• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life?

CamWhoaaCam

On 6/12/2023 at 7:31 AM, Anybodyhome said:

I have a question regarding the subject. Given what the bible says about creation and the universe, etc., can you be a "Christian" and believe that life anywhere other than here on Earth exists? 

Not being facetious or contrary, I'm honestly curious.

Absolutely you can. There are a ton of different ‘interpretations’ and mental gymnastics anyone can do to make it make sense. Pick and choose what’s literal, metaphorical, figurative…you name it. It’s your choice what’s what.

And when there is an all powerful being that can literally do and see anything, an explanation of ‘because god wanted it that way’, there is nothing that can’t be explained.

People can train their minds to believe absolutely anything can be true and they’ll defend it with their lives. Plenty of research and examples on that. 

In reality though, it’s belief/faith in something and nothing more. Impossible to know and only believe. And even that simple, basic fact/concept, people have literally trained themselves to think otherwise. The irony and the proof.

10 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Absolutely you can. There are a ton of different ‘interpretations’ and mental gymnastics anyone can do to make it make sense. Pick and choose what’s literal, metaphorical, figurative…you name it. It’s your choice what’s what.

And when there is an all powerful being that can literally do and see anything, an explanation of ‘because god wanted it that way’, there is nothing that can’t be explained.

People can train their minds to believe absolutely anything can be true and they’ll defend it with their lives. Plenty of research and examples on that. 

In reality though, it’s belief/faith in something and nothing more. Impossible to know and only believe. And even that simple, basic fact/concept, people have literally trained themselves to think otherwise. The irony and the proof.

Do you believe in heaven in hell?

Most people who experience death and come back to life all describe a tunnel and going up to a light or down to darkness. That indicates to me that there is something in the afterlife. Most people just laugh it off, but I actually believe there is heaven and hell afterlife.

Consciousness is every bit the mystery as extraterritorial life - well more accurately the levels of it's evolution and capabilities as it has become widely accepted that extraterrestrial life is a virtual certainty. More and more recent research is suggesting that consciousness may not be an emergent phenomenon of the brain and may not be limited to the physical brain. Does that necessarily mean that there is an "afterlife" in the religious sense? Not necessarily. It might give some credence to the theory of panpsychism. 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:31 AM, Anybodyhome said:

I have a question regarding the subject. Given what the bible says about creation and the universe, etc., can you be a "Christian" and believe that life anywhere other than here on Earth exists? 

Not being facetious or contrary, I'm honestly curious.

I have never head this question asked. I have to believe it 

On 6/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, Anybodyhome said:

But it doesn't include it, either. And this is the same book that would have you believe a lot of far reaching unexplainable stuff than pyramids, Stonehenge, crop circles, etc. In my mind, there's a lot more logic to those occurrences than some of the stuff in the bible.

150 years ago if you had written a book telling people that one day we could do some of the things we are doing today they would not think it logical either. Sometimes in our finite mind we limit ourselves to the world we live in today.