• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Status of Rhule era draft picks

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

i refelt something towards the end of last year. Felt like the late 2004 run. So we at 2005 now gonna make the nfc championship. 

What I saw was a reminder of how far this team has fallen, again.  This team needed a staff and roster purge. The only question was when and how far was Tepper willing to go. 

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

I tried to be. Lasted a couple weeks.

I forced enthusiasm and I think a lot did. We were desperate for something good.

I haven't had to force any enthusiasm this year.

Pretty similar to me. I was never a big fan of hiring a college coach but I did what I could to be positive.

My first real "uh oh" moment was when Tepper and Marty were telling the story about his interview. Couldn't help but think it sounded like a couple of senior citizens describing how smart the young man who sold them their new insurance policy sounded. When the info about him having total control hit, that was another "grin and stay positive" moment, but the unease was still there.

Of course, the start of season two made it look like it was actually going to work though. Everybody was excited, until we hit mid-season and realized it all just been an illusion.

The Rhule era (If a three year period can be called that) was a heck of a rollercoaster.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This was a question someone asked in the cut thread. Thought I'd go ahead and post the table here.

1 (7) DT Derrick Brown
2 (38) DE Yetur Gross-Matos
2 (64) S/LB Jeremy Chinn

----------

4 (113) CB Troy Pride Jr
5 (152) S Kenny Robinson
6 (184) DT Bravvion Roy
7 (221) CB Stantley Thomas-Oliver III *

1 (8) CB Jaycee Horn
2 (59) WR Terrace Marshall Jr
3 (70) T Brady Christensen
3 (83) TE Tommy Tremble
4 (126) RB Chuba Hubbard

----------

5 (158) DT Daviyon Nixon
5 (166) CB Keith Taylor
6 (193) G Deonte Brown *
6 (204) WR Shi Smith *
6 (222) LS Thomas Fletcher    
7 (232) DT Phil Hoskins

1 (6) T Ickey Ekwonu
3 (94) QB Matt Corral
6 (189) DE Amaré Barno
6 (199) OL Cade Mays    

----------

4 (120) LB Brandon Smith *    
7 (242) CB Kalon Barnes

Still fluid of course, but that's where we stand at the moment. The guys with asterisks could potentially be brought back to the practice squad.

Comparing notes...

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, thunderraiden said:

Sounds like an upgrade over hurney considering we're still hitting on Round 1 and making some good picks sometimes on round 2 and 3 unlike Hurney which was no picks outside of round 1 ever lol

I think people forget Hurney was good at trades and finding players that didn't pan out with one team but come here and flourish. 

Just now, ncguy2184 said:

I think people forget Hurney was good at trades and finding players that didn't pan out with one team but come here and flourish. 

I mean pre lockout talk Hurney was a pretty good GM.   Then lockout window hit and I think Jerry was a big part in us going sideways, dumb contracts, etc.  

6 minutes ago, ncguy2184 said:

Marty sometimes found a good players. He also all too frequently found mediocre to bad ones.

Ultimately, if you want to accurately judge a GM, you pretty much have to look at the whole roster.

Marty just didn't build winning teams, even when he had cornerstone guys like Newton and Kuechly to build around.

• Pie 1

Just now, ThPantherFan said:

At the least.  Lot of ?s.

If they get lucky in the draft, and find better depth in the next offseason, and most of all stay healthy, I could see them making some noise in the playoffs.  But thats a lot of it's that have to go their way.

• Beer 1

Person's post cutdown thoughts...

Rough day for Matt Rhule guys

Rhule had a big say in personnel during his three seasons in Carolina. But Reich and the new staff said goodbye to five of the draft picks from Rhule’s tenure. All were third-day picks: receiver Shi Smith, cornerbacks Keith Taylor and Stantley Thomas-Oliver, linebacker Brandon Smith and offensive lineman Deonte Brown, who was waived at roster cutdowns for the second year in a row.

Brandon Smith was the highest draft pick among Tuesday’s casualties. The Panthers took Smith in the fourth round from Rhule’s Penn State alma mater despite very little college production. Smith, Taylor and Brown were part of an 11-player class in 2021. Six of the seven players chosen on the third day that year are gone, with running back Chuba Hubbard (fourth round) the lone man standing.

Thomas-Oliver’s exit means only three players remain from the all-defensive draft class brought in by Rhule and Marty Hurney in 2020 shortly after Rhule was hired: first-round pick Derrick Brown and second-rounders Yetur Gross-Matos and Chinn.