• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

CamWhoaaCam

The universe is incomprehensibly large and the more we learn about the more the information screams that conditions for life as we know it likely abound. 

The odds that we're alone in the universe seem impossibly long.

Now whether or not that life is capable of or has visited us is an entirely different conversation.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The universe is incomprehensibly large and the more we learn about the more the information screams that conditions for life as we know it likely abound. 

The odds that we're alone in the universe seem impossibly long.

Now whether or not that life is capable of or has visited us is an entirely different conversation.

Well when you hear and see stuff like this it makes it hard to believe they haven't already encountered earth.

8 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I have a question regarding the subject. Given what the bible says about creation and the universe, etc., can you be a "Christian" and believe that life anywhere other than here on Earth exists? 

Not being facetious or contrary, I'm honestly curious.

My FIL was a very devout Southern Baptist.  Son of a preacher, leader in his church, no dancing or drink and our (his daughter and my) wedding, church 2 days a week at minimum kind of guy.

He believed in ETL and was even open to the ideas that some ancient "unexplainable" (think pyramids, Nazca lines, et al) were attributable to their visits.  When questioned he would tell you that the Bible doesn't exclude it.

21 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

My FIL was a very devout Southern Baptist.  Son of a preacher, leader in his church, no dancing or drink and our (his daughter and my) wedding, church 2 days a week at minimum kind of guy.

He believed in ETL and was even open to the ideas that some ancient "unexplainable" (think pyramids, Nazca lines, et al) were attributable to their visits.  When questioned he would tell you that the Bible doesn't exclude it.

But it doesn't include it, either. And this is the same book that would have you believe a lot of far reaching unexplainable stuff than pyramids, Stonehenge, crop circles, etc. In my mind, there's a lot more logic to those occurrences than some of the stuff in the bible.

He would have said something to the effect of - the Bible doesn't include cars either but there one sits...

And maybe he isn't the sort of Christian that your question was aimed at as while he was firm in his belief of his salvation through Christ and believed that things like drinking and dancing were the road to Perdition all the while not being particularly dogmatic. On top of that I'm a poor proxy as I don't share his beliefs can only speak from the many hours we spent discussing these same questions.  He was quite a bit more open minded to those things that were not explicitly spelled out in the bible than your run of the mill conservative evangelical.

2 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

But it doesn't include it, either. And this is the same book that would have you believe a lot of far reaching unexplainable stuff than pyramids, Stonehenge, crop circles, etc. In my mind, there's a lot more logic to those occurrences than some of the stuff in the bible.

But this is going on you're belief that "Christians" must follow the Bible to a tee. They don't have to. Some take the word of the book simply as metaphor. Others see it as a good basis to live your life off. Some agree with and disagree with its teachings. But unlike Orthodox Judaism and devout Islam, for example, Christians are not forced to follow any "rules" the Bible might provide.

So yes, you can easily call yourself Christian and also know the Earth is older than the Bible suggests and believe there is life in the universe.

55 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

But this is going on you're belief that "Christians" must follow the Bible to a tee. They don't have to. Some take the word of the book simply as metaphor. Others see it as a good basis to live your life off. Some agree with and disagree with its teachings. But unlike Orthodox Judaism and devout Islam, for example, Christians are not forced to follow any "rules" the Bible might provide.

So yes, you can easily call yourself Christian and also know the Earth is older than the Bible suggests and believe there is life in the universe.

How old was the earth when created? Did it look like a shiny new car with fresh paint and no dents?  Adam and Eve weren’t created as infants right?

4 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

I have a question regarding the subject. Given what the bible says about creation and the universe, etc., can you be a "Christian" and believe that life anywhere other than here on Earth exists? 

Not being facetious or contrary, I'm honestly curious.

I'm a Christian.   

I don't believe Jesus ever said, "look people, I have told you about everything God has ever done or thought.  If I didn't say it to you for you to write down, it couldn't exist". 

I didn't learn about dinosaurs in the Bible either.  Not much of a difference. 

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Stick to the topic Brooklyn.