• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was Chark a mistake?

Jmac

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Way too soon to know that but even if it was, it was a low risk one.

But only in a vacuum when looking at the contract given to him.

The other side of the same coin is the risk of signing an injury prone player instead of someone with a better history of being able to stay on the field, which I don't think makes it a "low risk" signing when looked that way.

And that's always been my hangup with the signing because of having a rookie QB that we want to set up for success, he needs his best WR options on the field.

2 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I hate this argument, because being the #1 target on a specific play call doesn't mean they're the #1.

If all our WRs were healthy for the entire season, as things stand right now (i.e. before knowing if TMJ or Mingo could break out and become the top option), Chark would be on the field for more snaps than any of our other WRs.

THAT is what makes him our #1 WR, it's not about being the main target on any given play, it's that he'd be on the field more than any other WR.  Plus, he'll line up almost exclusively on the outside, whereas Thielen will be mainly in the slot and both Mingo/TMJ are likely to take slot snaps as well.

Regardless of how things shake out, it's clear that the staff's plan was for Chark to be the top WR in terms of the depth chart and snap share just based on the rest of the WR room.  So whether or not he was going to be the #1 target in any given play is irrelevant, particularly if/when he's injured and isn't even playing, because then we don't have enough quality WRs to put on the field in his place anyways.

Yes, I understand that this offense will be predicated on coverage and Bryce just making the smart reads as opposed to focusing on one WR as his top target, but that doesn't mean there isn't a snap share pecking order, of which, Chark was planned on being at the top of it.

A lot of assumptions in all of that. 

Just now, Jon Snow said:

A lot of assumptions in all of that. 

I don't think there are.

Until he got banged up, everyone was raving about how he's looked in camp and that Bryce and him were developing a nice connection and that he was looking like a great signing.  Now that he's banged up, it's changed to "well we were always going to be a WR by committee so it's not THAT big of a deal"

Thielen isn't an outside WR at this point in his career (and there isn't anything wrong with that, he'll be great in the slot for us).

TMJ has been very up and down in his career and nobody knows what he'll end up being (if/when healthy).

Mingo is a rookie so we were never going to bank on him being the primary outside WR option this year.

Chark, when healthy, was going to be our clear cut #1 outside WR this season, hence why it's pretty safe to say the plan going into the season was for him to be our WR1, which I always felt was a bad plan with his injury history.

Just now, Jmac said:

No word at all on his status. With his past history, I would be leary of having confidence in him to say healthy. Hammys can be problematic. They traded for a speedster, but he is not a #1 receiver.

So what to do? Wide receiver by committee? Doubt we will get the guy we need waiting for cuts?

Can they succeed with what they have? Hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Since Marty 2.0 popped his head up, we’ve had a pretty sizable issue with signing (or not releasing) players coming off injuries. Paradis, Okung, Olsen (as much as we like him, the last extension was not good value), Short and I’m sure others I’m not thinking of off the top of my head. These are the people who had injuries the season before, not just bad luck after we signed them. Chark falls in the bucket of prior injuries.

It does suck because we need weapons around Young. Thielen has looked solid but no one else has looked special. Mingo bounced off a tackle and made a nice YAC, but he also caused an incompletion by stopping his route. Marshall and Chark are hurt and I don’t recall Hurst or any other TE doing anything interesting.

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

No Hopkins was the mistake.

You had a chance to get a #1 WR and you chose to stick with what we had. Injuries happen this is why you get the most talented player available.

Now we have to trade for scraps last minute. Hopefully Mingo lives up to the hype.

Guy, you need to stop with this nonsense, the fact that you haven't been able to understand this one yet is a bit baffling.

Once we signed Chark and subsequently drafted Mingo, Hopkins was never even an option.  Signing Chark was the mistake, because if he didn't, we'd then have had the roster spot and money to go after Hopkins, but that ship had long sailed by the time he was released by the Cardinals.

You don't sign someone to be a starter, only to sign someone else for more money because you don't trust the guy you just signed to stay healthy, it doesn't work that way.  The way it works is to just not sign the injury prone guy from the start, but they screwed that one up, so we're stuck with it.

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

I don't think there are.

Until he got banged up, everyone was raving about how he's looked in camp and that Bryce and him were developing a nice connection and that he was looking like a great signing.  Now that he's banged up, it's changed to "well we were always going to be a WR by committee so it's not THAT big of a deal"

Thielen isn't an outside WR at this point in his career (and there isn't anything wrong with that, he'll be great in the slot for us).

TMJ has been very up and down in his career and nobody knows what he'll end up being (if/when healthy).

Mingo is a rookie so we were never going to bank on him being the primary outside WR option this year.

Chark, when healthy, was going to be our clear cut #1 outside WR this season, hence why it's pretty safe to say the plan going into the season was for him to be our WR1, which I always felt was a bad plan with his injury history.

You seem to be obsessed with this #1 wr thing. 

First of all, the chemistry between he and Bryce has nothing to do with wr position that you are concerned with. Bruce has chemistry with several others as well.

Secondly, it was always going to be receiver by committee. Chark is one of them.

Third, Frank has clearly stated numerous times that any receiver that wants to make this team must be able to play all 3 positions at receiver. They must be able to play the x, y, and z position. 

So for the last time. No, Chark is not being depended on the be the "#1" receiver. 

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

With Chark the contract matches the risk.  It was a good deal.  1 year $5 million for a potential WR1.  Say he plays half of the games this year.  $5 million for 8.5 games of healthy Chark isn't a terrible deal in itself.  

Unless Mingo absolutely breaks out for a 1k type of rookie season, then yes, that would make it a disastrous deal because of the other side of the equation.

As I've said, in a vacuum, the contract we gave Chark wasn't a bad one.  The problem is that the money and roster/depth chart spot would have been better spent on someone more likely to play in more games.

If this was year 3 or 4 of Bryce, it's a totally different story, but this year has 1 goal above all others, and it's the development of Bryce.  To do that, he needs his weapons on the field, and we already have a questionable WR room, to have the top depth chart guy be someone with his injury history was never a good idea.

30 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Yes, I said it was a mistake the second we signed him, he's far too injury prone to make him our top WR option for a rookie QB.  

No problem with the player himself when he's on the field, but the problem is he's never been able to stay on the field.  If he was already on the team, so be it, but to sign him as our #1 outside WR was a big mistake.

He wasnt that expensive and I dont see anywhere that he was signed to be a number 1 unless I missed it?

• Pie 1