• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Von Miller: The Panthers were the better team

Mr. Scot

46 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Our coaching didn't do us any favors.  Leaving Remmers alone to block Von Miller all game easily changed the outcome...

The story has come out since (I think from Gantt, not dead certain) that they actually did assign someone to help Remmers but whoever it was didn't do it.

Think someone theorized it was Tolbert but it was never confirmed.

1 hour ago, Cary Kollins said:

Feels a bit validating to hear him say this at least. Like Greg Olsen said on the same podcast, the Panthers picked the worst time to play their worst game of the year. Everything that could go wrong went wrong, and somehow it was still within reach in the second half. 

Two week break didn’t help and I feel like it contributed to our loss as well. I think if we did not have that two week break we would have still been hot instead of cool during the Super Bowl. 
I have never liked the two week break. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ron Rivera and Mike Shula vs Wade Phillips definitely mattered.

Atlanta had given everyone the blueprint for beating us already. Phillips followed it, and our staff did nothing to stop them.

Well, Von sort of is ending that totally out coached narrative.   The refs mattered way more.  Luck mattered more. Again, that Denver O was utter trash.  

If the game is just averagely called.....we win.  Denver wasn't even the second best team in the NFL. 

We went 17-1 going into that game.  There was no blueprint Atl showed.  Which is why we smashed people after that.  

• Pie 2

We were actually moving the ball pretty easily against the Broncos D. We crossed the 50 multiple times but almost every time we committed a big mistake. 
Broncos D was good but if everything went normally we would have won easily.

Also Norman missing 2 easy picks in Broncos territory didn’t help.

Our offense benefitted from short fields constantly during the season and playoffs and it never happened in the SB.

Just now, CRA said:

Well, Von sort of is ending that totally out coached narrative.   The refs mattered way more.  Luck mattered more. Again, that Denver O was utter trash.  

If the game is just averagely called.....we win.  Denver wasn't even the second best team in the NFL. 

We went 17-1 going into that game.  There was no blueprint Atl showed.  Which is why we smashed people after that.  

Oh, there was definitely a blueprint. You just had to be smart enough to see it, and Phillips is a defensive genius.

Even without that though, you've still got Wade Phillips vs Mike Shula. Combine that with Ron Rivera stating there was no need for any adjustments and you've got a recipe for disaster.

We've won poorly officiated games before. Hell, we won them that season.

You can win a poorly officiated game way easier than a poorly coached one.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The story has come out since (I think from Gantt, not dead certain) that they actually did assign someone to help Remmers but whoever it was didn't do it.

Think someone theorized it was Tolbert but it was never confirmed.

Yeah I read that, but then you pull the player that is refusing to run the play assignment and put in someone else to help block.  I would understand if it was a play or two, but it happened throughout the entire game.  A coach needs to have control over the player assignments.

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I read that, but then you pull the player that is refusing to run the play assignment and put in someone else to help block.  I would understand if it was a play or two, but it happened throughout the entire game.  A coach needs to have control over the player assignments.

No argument...

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Our coaching didn't do us any favors.  Leaving Remmers alone to block Von Miller all game easily changed the outcome...

Yep. I understand the ref blame game but Miller is clearly not referring to that. The game was truly lost by our poor coaching staff. They had two future HOF edge rushers and we didn’t adjust in any way. I can’t remember which Bronco defender said after the game that they knew exactly what we were doing, but that showed that they prepared for the game and Ron/Dave just assumed Cam and Luke would save the day. We had the more talented team and they had way better coaching. That’s what Miller means.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, t96 said:

you know I'm still pretty fuging pissed any time that game comes up and same goes for 2003 but that said, it'll make it all the more satisfying when Bryce leads us to the promised land

I have no problem rewatching highlights of 38, or even the full game if it's on.

Not 50 though. I wouldn't watch a single moment of that even at gunpoint 🤬

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

He wouldn’t have recovered it. Also the play was so fast he probably thought the fumble was already recovered and didn’t want to risk injury. 

I agreed with his decision not to jump on it then and I still do now. it wouldn't have made a difference because the fix was in. I still can't watch highlights of SB50 to this day and I don't know if I ever will be able to. 

1 minute ago, Manna said:

I agreed with his decision not to jump on it then and I still do now. it wouldn't have made a difference because the fix was in. I still can't watch highlights of SB50 to this day and I don't know if I ever will be able to. 

Never bought into the "fix" theories, but have said and continue to say that Newton was in no position to fall on that football.

It was too close to his feet. Unless he could have somehow dropped straight down (a physical impossibility) there was just no way for that to happen.

• Pie 3