• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Anti-tankers…. Never forget!!!!

TheBigKat

19 minutes ago, csx said:

And players around the league were rather pissed 

But the point is it happens. It happened in Philly and it happened in Indy. It’s definitely happened in the past as well but some organizations try to cover it up better. 

13 minutes ago, csx said:

How All Pros think about it. You can disagree but you can't dismiss it

Yeah my man said there’s teams that have bad cultures and are worried about player evaluation and draft positioning… sounds like tanking without using the word. I don’t have an issue with folks saying they don’t want their team to tank. You always want to win. I approach every week with a “I want to win” attitude during the season. However, after we would lose games I flip the perspective to draft stock to get a QB so I had a reason to be happy rather than mad after each week. However, for folks ( and not you who I’m quoting ) who want to pretend teams don’t make decisions to rest “injured” players, to swap out QB to “evaluate them” or hiring a coach mid season who has never coached at any level… tanking definitely happens in the NFL. 

• Pie 1

I'm very interested to hear how some of the pro-tank crowd will convince players to sacrifice one year of their career for an organization that they won't be back with the following season.

I imagine that that's going to be a difficult task. Especially so when considering that the average NFL career lasts just over three seasons.

But yea, go ahead and tell those guys to have a seat so that the team can get one or two spots ahead in line at the counter for lotto tickets that are going to be used to replace them. 🙃

The same folks suggesting tanking will be the same ones complaining that the team can't attract free agents and claim that it's because "nobody wants to play for a loser." -_-

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, Varking said:

I agree. It worked out for both organizations. I was just pointing that recent example out for those claiming tanking never happens. And without needing to say it the Colts did it by hiring a coach who has never coached at any level before… They were clearly just hoping to remain in the running for a top pick. 

It's funny that the two examples in recent memory of alleged tanking both resulted in the head coach losing his job.  And yet fans wonder why teams don't tank more often lol.  You're basically expecting the guy in charge to throw his job (and potentially career) away in the interest of a franchise that is going to get rid of him at the end of the year.  It's counter-intuitive.

Let's see if the Colts "tanking" works out for them.  Imagine if Reich is successful here, and Steichen/Richardson are colossal failures in Indianapolis.  That'll be a huge cautionary tale for the pro-tanking crowd.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I’m starting to realize that this fan base is built on moral victories. Good thread, OP

like beating Tampa in a meaningless game last season would have set this franchise back at least another 3 seasons

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I’m starting to realize that this fan base is built on moral victories. Good thread, OP

all the arguments that have been said against this whole silly tank idea and that's what you are coming back to? 

Cary Elwes Eye Roll GIF

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

all the arguments that have been said against this whole silly tank idea and that's what you are coming back to? 

Cary Elwes Eye Roll GIF

It's obvious some people just are not capable of nuanced thinking. It has to be black or white, yes or no, or else they just can't comprehend the concept.

• Pie 2
  • Poo 2

It's got nothing to do with moral  victories or any of that poo. It's about not being narrow minded and doing more harm than good to the team and the game and costing people jobs and possibly getting in a ton of trouble.

Not to mention it's just a weak strategy...and by weak I mean its implemented by weak people/teams who deserve to lose and create a culture of losing.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

It's funny that the two examples in recent memory of alleged tanking both resulted in the head coach losing his job.  And yet fans wonder why teams don't tank more often lol.  You're basically expecting the guy in charge to throw his job (and potentially career) away in the interest of a franchise that is going to get rid of him at the end of the year.  It's counter-intuitive.

Let's see if the Colts "tanking" works out for them.  Imagine if Reich is successful here, and Steichen/Richardson are colossal failures in Indianapolis.  That'll be a huge cautionary tale for the pro-tanking crowd.

It worked out for the Eagles and the Jags. Eagles tanked, the Jags have their coach now and went to the playoffs with him. Eagles new coach lead the team to a Super Bowl run. Indy is TBD but they are becoming a poorly run organization that elite QB play can’t cover up anymore. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, rayzor said:

i can just imagine the meetings where teams tell their coaches and players that they have to lose games.

"seriously, guys, it's for the good of the team! THINK ABOUT THE DRAFT!!!!!"

i just can't get over how stupid a concept this is, especially in trying to make it happen.

telling the coaches, "you know...just don't put in the best players. say you are putting in players to evaluate. no one will know." "you don't want us to win?" "think of the draft!" "but won't my job be in jeopardy if i lose?" "think of the draft!"

or telling players to take it easy or that valuable players will all of a sudden be benched...for what? so we can draft their replacement? 

you may think t helps the long term picture by getting a better draft spot, but culturally that kind of poo is a killer. it tears down morale and it will keep free agents away who want to win. and it will keep new coaches who want to be part of a winning culture away from your team.

and if a coach gets fired for losing even if he was told by the FO to do it, lawsuits coming.

Bro… the eagles did this just a couple of years ago and their coach got fired with no lawsuit coming.  Benching Jalen for their third string QB in the finale and pulling starters during the game. They went to the Super Bowl this past year. There was no long term lingering effect for doing it. 

players typically claim stuff like this would make them never play for an organization but guess what? Players sign there anyways because of $$$ and due to the salary cap not all the best run teams can afford the best players. 

Poor organizations like the Browns haven’t had trouble signing free agents. Guys usually just go to the highest bidder. 

But I’d you’re trying to be dramatic saying teams are telling the players they are tanking that’s not how it’s being done. 

Edited by Varking

Im an anti tanker but I feel like management possibly tried to sneaky tank last season and it didnt work out. I believe they fired Rhule who they knew was garbage after the first couple games (took long enough) and replaced him with Wilks who they thought would stink it up worse and send us into the depths of the NFL. Turns out Wilks is a thousand times the coach that Rhule ever was or will be in the NFL and it backfired on them. Had they kept our bumbling idiot as head coach we probably would have finished much worse. To top that off with our QB carousel of crap I felt like they knew we struck turd and were ready to be led there by bad coaching and turd QB'ing. The shockers were Darnold looked better with Wilks and Wilks being a good guy got the players motivated. 

I think plans became to tank but management made moves that accidentally made us gel a little better like showing Rhule the door and Wilks making Darnold look much better.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1