• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

12 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Yes, because the rest of the league had no idea who Burns was, and how important he is to our defense. 

Some of the poo Y'all talk yourselves into has zero logic. 

Obviously, the teams that tried to trade for him didn't feel that their logic was zero. We were and still are in construction mode, so trading our best pass rusher for multiple picks would be no different than trading our best WR for multiple picks, so there is logic. However zero logic with me is why some people on the huddle feel they need to lash out or be asinine when a respectful conversation would go far better in building the fan base of the team we support. KEEP POUNDING...

• Beer 1

In all seriousness, there were two first round picks offered for Burns from the Rams weren't there? Was there any other picks or just two first rounders? We are kind of stuck. If we dont resign him then we just gave up two first rounders for nothing but im sure we will resign him and it appears he may be getting paid as either right under the number 1 salary in the league or slightly above.

• Beer 1

Just now, Ricky Prickles said:

In all seriousness, there were two first round picks offered for Burns from the Rams weren't there? Was there any other picks or just two first rounders? We are kind of stuck. If we dont resign him then we just gave up two first rounders for nothing but im sure we will resign him and it appears he may be getting paid as either right under the number 1 salary in the league or slightly above.

It was a 2023 2nd, 2024 1st, and 2025 1st.

Folks are hyper focused on the 2024 1st round selection because they're assuming that the Rams are going to have a tremendous falling off (which they might, but I believe it's due to their difficult schedule rather than it being a talent deficiency which is what most folks seem to believe).

The Rams 2nd would have given the Panthers a pick just 3 spots before they selected Mingo. Sure, they could have replaced Brian Burns with BJ Ojulari but anybody that believes BJ is anywhere near the prospect that Burns was they are smoking the finest of crack.

1 minute ago, Icege said:

Folks are hyper focused on the 2024 1st round selection because they're assuming that the Rams are going to have a tremendous falling off (which they might, but I believe it's due to their difficult schedule rather than it being a talent deficiency which is what most folks seem to believe).

The Rams 2nd would have given the Panthers a pick just 3 spots before they selected Mingo. Sure, they could have replaced Brian Burns with BJ Ojulari but anybody that believes BJ is anywhere near the prospect that Burns was they are smoking the finest of crack.

I agree, definitely would not have been replacing him this year with that second round pick. I guess that potential trade would have only paid off well if the Rams were awful the next couple years and then I guess it is still a roll of the dice to hope whoever you do pick to replace him with one of those picks ends up being good and developing.  I guess we are where we currently are and must roll with what we currently have. They are definitely going to have to pay up big to keep Burns obviously but I wonder how much.

10 minutes ago, Icege said:

What about the the 25-30M/year you can spend on replacement(s). You can believe whatever you want about the Rams but there was always a good possibility they were in decline and nothing since has changed that. 

So for the privilege of overpaying an Edge worth around 20M/yr, they turned down two top half 1sts, pick 36, and the one great or two very good players they could have signed  with the same money. And this was a good idea? This is close to the Teddys contract is team friendly BS. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

22 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I agree, definitely would not have been replacing him this year with that second round pick. I guess that potential trade would have only paid off well if the Rams were awful the next couple years and then I guess it is still a roll of the dice to hope whoever you do pick to replace him with one of those picks ends up being good and developing.  I guess we are where we currently are and must roll with what we currently have. They are definitely going to have to pay up big to keep Burns obviously but I wonder how much.

I could see the trade paying off if the Panthers were able to trade up in 2024 to select Jared Verse to put on the edge (and he panned out) but that isn't possible with the trade up for Bryce. That would also require going this season with Houston-YGM as the #1 & #2 pass rushers though, which means that are 1st that got traded away for Bryce would just be better for the Bears.

As much as folks want to dump on Burns, they're ignoring the truth in that he hasn't been at his natural position (3-4 OLB) until last season when he put up 12.5 sacks in Phil Snow's defense without Haason Reddick across from him like the year before.

I'll be honest: I'll take the people who might not be considering those details all day over folks that can't read a spreadsheet but think they can discuss an NFL salary cap. At least the former is open to facts, the latter thinks they already know them.

Edited by Icege

8 minutes ago, Toomers said:

What about the the 25-30M/year you can spend on replacement(s). You can believe whatever you want about the Rams but there was always a good possibility they were in decline and nothing since has changed that. 

So for the privilege of overpaying an Edge worth around 20M/yr, they turned down two top half 1sts, pick 36, and the one great or two very good players they could have signed  with the same money. And this was a good idea? This is close to the Teddys contract is team friendly BS. 

It sucks when you look at it that way but we cant change it now so have to do what we can at this point and I guess that is pay Burns handsomely or let him walk away eventually and or holdout. No other options really.

1 minute ago, Icege said:

I could see the trade paying off if the Panthers were able to trade up in 2024 to select Jared Verse to put on the edge (and he panned out) but that isn't possible with the trade up for Bryce. That would also require going this season with Houston-YGM as the #1 & #2 pass rushers though, which means that are 1st that got traded away for Bryce would just be better for the Bears.

As much as folks want to dump on Burns, they're ignoring the truth in that he hasn't been at his natural position (3-4 OLB) until last season when he put up 12.5 sacks in Phil Snow's defense without Haason Reddick across from him like the year before.

I'll be honest: I'll take the people who might not be considering those details all day over folks that can't read a spreadsheet but think they can discuss an NFL salary cap. At least the former is open to facts, the latter thinks they already know them.

I would like to see what he does this year and then sign him at seasons end if he prospers in this new system but not so sure if he likes that idea unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I would like to see what he does this year and then sign him at seasons end if he prospers in this new system but not so sure if he likes that idea unfortunately.

I don't think he's going to mind. In the end, as long as he's getting his market value he's going to be happy. If that means leaving a place that has crazy people thinking he's only worth $20M/yr, so be it.