• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Bryce really require any more that other QBs for success?

BrisbanePanther

12 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Reading these threads about Bryce has been...an experience, but I see two main competing themes here emerging about Bryce:

Theme A. He needs a really good (or at least better) supporting cast and situation around him to have the best chance of success.

Theme B. He shouldn't need a cast but should elevate his existing one.

My question is: Who are the QBs that have not needed Theme A to win a Super Bowl? Win in the playoffs? Become a Pro Bowler? Consistently have winning seasons?

Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Stafford (taken #1), Allen, Burrow (#1), Peyton (#1), Eli (#1), Luck (#1), Brees, Ben, Rivers, Wilson, Montana, Steve Young, Favre, Aikman (#1), Warner, etc etc etc all needed a great supporting cast to win, and all had great--if not HOF--coaching.

Even QBs like Watson had Nuk, Tannehill had AJ, Romo had TO AND Witten, Matt Ryan (#1) had Roddy White AND Julio Jones, Jeff-frickin-Garcia (who I saw have to jump to pass) had TO AND JJ Stokes, Culpepper had Moss AND Carter, and even Carson Palmer (#1) didn't look his best until he had Fitz in Arizona. None of them did anything with just JAGs--each of them all had/have at least one position player that defenses had to respect. Cam (#1) and McNabb might be the closest, but even McNabb didn't make a Super Bowl until he had TO.

My point is that if Bryce falls in Theme A (which he clearly seems to) what makes him less or worse than the others--particularly at this stage in his career? 

Happy to be proven wrong but I can't think of too many QBs of different sizes and abilities who did it all by themselves or "elevated" a team on a long-term basis that wasn't already on the lofty side to begin with.

He needs a competent oline execution just like any QB does. The oline has been in Flux since before the season begun. It's gotten hurt from the first game.  And it continues to suffer. 

Sucks for any QB, let alone  rookie. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

how do you account for stroud having a historic season?

Stroud having a HISTORIC season kind of implies that it’s an exception does it not? Also as great as he has played they are 2-3. They still need to build a full roster around him. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud having a HISTORIC season kind of implies that it’s an exception does it not? Also as great as he has played they are 2-3. They still need to build a full roster around him. 

Exactly! The word makes the point makes itself. He's having a historic start to the season. If he finishes the year with 5400 yards 35 tds and 2 picks and they win their division after more coaces get film on him, then he's an all-time rookie for sure. We'll see how he does against New Orleans...because so far, Atlanta beat both Bryce and CJ, and they're not that good.

But Stroud is not on this team. And I would hazard the guess that Philip Rivers always had better numbers than Eli, and Eli had some seasons where he looked downright pedestrian--if not awful. Not saying this would happen, but if Stroud turns out to be Rivers and Bryce turns out to be Eli, are we complaining at the end of their careers?

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Exactly! The word makes the point makes itself. He's having a historic start to the season. If he finishes the year with 5400 yards 35 tds and 2 picks and they win their division after more coaces get film on him, then he's an all-time rookie for sure. We'll see how he does against New Orleans...because so far, Atlanta beat both Bryce and CJ, and they're not that good.

But Stroud is not on this team. And I would hazard the guess that Philip Rivers always had better numbers than Eli, and Eli had some seasons where he looked downright pedestrian--if not awful. Not saying this would happen, but if Stroud turns out to be Rivers and Bryce turns out to be Eli, are we complaining at the end of their careers?

No, we're not complaining if Young turns into a first ballot HOF QB.

The problem is, right now, he looks like a one(season)-and-done QB who's only starting because he was taken #1 overall.

10 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

That QLD air is doing you wonders haha.  

• Pie 1

Bryce doesn’t have bust traits…at all.  He isn’t a guy that doesn’t study or care.  He isn’t injury prone.  He isn’t lacking mentally and he can make all the throws.  He just needs to get accustomed to pro football speed.  Some help from the rest of this team on offense and the coaching would get him there faster but he will get there

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1