• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we need to see from Bryce and the offensive philosophy

NAS

11 minutes ago, NAS said:

They need to just turn him loose and encourage him to be more aggressive rather than “protect the football”.  He will never develop as a QB playing scared of turnovers. Last night felt like an overreaction to the 2 INTs last week in a game where Bryce was very decisive in the first half. Last night he was more hesitant at times and did not really challenge the secondary.  I think that Reich implied in the press conference that there were opportunities that we didn’t tale advantage of. 

Bryce needs to prove he can make the deep throws outside the lines, regardless of turnovers. Peyton Manning broke the record for a rookie with interceptions but he was very aggressive downfield with 11.46 yards per completion and 26 TDs. 

We need to see that Bryce can make all the throws, the “processing” can wait. This team isn’t competing for division this year, they should focus on his development as a franchise QB.  No more dink and dunk BS

I agree if you going to go down, go down swinging like the Colts did with Manning.

Like we did with Newton.

This timidness is what produces Sam Donald's of the NFL not perennial probowlers

• Pie 5

15 minutes ago, NAS said:

They need to just turn him loose and encourage him to be more aggressive rather than “protect the football”.  He will never develop as a QB playing scared of turnovers. Last night felt like an overreaction to the 2 INTs last week in a game where Bryce was very decisive in the first half. Last night he was more hesitant at times and did not really challenge the secondary.  I think that Reich implied in the press conference that there were opportunities that we didn’t tale advantage of. 

Bryce needs to prove he can make the deep throws outside the lines, regardless of turnovers. Peyton Manning broke the record for a rookie with interceptions but he was very aggressive downfield with 11.46 yards per completion and 26 TDs. 

We need to see that Bryce can make all the throws, the “processing” can wait. This team isn’t competing for division this year, they should focus on his development as a franchise QB.  No more dink and dunk BS

I’m told nobody is open so there’s no downfield targets for him to play aggressive with. 

Attempting to throw deep on third down and possibly getting intercepted isn’t a bad play. The net result is basically the same as punting but at least the deep pass has to chance to result in something positive for the offense. Bryce has barely even attempted to throw up a prayer in the first two games. Why? I have no idea.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Varking said:

I’m told nobody is open so there’s no downfield targets for him to play aggressive with. 

Maybe but he has to try and throw them open. One of Carr’s deep completions last night was to a receiver who was really well covered 

7 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Attempting to throw deep on third down and possibly getting intercepted isn’t a bad play. The net result is basically the same as punting but at least the deep pass has to chance to result in something positive for the offense. Bryce has barely even attempted to throw up a prayer in the first two games. Why? I have no idea.

Alot of it has to do with Reich's playcalling, he kept trying to play in front of the sticks, I guess he doesnt fully trust Young.

The announcers kept mentioning now would be a time to take a shot, and he kept calling safe screen passes and runs up the middle that netted no yards. So the end result we were behind the sticks anyway.

Edited by Pantherxtreme
  • Pie 3

12 minutes ago, Pantherxtreme said:

Alot of it has to do with Reich's playcalling, he kept trying to play in front of the sticks, I guess he doesnt fully trust Young.

The announcers kept mentioning now would be a time to take a shot, and he kept calling safe screen passes and runs up the middle that netted no yards. So the end result we were behind the sticks anyway.

If you go back and watch some of those plays we had a guy running deep routes but Bryce didn’t make the decision to throw that direction. Same thing happened against the Falcons once he missed his first two deep balls. 

You have to take risks in the NFL. Guys aren’t going to be streaking wide open down the field like they do in college. Henderson had good coverage on Olave but Carr still threw one up and his receiver made an amazing play. I have yet to see Bryce take that risk.

1 minute ago, Eazy-E said:

If you go back and watch some of those plays we had a guy running deep routes but Bryce didn’t make the decision to throw that direction. Same thing happened against the Falcons once he missed his first two deep balls. 

You have to take risks in the NFL. Guys aren’t going to be streaking wide open down the field like they do in college. Henderson had good coverage on Olave but Carr still threw one up and his receiver made an amazing play. I have yet to see Bryce take that risk.

In fairness, he did try that with DJ Chark that in the pass interference penalty

• Pie 2

I just don't understand how we seem to always be the team stuck with prehistoric offensive philosophies. Frank has no business calling the plays, why even hire the other guy if he's not going to be the OC. Focus on being the coach, fix the mess that this is, and let the OC call the plays.

• Pie 7

12 minutes ago, NAS said:

In fairness, he did try that with DJ Chark that in the pass interference penalty

Im a little surprised they didn’t just call it defensive holding because you could argue that ball was uncatchable. It was a bad throw but I’m glad he at least attempted it.