• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

At this point in time, who feels like we lost this trade?

Apparently BR believes that the trade with the Bears was the best move of the off season, for the Bears.  Fuel for the fire.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077743-ranking-the-25-best-moves-of-the-2023-nfl-offseason

1. Bears Trade No. 1 for a Haul

While the Panthers' ambitiousness was commendable, Chicago emerged as the definite on-paper winner of the trade for 2023's top overall pick. The mega-deal delivered two first- and two second-round selections to the Bears, along with D.J. Moore—a true No. 1 receiver. Great drafting is imperative in the future, but Chicago has an encouraging long-term vision.

4 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Apparently BR believes that the trade with the Bears was the best move of the off season, for the Bears.  Fuel for the fire.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077743-ranking-the-25-best-moves-of-the-2023-nfl-offseason

1. Bears Trade No. 1 for a Haul

While the Panthers' ambitiousness was commendable, Chicago emerged as the definite on-paper winner of the trade for 2023's top overall pick. The mega-deal delivered two first- and two second-round selections to the Bears, along with D.J. Moore—a true No. 1 receiver. Great drafting is imperative in the future, but Chicago has an encouraging long-term vision.

they are playing up that '2 first round picks' part too much making it sound like they got more than what they did. it wasn't that.

they swapped a 1st overall for a 9th overall. and then they got a 2nd.  and then they got another 1st next year and a second the year after that. and they got a above average WR. 

meanwhile we got a guy who is going to make this team one of the best in the league for years and win us multiple superbowls.

• Flames 2

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

they are playing up that '2 first round picks' part too much making it sound like they got more than what they did. it wasn't that.

they swapped a 1st overall for a 9th overall. and then they got a 2nd.  and then they got another 1st next year and a second the year after that. and they got a above average WR. 

meanwhile we got a guy who is going to make this team one of the best in the league for years and win us multiple superbowls.

Yup.  BR's staff never liked Young. 

When Young takes off, and Fields continues to flounder, Bears fans are going to be crying in their beers.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Yup.  BR's staff never liked Young. 

When Young takes off, and Fields continues to flounder, Bears fans are going to be crying in their beers.

One big  advantage Young has over Fields and other rookie QB's is the situation he came into.  He did not get drafted by a team who earned the 1st pick in the draft the old fashioned way.  He has a dream staff working with him from Reich, Brown, McCown, Caldwell, a good oline,  and he is surrounded by good vets on the field...Sanders, Thielen, Hurst, Chark,  not to mention some other talented players..Marshall, Shenault, Mingo, and then his best friend on the sideline Dalton.

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

One big  advantage Young has over Fields and other rookie QB's is the situation he came into.  He did not get drafted by a team who earned the 1st pick in the draft the old fashioned way.  He has a dream staff working with him from Reich, Brown, McCown, Caldwell, a good oline,  and he is surrounded by good vets on the field...Sanders, Thielen, Hurst, Chark,  not to mention some other talented players..Marshall, Shenault, Mingo, and then his best friend on the sideline Dalton.

I would argue that no #1 pick at QB has ever come into a better situation. A lot of folks here felt like any guy we picked would succeed because of the staff and team we have around them. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn’t finish above .500 this year, rookie lumps and all. 

• Beer 4

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

It all depends on how he plays that will determine if trade works out. You cant really say anything else, thats why its not bad to hold a wait and see approach. Anybody that wants to hop on a bandwagon instead is free to do that as well. Everybody is entitled to their stance just dont get emotional when somebody doesnt have the same viewpoint.

I have had the same viewpoint all along may as well own it. What would change my mind, is not what some other internet posters think, it will only be if the draftee shows he was majorly worth the sacrifice made to acquire him. 
I don’t believe, historically, anyone has ever decisively done that, in a matching scenario. Pretty sure no one has ever taken a player of Young’s stature at QB, or close even,  with the ultimate pick. It will work because he is really really smart, they say. A football genius. We’ll see. 
I don’t really like his arm that much either. But what do I know. The proof will be in the pudding soon enough. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 2

Its all on paper.  Injury derails everything.  I think we have decent QB, OL and WR depth. 

RB is a different story.  If Sanders goes down, we're looking at stone-for-hands Hubbard who blocks small.  It is my #1 worry on O. 

Defense is worse.    Safety looks ok, but CB, LB and DL are an injury or two away from nightmare status.
Jackson didn't look great last year, before he injured his achilles.  Henderson is awful.  The D looked bad and we invested little here player-wise.

• Beer 1

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Chuba is a decent backup RB. 

If you don't want your RB to catch, or block sure hes an ok runner.

Where is the huge droppoff in production if one of WR's goes down?  In terms of production, Thielen is the only one to consistently have any and we just had a long discussion on who is #1 WR.  Right now I view the WR room as full of above average players.  No stark drop off.

The dropoff from Sanders to Hubbard is stark, and you have to have a run game to open up the pass.

Edited by poundaway

3 minutes ago, poundaway said:

If you don't want your RB to catch, or block sure hes an ok runner.

Where is the huge droppoff in production if one of WR's goes down?  In terms of production, Thielen is the only one to consistently have any and we just had a long discussion on who is #1 WR.  Right now I view the WR room as full of above average players.  No stark drop off.

The dropoff from Sanders to Hubbard is stark, and you have to have a run game to open up the pass.

We have exactly one WR on the roster with proven high level NFL production and he's five years past his prime.

Do you expect to have a great backup RB? Backups are backups for a reason.

If your #1 concern is your backup RB you're probably about to run roughshod over the league. But our #1 concern is absolutely our lack of proven receiver production.

1 hour ago, Varking said:

I would argue that no #1 pick at QB has ever come into a better situation. A lot of folks here felt like any guy we picked would succeed because of the staff and team we have around them. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn’t finish above .500 this year, rookie lumps and all. 

And amen.

13 hours ago, Barney said:

Seems this would be a very short thread if only the people that felt like we lost the trade responded lol 

Bingo.

But I generally don't side with many popular opinions so. . .

. . .I just don't voice them unless I'm firm in my belief.