• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr. Wants You All To Relax

TheCasillas

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I definitely think Bryce is in his own head right now. We always knew that his success was ultimately going to come down to outsmarting the defense, not making chicken salad out of chicken poo with physical talent. Pre-snap reads, audibles, etc. But he's still an NFL Rookie and he might just be trying to do too much mentally right now. It's up to the staff to help him reel that in.

Even if he figures it out, he’s not an elite talent and this franchise won’t sniff a Super Bowl with him.  You don’t sell the farm for the guy.  I can see Reich not wanting this kid and I agree with him. It was a huge mistake even if he turns out to be above average. 

Edited by ickmule

Just now, ickmule said:

Even if he figures it out, he’s not a ln elite talent and this franchise won’t sniff a Super Bowl with him.  You don’t sell the farm for the guy.  I can see Reich not wanting this kid and I agree with him. It was a huge mistake even if he turns out to be above average. 

We'll see. I said leading up to the draft that for Bryce to be elite he's going to have to be the smartest guy in the stadium every Sunday. That's a tall ask.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. I said leading up to the draft that for Bryce to be elite he's going to have to be the smartest guy in the stadium every Sunday. That's a tall ask.

Yes it is a tall task. The NFL is full of very smart coordinators that will figure out how to stop a QB with limited NFL level physical skills. . 

3 minutes ago, ickmule said:

Yes it is a tall task. The NFL is full of very smart coordinators that will figure out how to stop a QB with limited NFL level physical skills. . 

When you can't threaten the defense vertically and force them to defend every blade of grass offense is difficult. That's why it gets so much tougher in the redzone. And when you're not throwing past 20 yards you're turning the entire field into redzone offense. The field is crowded. We gotta chuck a few deep just to make the opposing D account for the fact that we will.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I have counted 3 checks at the line that Bryce came away with his head down. The body language tells me that he knew he checked out wrong. The vikings brought a lot of exotic blitz schemes. There was one play they had 8 players in standing positions at the line... not a single down lineman....

And honestly I’m fine with those things as a rookie. He has to see it. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you can't threaten the defense vertically and force them to defend every blade of grass offense is difficult. That's why it gets so much tougher in the redzone. And when you're not throwing past 20 yards you're turning the entire field into redzone offense. The field is crowded. We gotta chuck a few deep just to make the opposing D account for the fact that we will.

Definitely feels like we are having the same issues we had with Rhule. Moved the ball easily between the 20s and as soon as we crossed the red zone we couldn’t do squat. 
I have said before, I don’t think Reich is the right coach for Young and I don’t think Young is the right QB for Reich. 
If Tepper did twist Reich’s arm to agree with drafting Bryce I wish Reich would have grown some balls and stood firm and said no. 
No way he is hurting for money, he could have threatened to step down. 
It is known Reich is too nice but it makes me feel like he is a pushover too. 

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I definitely think Bryce is in his own head right now. We always knew that his success was ultimately going to come down to outsmarting the defense, not making chicken salad out of chicken poo with physical talent. Pre-snap reads, audibles, etc. But he's still an NFL Rookie and he might just be trying to do too much mentally right now. It's up to the staff to help him reel that in.

I have never seen a rookie audible as much as he has. 

45 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

And honestly I’m fine with those things as a rookie. He has to see it. 

Exactly.

The fact that he immediately recognized it afterwards is a good thing. The team needs a QB that's going to grow and improve from their experiences. Demanding that he not get mixed up by a veteran defensive coordinator (with head coaching experience, no less) is about as stupid as it gets.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 10/5/2023 at 8:27 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

First reasonable post you’ve made about Bryce. This is fair criticism. Bravo. 

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

First reasonable post you’ve made about Bryce. This is fair criticism. Bravo. 

I don't view the constant goal post moving buckets of excuses as reasonable. It's just plain cope at this point. We need to see more from Bryce. All we have right now is hope and we have to ignore what we're watching to cling to it.

• Flames 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't view the constant goal post moving buckets of excuses as reasonable. It's just plain cope at this point. We need to see more from Bryce. All we have right now is hope and we have to ignore what we're watching to cling to it.

It’s not that black and white. Does Bryce need to be better? Absolutely. But just like he needs to make the easy plays so does everyone else. Chuba makes a block we probably get a TD. Bryce makes the throw to AT it’s probably a TD. If guys make catches that hit them in the face it’s a TD. There is so much bad around him and seems like you want him to be perfect. 

7 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

It’s not that black and white. Does Bryce need to be better? Absolutely. But just like he needs to make the easy plays so does everyone else. Chuba makes a block we probably get a TD. Bryce makes the throw to AT it’s probably a TD. If guys make catches that hit them in the face it’s a TD. There is so much bad around him and seems like you want him to be perfect. 

I don't want him to be perfect. I'd settle for him not being a big part of the problem at this point. Everything sure looked better in Seattle. I can't recall what was different.

• Flames 1