• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mr “I won’t stand up for Mediocrity” observes practice today

ncfan

2 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If Tepper fires Frank in the coming weeks it will give me some hope. At least he recognizes he made the wrong hire.

Even if Tepper was 100% sure it was the wrong hire, under no circumstances can he fire him during the season.

This franchise is a mess right now, if you hire someone as respected around the league as Reich is, let him assemble the all star staff that he did, and then fire him in the middle of his first season, NOBODY is going to want that job next year.

There is no chance we'd be able to hire an up and coming coach, most coaches get one shot at being a HC and if they fail, they never get another, they're not going to risk that one chance on this situation.  We'd be stuck choosing from a bunch of re-tread options yet again and be underwhelmed by whoever the choice is.

I don't think you can even fire him after the first season either as it's the same situation, the odds of a young up and coming coach wanting to risk his potentially one shot at a HC job on Bryce, seem very low.  I also still think Tepper knows the analytics say that GM's and HC's that aren't hired in tandem, tend to fail and he hasn't hired them in tandem yet and that will be his next move.

My best guess is that after the season (or maybe during it) Fitterer gets fired and Morgan is promoted to GM.  Then Morgan and Reich get this offseason and next season to try and fix things, if they can't, they're both gone.  

But even then, if we're bad enough to get them both fired with Bryce still only 2 years into his career, it might be tough to get a good enough HC candidate to take the job and bet on Bryce.  If that happens, I feel like we'll go with the Lovie Smith route, hire some re-tread as a sacrificial lamb (while keeping Morgan as the GM), let them fail for a season to get us a top draft pick in 2026 and hope we can attract a young offensive minded coach with that pick being theirs to choose a new QB with.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Only one team has made the playoffs starting 0-4. 
Towel is already thrown. 

I'm sure someone brought that up to an angry Tepper.

Until they trade Burns or start talking about rebuilding, these idiots still think they are a player away from turning it around. 'It's the NFC South. How hard could that really be?' LOL

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

At the end of the day, there are only 32 HC jobs at the highest level of football, and 1 of those is with the Panthers. 

People will always be interested in that. 

Yup. Unfortunately most of that interest will be more coaches like Frank and not people like Ben Johnson. 

Edited by Waldo

6 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Even if Tepper was 100% sure it was the wrong hire, under no circumstances can he fire him during the season.

This franchise is a mess right now, if you hire someone as respected around the league as Reich is, let him assemble the all star staff that he did, and then fire him in the middle of his first season, NOBODY is going to want that job next year.

There is no chance we'd be able to hire an up and coming coach, most coaches get one shot at being a HC and if they fail, they never get another, they're not going to risk that one chance on this situation.  We'd be stuck choosing from a bunch of re-tread options yet again and be underwhelmed by whoever the choice is.

I don't think you can even fire him after the first season either as it's the same situation, the odds of a young up and coming coach wanting to risk his potentially one shot at a HC job on Bryce, seem very low.  I also still think Tepper knows the analytics say that GM's and HC's that aren't hired in tandem, tend to fail and he hasn't hired them in tandem yet and that will be his next move.

My best guess is that after the season (or maybe during it) Fitterer gets fired and Morgan is promoted to GM.  Then Morgan and Reich get this offseason and next season to try and fix things, if they can't, they're both gone.  

But even then, if we're bad enough to get them both fired with Bryce still only 2 years into his career, it might be tough to get a good enough HC candidate to take the job and bet on Bryce.  If that happens, I feel like we'll go with the Lovie Smith route, hire some re-tread as a sacrificial lamb (while keeping Morgan as the GM), let them fail for a season to get us a top draft pick in 2026 and hope we can attract a young offensive minded coach with that pick being theirs to choose a new QB with.

Can’t think of a faster way to lose respect around the league that to trade major assets for the #1 overall draft pick, select a 5’9 175lb QB, then lose all your games.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

There are only 32 head coaching positions in the NFL and like 5 vacant opportunities a year. New coaches are being groomed every single year and money talks.

Tepper can fire Reich out of a cannon into the oblivion right now and still land whoever he wants next cycle.

It is a results business. If your results suck, you get fired. And right now, sucks would be an upgrade from where we sit.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

There are only 32 head coaching positions in the NFL and like 5 vacant opportunities a year. New coaches are being groomed every single year and money talks.

Tepper can fire Reich out of a cannon into the oblivion right now and still land whoever he wants next cycle.

It is a results business. If your results suck, you get fired. And right now, sucks would be an upgrade from where we sit.

This is absolute nonsense

Ryans refused to even interview with us, Johnson removed his name from consideration after interviewing, and we couldn't get Steichen either.

The young, up and coming HC candidates wanted nothing to do with us last offseason, having a possible bust at QB, no first round pick, and firing a coach in the middle of his first season isn't going to create more interest in our job.

Yes, of course there will be people who want the job because there are only 32 of them, but they're not going to be the people that we want to hire for the job.  They're going to be past HC's who have been bad in the past and lost their jobs because of it, we're not going to get a young innovative mind who will take that job, they'll put a Ben Johnson and stay for another season to wait for a better opportunity.

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, thennek said:

Having Tepper involved is the reason why the Panthers have been bad since he bought the team. If he was smart, he would stay away and let the football people figure it out but we all know this is not going to happen…and the Panthers will continue to lose. 
No coach or GM will be successful until Tepper stops meddling 

Every owner meddles....if you buy a new Vette, u just gonna let the mechanic drive it? Bonehead doesn't know what he doesn't know...

36 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I agree he has to role with him this year. He can get rid of him after the season and promote Evero 

3 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

This is absolute nonsense

Ryans refused to even interview with us, Johnson removed his name from consideration after interviewing, and we couldn't get Steichen either.

The young, up and coming HC candidates wanted nothing to do with us last offseason, having a possible bust at QB, no first round pick, and firing a coach in the middle of his first season isn't going to create more interest in our job.

Yes, of course there will be people who want the job because there are only 32 of them, but they're not going to be the people that we want to hire for the job.  They're going to be past HC's who have been bad in the past and lost their jobs because of it, we're not going to get a young innovative mind who will take that job, they'll put a Ben Johnson and stay for another season to wait for a better opportunity.

We didn’t get Steichen because we moved on due to a “bad Zoom interview”, whatever that means.

Your other points are valid, but at the end of the day it’s a results based business. Every coach knows that.

Edited by therealmjl

1 minute ago, therealmjl said:

We didn’t get Steichen because we moved on due to a “bad Zoom interview”, whatever that means.

Your other points are valid, but at the end of the day it’s a results based business. Every coach knows that.

Exactly, it's a results based business and the current state of our franchise isn't set up to have good results.

Coaches know they generally only get one shot at succeeding as a HC and if they fail, it's much harder to get another chance.

Tepper has gone with the hot college name and the experienced vet so far in his two HC hires.  The next one he makes, he is clearly going to want to find the next McVay or McDaniels, a young innovative mind.

Those guys aren't going to risk their shot on Bryce and the current state of this team, especially if we're bad enough the rest of the season to cost Reich his job.