times we might have our grandchildren, we appreciate those who hold their “rowdy” while respecting those sitting nearby. I think the Panthers need more of us to take up seats. 

lol no.

What good is HFA if everyone sitting in their seats just watching?

26 minutes ago, Green-Ghost said:

I don’t know about obsession.  I see a lot of love of the team.  Last couple of years, I see frustration and disappointment.

I see potential for this year…

Yet people are already acting like we are the best team in the league and we haven't even seen a practice yet 

I am not seeing obsession, I am seeing cult levels of delusion

• Pie 1

An expansion team in a transit city with no SB wins?

Not enough history and success of the franchise and add to that in an area of the country where you can do things in the mountains, ocean or enjoy outside activities during most of the time football is played really doesn't help any.

Me thinks sports writers have to come up with this stuff in an attempt to keep the interest in the bottom feeder teams..........or there is just some much 24/7 sports coverage they run out of things to write about so hence the Panthers fanatical fan base.......yeah sure.