• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Deangelo

27 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

Just get ready to watch players skate around Tony on rushes. Ghosts defense was far superior.

We have good defensive scorers, what we don’t have and need is another good offensive line scorer.

I watch Tony two years ago in person play for us about 40 times. The guy fits what Rod wants under his system. He’s going to be really good for us again and the second go around he’ll be better. And as far as our defense guys go last year, ghost was by far our worst.  Ghost was out of position quite a bit. He would have some good plays every once in a while, but he was our weak link on defense. I thought he was a better version of Calvin DeHaan honestly. 

you have to look at the entire package. Ghost couldn’t point a power-play like Tony could.  I could care less what he did with the flyers last year, because that was a bad fit with the two players and teams.  

Edited by Panthers Fan 69

2 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I watch Tony two years ago in person play for us about 40 times. The guy fits what Rod wants under his system. He’s going to be really good for us again and the second go around he’ll be better. And as far as our defense guys go last year, ghost was by far our worst.  Ghost was out of position quite a bit. He would have some good plays every once in a while, but he was our weak link on defense. I thought he was a better version of Calvin DeHaan honestly. 

you have to look at the entire package. Ghost couldn’t point a power-play like Tony could.  I could care less what he did with the flyers last year, because that was a bad fit with the two players and teams.  

You’re the only one I’ve heard talking about Ghost as a defensive liability. Every player gets caught out of position on occasion.

Meanwhile here’s a discussion of Deangelo’s defensive liability straight from his coaches mouth:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2023/02/09/philadelphia-flyers-coach-john-tortorella-criticism-tony-deangelo-defense-liability-not-happy-with-one-of-his-defensemen/

In any case time will tell if the Canes pick Tony up and how he performs defensively for us. What I hope doesn’t happen is for Tony to pull a cheap shot like he did in the video I posted and and blacken the Canes reputation.

• Pie 1

I think the point is switching out Ghost for Deangelo with Philly paying half his salary and us possibly getting more in return is pretty decent. Ghost will get overpaid (based on what our needs are) in UFA. Neither of them are big guys who will push people around in their own end.  Deangelo was good for us considering what we paid--and he will be that same value coming back. If we all want upgrades at goalie/scoring forward we have to find casualties of that and replacement level at cheaper.  Staal is already taking less, Ghost and our goalie situation are next up.

• Pie 4

27 minutes ago, backINblack28 said:

I think the point is switching out Ghost for Deangelo with Philly paying half his salary and us possibly getting more in return is pretty decent. Ghost will get overpaid (based on what our needs are) in UFA. Neither of them are big guys who will push people around in their own end.  Deangelo was good for us considering what we paid--and he will be that same value coming back. If we all want upgrades at goalie/scoring forward we have to find casualties of that and replacement level at cheaper.  Staal is already taking less, Ghost and our goalie situation are next up.

Yes and I understand this point. Ghost contract is pricey and Deangelo is half price. If this is what’s needed to get a scoring forward then go for it.

Just don’t go touting DeAngelo as better on defense than Ghost, that I ain’t buying. Maybe Tony can improve in defense though. He certainly needs to.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, DavidEng said:

Yes and I understand this point. Ghost contract is pricey and Deangelo is half price. If this is what’s needed to get a scoring forward then go for it.

Just don’t go touting DeAngelo as better on defense than Ghost, that I ain’t buying. Maybe Tony can improve in defense though. He certainly needs to.

You look to much at last year with Philly. Look at his time with us. Tony never fit phillys scheme. Square peg in a round hole kinda deal. Plus, and here is the big one, Tony sees the ice. Passes very well under rods system. Tony and ghost are a wash when it comes to defense. Like said earlier, ups and downs. Tony….in rods system…does so much more. Passes well. Scores more. Man’s a power play. To a man, you take Tony…again…in rods system all day over ghost. 

4 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

You look to much at last year with Philly. Look at his time with us. Tony never fit phillys scheme. Square peg in a round hole kinda deal. Plus, and here is the big one, Tony sees the ice. Passes very well under rods system. Tony and ghost are a wash when it comes to defense. Like said earlier, ups and downs. Tony….in rods system…does so much more. Passes well. Scores more. Man’s a power play. To a man, you take Tony…again…in rods system all day over ghost. 

You really have no clue what I’ve looked at. I’ve looked at stats for both players for all seasons and teams they’ve played for. If you think DeAngelos defense is as good as Ghosts well that’s on you lol. We each have our opinions so I’ll leave it there.

Edited by DavidEng

38 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

I will add regarding Tony “Mans a power play” you may not want to look at actual career PPG stats comparing Tony to Ghost, it’s no contest even taking into account games played, Ghost leads by a big margin there.

However ghost sucked on our already shitty second unit. TDA did not(tho he was on 1 most of the time), ya a full TC with a PP built around ghost he may be better but he also was way to worried about playing single high. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, DavidEng said:

You really have no clue what I’ve looked at. I’ve looked at stats for both players for all seasons and teams they’ve played for. If you think DeAngelos defense is as good as Ghosts well that’s on you lol. We each have our opinions so I’ll leave it there.

Same team. Good discussion. I hope they play well.  Good talk 😜. As long as they score and win then we all win. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Saw an analyst say that Ghost and Burns on a PP was a guaranteed goal. We never did it. Run Ghost-Burns on PP, Slavin-Pesce on regular defense, and TDA-Chatfield on " I'ma fugging hurt you" defense.

As long as Daniels is still here, I dont have much hope for the powerplay.

• Pie 2