• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCall Cut!

panfanman

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

This seems like a dumb move that we'll regret by mid season

NT's are hard to find.  Watch McCall ball out in New England.  I have a hard time believing our 300 pound DTs masquerading as NTs will fair very well against 320-300 pound guards. 

• Beer 1

21 hours ago, 07579394 said:

3-4 is over,4-3 again now

If we went through the entire offseason process, FA, draft, training camp, preseason, working on a base 3-4 and then switched to a base 4-3 because we couldn't find the right DT, then I'll have lost all faith in this staff before the preseason is even over.

It almost doesn't even matter anyways though, in today's NFL, most teams are running 3 or 4 WR on most snaps, thus needing an extra DB or 2 anyways, nobody plays base defenses much anymore unless their base has 5 DBs.

If we're not already there, within a few more years, the NFL will mostly have base defense packages that are 3-3-5, 4-2-5, or even 2-4-5, with the LB's in the non 4-2-5 defenses being pass rushers, like we have with Burns.  This is why having Chinn be successful this year and signing him to an extension is so important, I think his versatility is what's needed in today's game.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

NT's are hard to find.  Watch McCall ball out in New England.  I have a hard time believing our 300 pound DTs masquerading as NTs will fair very well against 320-300 pound guards. 

The ole watch them ball out for the Patriots lol

Ken Walter was the beginning and end of that trend 

Edited by csx
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I still think it had to have been a locker room/off-field issue.  Makes no sense personnel wise and Bekichick recognizes how to use talent, especially defensively.  He was built for the role he was designated for and the team site and coaching staff hyped him all TC.  True, the first depth charts generally don't mean much, but guys don't go from being touted and projected as the starter at an important position to cut before preseason is even over.  Something happened...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

So one if the most sought after defensive coordinators in the NFL says his preferred player type at the NT/DT position is not McCall. They really gave him a shot, but he couldn’t do what they wanted. So now half of the Huddle says he is wrong and he will regret it. That sounds about right and not surprising at all.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

38 minutes ago, Martin said:

So one if the most sought after defensive coordinators in the NFL says his preferred player type at the NT/DT position is not McCall. They really gave him a shot, but he couldn’t do what they wanted. So now half of the Huddle says he is wrong and he will regret it. That sounds about right and not surprising at all.

It's not that.  It's that they advertised him, even after seeing him line up as the starter in TC, as being that guy, then suddenly now don't.  I'm not questioning Evero.  I'm questioning the timing of it and how and why their opinion of him shifted so drastically so quickly - yet, Belichick sees value in him.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

It's not that.  It's that they advertised him, even after seeing him line up as the starter in TC, as being that guy, then suddenly now don't.  I'm not questioning Evero.  I'm questioning the timing of it and how and why their opinion of him shifted so drastically so quickly - yet, Belichick sees value in him.

Belichick also saw value in a guy like Kony Ealy. So much that he traded for him and got next to nothing in return production wise.

BB makes plenty of questionable personnel decisions, like we do.

Let’s see how this plays out.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1