• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

Well with the EK thing over we can finally start to get our roster together for opening night.

Not much else I’d do but I wouldn’t hate throwing Parise an offer. He played pretty well for a NYI team that plays similar to us so I think he’d fit in well.

Tatar is another option as a depth forward but I’m not sure if his game fits the Canes.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

I can’t really blame Pitt for this. In fact, it was probably a smart move on their part. A massive rebuild is on the horizon with or without this move. Might as well give your aging stars a little help before the window is closed shut. 

I don't disagree with you here, but only because of the way the league works. If they were smarter, they would be selling off their vets, including crosby, right now and starting the rebuild.  Because of the fact that Crosby will likely only wear one jersey in his career--it makes the Caps and Pens do these ridiculous moves that further delay and set back their rebuild starting to always cycle years of 'this run' when last year's team for both Caps/Pens couldn't get WC2 in a very deep division.  I understand not wanting Crosby in any other jersey, but as a small market baseball fan/thinking about it from what happened to the Canes in 09...it's a pretty big price to pay on the back end of their careers as we see with Chicago right now (and they even let Kane/will let JT go)

I just don't see EK changing much. I guess if their goaltending puts together a tandem that performs better than we've seen either of those guys perform--it's possible if you're thinking that FL probably has a huge injury hangover/Bob is probably literally going to drop off the face of the planet. IDC about the pedigree of EK/Crosby/Malkin. The thought of getting Jarry/Ned in the playoffs makes me salivate.

Edited by backINblack28
  • Pie 1

Not to mention the fact the Pens are still 2 guys shy of a full roster, are still over the cap and the youngest winger in their top 6 (Jake Guentzel) is on LTIR.

They will have 3 forwards of the 12 currently under contract under the age of 30. They've been slow for the last 2 seasons, how will they not be even slower this season?

Crosby's contract expires when he's 38, Malkin's at 40, Rust's at 36, Rakell at 35, etc. The best is blue liner Kris Letang- his contract is up when he's 41....

Last year was a blow to Pens fans as it was the first time in years they missed the post season. I don't know how they avoid that same fate, except on a much larger scale, this year.

• Pie 3

16 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Well with the EK thing over we can finally start to get our roster together for opening night.

Not much else I’d do but I wouldn’t hate throwing Parise an offer. He played pretty well for a NYI team that plays similar to us so I think he’d fit in well.

Tatar is another option as a depth forward but I’m not sure if his game fits the Canes.

Wish we could find a consistent scorer. But nopeeeeeeeeee. 

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, OUCPFL said:

Wish we could find a consistent scorer. But nopeeeeeeeeee. 

Hopefully it’ll be Svechnikov once he’s back and a lot rides on Jarvis making a big jump.

If Svech becomes the elite goal scorer, Jarvis makes a big jump, Teravainen has a rebound season, and Bunting gets us 20 or so goals, then we’ll be in fine shape.

Obviously a lot of if’s there.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 3

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Hopefully it’ll be Svechnikov once he’s back and a lot rides on Jarvis making a big jump.

If Svech becomes the elite goal scorer, Jarvis makes a big jump, Teravainen has a rebound season, and Bunting gets us 20 or so goals, then we’ll be in fine shape.

I think there's obviously chance that if any of this is taking shape that we will be making extreme moves at the trade deadline this time. In retrospect not making the move last year was the right thing--we kept everything while all other teams that gave up future assets were eliminated. This year, if we're healthy and on a course--it's time to press go and say F them picks

• Pie 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

I think there's obviously chance that if any of this is taking shape that we will be making extreme moves at the trade deadline this time. In retrospect not making the move last year was the right thing--we kept everything while all other teams that gave up future assets were eliminated. This year, if we're healthy and on a course--it's time to press go and say F them picks

Lolol that needs to be the motto this year, F them picks!

• Flames 1

50 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Teravainen has a rebound season,

This needs to happen or he's outta here at the deadline if there's someone who will make the team better. Look at his point totals since coming over from Chicago: 42, 64, 76, 63, 15 (bubble/injury season), 65, 37.

Needs to step up to his 40+ level

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Big IF's there. The issue I have with Svech is he's just inconsistent when it comes to goal scoring. He came into Carolina with a lot of hype. Even his scouting report compared him to Ovi. Just hasn't happened that way. At one point last year he went 20 freaking games without scoring a goal. For a "go to scorer" that's unheard of. Jarvis was meh last year. We just need better goal scorers period, and instead of that we got more defenders. Which makes no sense.