• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns out of practice, Frank Reich not saying if absence is contract-related

WarPanthers89

Panthers pass rusher Brian Burns is heading into the fifth and final season of his contract, and he may be getting impatient for a new deal.

Burns missed practice today for reasons that head coach Frank Reich declined to explain.

“It was a personal matter,” Reich said.

Asked later if Burns’ absence was about his contract, Reich would neither confirm nor deny it.

“I’ll just refer that to Brian,” Reich said. “It’s impossible for me to have more respect than I do for Brian. It’s his personal matter. And secondly, as a matter of policy, it’s not my role to talk about contracts, even if that’s what it was.”

The Panthers see the 25-year-old Burns as a major part of their future, and they surely hope to get him signed soon. But Burns may want it done even sooner, and he may have sent a message about that today.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/brian-burns-out-of-practice-frank-reich-not-saying-if-absence-is-contract-related

Happy National Football League GIF by Carolina Panthers

Edited by WarPanthers89

2 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

The Panthers need to go ahead and give him slightly more than TJ Watt as Bosa is going to come in and smash that contract

No, no they don't. Burns isn't near the player those 2 are.  You've got to take your feels out of business man.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 7
  • Beer 1

Little weird that he couldn’t just say, “no it’s not contract related” if that’s the case.

Need to get this done before the season starts, just give him a tad less than Watt got, his agents can’t be expecting more.  It will look like a bargain for us if he explodes this season when compared to what it would then take to keep him from leaving in FA.

4 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

The Panthers need to go ahead and give him slightly more than TJ Watt as Bosa is going to come in and smash that contract

I'm all for seeing what Burns can do in the new scheme prior to paying him. Before we hand him an elite, game changing pass rusher contract we might as well see him in the new scheme first. He has played in very few meaningful games in his career and I just can't forget that in one of the very few last year with a playoff berth on the line Brian Burns' face was on a milk carton. 

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm all for seeing what Burns can do in the new scheme prior to paying him. Before we hand him an elite, game changing pass rusher contract we might as well see him in the new scheme first. He has played in very few meaningful games in his career and I just can't forget that in one of the very few last year with a playoff berth on the line Brian Burns' face was on a milk carton. 

1 player doesn't make a team. Burns is simply a pass rushers which happens to be the 2nd most important position outside of QB.

I don't care what we pay him just get a deal done. Last thing this team needs is our best defensive player off the field because we don't want to pay him.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The problem is if he then goes and balls out this year, puts up 15 sacks, we’ll have to make him the highest paid defensive player in league history to be able to keep him.

The odds aren’t good that he’ll suck in the new system, particularly since he’s still going to just be rushing the passer on most snaps.

Better to lock him up now and maybe over pay his CURRENT market rate than risk having to pay market rate next offseason, which will 100% be higher if he has a good year.

We turned down 2 firsts for him, have to lock him up long term on a deal that doesn’t make him the highest paid defender in the league

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He was last spotted on the sideline of that game standing behind Wilks who had a bewildered look on his face as Brady hit Evans for the second time on a wide open TD. 

• Pie 1

Just now, tukafan21 said:

The problem is if he then goes and balls out this year, puts up 15 sacks, we’ll have to make him the highest paid defensive player in league history to be able to keep him.

The odds aren’t good that he’ll suck in the new system, particularly since he’s still going to just be rushing the passer on most snaps.

Better to lock him up now and maybe over pay his CURRENT market rate than risk having to pay market rate next offseason, which will 100% be higher if he has a good year.

If he does, he does. I just want to see him breakthrough and show that he's elite before paying him like he's elite. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

We turned down 2 firsts for him, have to lock him up long term on a deal that doesn’t make him the highest paid defender in the league

Is that you Marty?

• Pie 3