• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Every Bryce Young pass/run- week 4

CRA

19 minutes ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

The play calling is utter garbage. I think we all know that. Running up the middle and bubble screens do not make an effective offense. Particularly, when everyone watching knows what is going to happen ahead of time.

The bubble screens are generally more successful than our rushing attack right now.  As far as Bryce being gun shy on passes beyond 15+ yards and those outside the hashes, your guess is as good as mine as to why. 

Again, Seattle was different, but there was also a different QB in that game.

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

Frank conceded he has to put new plays in for Dalton downfield per the vets request.  Which certainly implied Frank intentionally kept it short weeks 1-2 at least vs Seattle 

So every play beyond 20 yards was put into the playbook just for the Seattle game?  Cool, let me know how this weeks meetings go at the stadium since you are there.

image.png.a3b0ea141014e92826878b4ee8993b97.png

I know 2017 was like so yesterday, like stone ages ago, but I'm pretty sure Frank was the OC for the Super Bowl Champions.  Carson Wentz was looking like the League MVP  before he got injured and then some journeyman backup ended up winning the title.  Neither did crap when they left.

But yeah, it's all the coach.  Hell, I mean we could still have Rhule and be throwing the rookie under the bus every week.  At least Frank is deflecting blame from the rookie and putting it on himself.  Do you think Rhule would have accepted blame for a personnel botch on a play.  Frank didn't have to disclose that level of detail, but he did in order to take heat off the rookie who had been struggling to get plays off in time.

• Pie 1

What sticks out to me - when Bryce plays hurry up, or plays with urgency, he is good.

No idea why he and/or Reich are taking the play clock all the way down to 0. The other team just jumps and then it ends with a sack.

My guess is its Reich, he is very old school. Just a disaster of a hire.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.a3b0ea141014e92826878b4ee8993b97.png

I know 2017 was like so yesterday, like stone ages ago, but I'm pretty sure Frank was the OC for the Super Bowl Champions.  Carson Wentz was looking like the League MVP  before he got injured and then some journeyman backup ended up winning the title.  Neither did crap when they left.

But yeah, it's all the coach.  Hell, I mean we could still have Rhule and be throwing the rookie under the bus every week.  At least Frank is deflecting blame from the rookie and putting it on himself.  Do you think Rhule would have accepted blame for a personnel botch on a play.  Frank didn't have to disclose that level of detail, but he did in order to take heat off the rookie who had been struggling to get plays off in time.

Pederson called the plays in 2017

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

30 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The bubble screens are generally more successful than our rushing attack right now.  As far as Bryce being gun shy on passes beyond 15+ yards and those outside the hashes, your guess is as good as mine as to why. 

Again, Seattle was different, but there was also a different QB in that game.

He's 3/12 throwing 15+ and that's not including the two INTs that came just shy of 15 yards. He only has one attempt 25+.

11 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

What sticks out to me - when Bryce plays hurry up, or plays with urgency, he is good.

No idea why he and/or Reich are taking the play clock all the way down to 0. The other team just jumps and then it ends with a sack.

My guess is its Reich, he is very old school. Just a disaster of a hire.

I said it in another thread, but after the questionable completion/fumble to Marshall the subsequent hurry up play was about the best he looked all day.

He seems to do better in an up tempo offense that doesn't let the defense substitute and keeps them on their heels.  I have no idea what the fug Frank Reich is looking at with the plays he's calling.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's 3/12 throwing 15+ and that's not including the two INTs that came just shy of 15 yards.

People are knocking the short game, but I *gasp* watched it again and only 2-3 of them were negative or no gains--one of which TMJ got tripped up by the turf.  This is a WCO and short passes take place of the run and the way our rushing attack sucks right now, passes of 3,4 or 5 yards is at least getting something. 

Do I want longer passes?  SURE, but if it isn't in the middle of the field, it ain't happening right now beyond 15 yards for Bryce.  Nearly all his longer passes are in breaking routes.  I think it is just a preference, but that tendency will get snuffed out quickly in the NFL.  I think it already has.

Edited by 45catfan

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

People are knocking the short game, but I *gasp* watched it again and only 2-3 were negative or no gains--one of which TMJ got tripped up by the turf.  This a WCO and short passes take place of the run and the way our rushing attack sucks right now, passes of 3,4 or 5 yards is at least getting something. 

Do I want longer passes?  SURE, but if it isn't in the middle of the field, it ain't happening right now beyond 15 yards for Bryce.  Nearly all his longer passes an in breaking routes.  I think it is just a preference, but that tendency will get snuffed out quickly in the NFL.  I think it already has.

The ball just takes way too long to get to the boundary with Bryce's velocity. Asking him to throw mid-deep out routes is just asking for pick sixes.

• Pie 3

7 hours ago, Mike in Raleigh said:

So you're saying Reich is a good coach? It's everyone else that sucks?

Bryce is 3/12 throwing the ball deep. You have to adapt to that. I don’t think Frank has done a great job calling plays but the only thing moving the ball at all are short route for Bryce right now. Or we can just keep throwing deep and basically going 3 and out and keep our defense on the field a ton. 

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

So every play beyond 20 yards was put into the playbook just for the Seattle game?  Cool, let me know how this weeks meetings go at the stadium since you are there.

You’re talking like 3 plays on 20+ more attempts. It’s really not some huge difference y’all are making it out to be. It’s really just one blown coverage. 

• Pie 1