• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL executives give Bryce Young early grade

Icege

46 minutes ago, Varking said:

I don’t fully equate potential with size and speed. I don’t believe Bryce is some between the ear genius where he’s significantly smarter in a football sense than CJ Stroud. But Stroud is a taller guy, with more weight to him, with a better arm, and he’s not having issues making reads and I’d argue he’s as mobile as Bryce if not a little more. He just didn’t show it until the UGA game. 

Richardson has basically unlimited potential. Will he reach that? I doubt it but potential-wise he’s above both Stroud and Bryce. 

Bryce was supposed to be the high floor safe pick. Most evaluators had no doubt he would be good in there NFL the only question was size/durability. Which you do have to ask yourself if he’s playing through a bum ankle will this cause him to form some bad habits just to be out there playing? 

Hoping the ankle is just the team managing risk at this point. As much as it turned my stomach at first, I do think there is some credence to the “reset theory.” May end up looking pretty heady, if he comes back from injury showing improvement in his game.

I do love AR as a player, super fun to watch. 

Would love to watch all three of these guys grow and develop into legitimate pro’s. Obviously the vested interest here is Bryce.

With all these things only time will tell. 

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, Varking said:

What do folks want to talk about here? If I talk about the season itself im told it’s just 3 games, if I talk about what the offseason was like im told it doesn’t matter. So maybe we should have a game day thread, threads for injury updates and that’s it? Or does weeks 1-3 going into week 4 show Stroud and Richardson as better players so far than Bryce? 

Huh?  You've genuinely lost me...I'm literally engaging with you in discussion right now.  So I don't know why you're acting like I'm wanting to censor these kinds of discussions.

First off, can you point out anyone who is saying that Bryce has played better than Stroud or Richardson so far?  You like to call people out for mischaracterizing others' positions and tell them to quote people who said X or Y things.  So I'd like you to point out who is saying Bryce has played the best out of the three QBs so far.

Rather, people are attempting to rationalize Bryce's struggles.  I.e. he's a rookie with 2 starts, his o-line has been awful, his receivers aren't getting separation, playcalling has been uncreative, etc.  You and others wanting to strawman this into people claiming Bryce is playing awesome so far, is just dishonest.  I understand why you do it because it's such an easy slam-dunk claim to debunk.  He objectively has not been playing good.  We know that.  The difference is in how much blame rests on Bryce's shoulders and his long-term career outlook.

The whole "it's just 3 games" argument - this is specifically in response to career projection/long-term outlook.  People saying "it's just 3 games" are saying it's too soon to tell who is going to have a better career between the three of them.  Do you actually disagree with that?  I hope not...that shouldn't be a contentious position.  But you can still evaluate Bryce's supporting cast and our team's performance in 3 games.  Hell, you can do it 1 game.  Again, that goes to my previous point about rationalizing Bryce's struggles.  It makes sense to say "it's just 3 games" when judging whether Bryce will ultimately pan out or not.  It doesn't make sense to say "it's just 3 games" to completely disregard how each team's supporting cast has been performing thus far.  Does that clarify things?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

What is the relevance of what our situations looked like "going into the season" when we're heading into Week 4 and actually have empirical evidence to evaluate?  Going into the season, Icky was our stalwart LT...now he's unfortunately resembling more of a turnstile.  Which impression do you think is more relevant to current day?  Going into the season, we had a pretty strong ILB duo.  Now Shaq and Frankie are both injured.  Going into the season, Chuba was considered a joke on these boards and most people didn't even want him on the roster.  Now people are saying he's our best RB and want him to get more carries over Miles.  One more, and I know you'll love this one: going into the season, Bryce was considered the most "pro ready" QB with the easiest transition.  Now going into Week 4, he has struggled more than either Stroud or Richardson.  Do we favor the pre-season perception or should we favor the actual game tape this season?

You're right about the perception of us vs. the Texans before the season, but historical perception does not often equate to current reality.

So is this code for people should just keep their mouths shut until the real games start and not make crazy declarations based off pre season and off season if they dont want to hear about it later? Can't think of anything else this should mean. 

5 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

So is this code for people should just keep their mouths shut until the real games start and not make crazy declarations based off pre season and off season if they dont want to hear about it later? Can't think of anything else this should mean. 

You can make any declarations you want.  It's just meaningless...I can make a preseason declaration that Jonathan Mingo was going to break the single season receiving record and catch 47 TDs and win League MVP.  I just don't get to point to it 3 games into the season and say that it still holds up because I said it.

I.e. making a preseason declaration that Bryce was going into the best situation of all three rookie QBs doesn't necessarily make it so when we actually have footage to review.  The former is speculative, the latter is empirical.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

You can make any declarations you want.  It's just meaningless...I can make a preseason declaration that Jonathan Mingo was going to break the single season receiving record and catch 47 TDs and win League MVP.  I just don't get to point to it 3 games into the season and say that it still holds up because I said it.

I.e. making a preseason declaration that Bryce was going into the best situation of all three rookie QBs doesn't necessarily make it so when we actually have footage to review.  The former is speculative, the latter is empirical.

And what footage would that be? Because a lot of people right here on this forum said it and even the Front office GM alluded to it "dropping a QB in" so either they were all watching the same footage or there was something they all saw they werent telling everybody else. 

The guy that runs this forum had to make a thread just to temper everybody down because he wasn't buying it either. 

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

And what footage would that be? Because a lot of people right here on this forum said it and even the Front office GM alluded to it "dropping a QB in" so either they were all watching the same footage or there was something they all saw they werent telling everybody else. 

The guy that runs this forum had to make a thread just to temper everybody down because he wasn't buying it either. 

Footage = game tape from Weeks 1-3.  I'm not talking about college tape.  I'm talking about the footage that shows our o-line being manhandled, receivers being blanketed and/or poorly executing on their routes, questionable playcalling resulting in a lot of 3rd and longs, etc.

• Pie 1