• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Johnson?

ATLpanther

Panther nation is full of negative takes so I hate to pile on but DJ Johnson has yet to be active for a game in 2023. Anyone have any info on what the deal is with DJ? 
I know he was drafted as a project but if the dude isn’t even getting special teams reps then it’s pretty hard to have a positive take on him and his future. 

• Pie 1

The guy is a 25 year old rookie who bounced around the roster in college with his coaches trying to find a spot to make use of his athletic talents. It was always a baffling pick to me and a pick they forced IMO. Seemed like they were hell-bent on drafting an edge rusher relatively early and panicked when they started flying off the board. I said as much when the pick was made.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The guy is a 25 year old rookie who bounced around the roster in college with his coaches trying to find a spot to make use of his athletic talents. It was always a baffling pick to me and a pick they forced IMO. Seemed like they were hell-bent on drafting an edge rusher relatively early and panicked when they started flying off the board. I said as much when the pick was made.

I hated our draft after Young. I wanted corner or edge at #2. We reacted and reached after a run on edge for Johnson and are paying the price for it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

I hated our draft after Young. I wanted corner or edge at #2. We reacted and reached after a run on edge for Johnson and are paying the price for it.

still wish we would have drafted Darnell Washington.  Steelers have essentially used him as a 6th offensive lineman.   

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I’m not a fan of Fitterer but it does seem like he gets enamored by players like Hurney did so we don’t seem to capitalize on draft strengths or see talent that falls. He also panics like Hurney. Greg Little was a falling knife where 31 other teams saw how bad he was in the combine position drills and Hurney had to have him. Same with Grier when Crosby was sitting there. DJ Johnson wasn’t on a hype train and we traded up to get him earlier than needed. Same with Corral and the trade for Darnold. Rams/Bucs/SF just waited for us to drop QBs we sent 4 draft picks to get.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The word was that his visit went terribly and he rubbed everyone the wrong way. Maybe he just didn't want to be here.

I mean, after the Matt Rhule era I probably would have come in and been like...

Gif Filmsterren Dave Chappelle Reactie Chappelles Show Popcopy ...

to not get drafted. 

I mean, Tomlin is pretty hard nosed.  Never had a losing season.  Ever.  So I tend to lean toward Tomlin being right over our guys about folks.  Plus I think teams leak whatever they want to justify their picks and make them look good.  Don't second guess us.  He was a bad interview.  DJ Johnson was a great one.  So obviously we picked DJ. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The word was that his visit went terribly and he rubbed everyone the wrong way. Maybe he just didn't want to be here.

Just like the bad zoom call leading to the Colts new coach being 2-1. I’m starting to feel like we put out CYA news when anyone feels like the fans might wonder about a move.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get it but us drafting him is water under the bridge. I hated the pick too. But god damn….special teams should be a place for an athletic freak regardless if he’s going to pan out as a pass rusher. Why the F isn’t he even playing special teams?! Why is no one asking questions about him in the media?

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This off season sealed the deal for me on Fitts. I thought maybe it was Rhule influencing the picks, but he did the same poo again. He panicked and reached for a guy when he screwed up taking Mingo. Nothing against Mingo, but edge rushers are harder to come by than WRs. You have to know the value of certain positions in the draft. Who knew that there would be a run on edge rushers? Oh I don't know. Maybe everybody. 

• Pie 4