• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

East-West Shrine Bowl 2010

chbright

wieght in (aka the meat market) was monday. practices started monday without pads, and with pads tuesday. game is saturday on espn 2.

prospects with good weeks so far by position:

WR:

Alric Arnett, can stretch the field, showing good hands, runs good routes, sleeper prospect.

Freddie Barns, looks like a slot guy, but best hands. will time in better than expected.

Verran Tucker, best WR on the west squad

QB:

skelton, skelton, skelton. guy needs a year or 2 of nfl S&C, but has a cannon and showed good touch monday, little too much heat tuesday. arm strength not a question with him, footwork was better than expected, still not perfect, but used his lower body to drive the ball.

Matt Nichols, throws with great zip when nessicary, but showed great touch on the long ball. agressive gunslinger mentality. another small schooler that likely gets picked up and sticks.

OL:

Roger Saffold: this is the guy having the best of it so far. handling all comers at LG and LT. this includes greg hardy (who is showing he is a physical freak just inconsistant). great feet, and was getting a great push downfield monday. think he would be a great answer to backing up the left side.

Kyle Calloway RG/RT: handled willy young, showing quick feet and mirroring the defender well. supposedly a ZBS guy. not the best OT from iowa in the draft. moved inside during the bowl game, assumed it was to avoid morgan.

CBs:

Brian Jackson. big physical corner, measured in at 6' 2". good in run support. did not display recovery speed if they were beat of the line

Alterraun Verner: another Cal guy having a good week. no memory, if he makes a bad play he forgets and right back in the game. gave up a completion 1 play, comes back and jumps a route to a pick the next. had a good senior year too. like jackson doesnt have the recovery speed to make up for mistakes. from what i saw of him during the year, my fav cb of the mid rounds.

most of this is via cbssports, nlf draft central and football futures boards. from profession writers to guys in the area giving feed back and reposting cbs.

http://draftace.com/blog/interviews/shrinegame.htm

Freddie Barnes, WR Bowling Green

Where are you training to develop your skills?

I've been working with Tony Valeri from XPE in South Florida for my training. I've been there for two weeks. I didn't get invited to the combine so I'm just getting ready for my pro day which is on April 18 th

What scouts have showed interest in you the last few days?

Scouts from the Falcons, Bears, Panthers, Bucs and Chiefs all have approached me.

150 catches in one season is a feat no one has ever accomplished. Who do you attribute to your success?

I thank God first and foremost because I've been injured for the majority of my first four years. Me and Tyler Sheehan have been together for three years now and we just have a great understanding of each other.

You're not a blazing fast wideout, nor are you the tallest, what's your biggest asset and what allows you to get so open so often?

I played quarterback all throughout high school and through my sophomore year at Bowling Green. That allowed me to develop a great knowledge for the game. I feel like I'm much better at going through reads because of it.

What has your experience been like here at this All-Star Game?

It's been nice here in Orlando because for years it was always about the team and making the group better. Now scouts are getting to know me and hopefully I can show what I can do on the field.

please let us draft this kid!

I'm not sure what kind of speed Barnes has so to me that would be the deciding factor. Obviously he has great hands but so did Dwayne Jarrett and we all know how that turned out.

Tate is still #1 on my wishlist but if Barnes runs well then I wouldn't be mad making him a 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure what kind of speed Barnes has so to me that would be the deciding factor. Obviously he has great hands but so did Dwayne Jarrett and we all know how that turned out.

Tate is still #1 on my wishlist but if Barnes runs well then I wouldn't be mad making him a 3rd round pick.

at 6'0, 212 lbs, he runs about a 4.56 40 yard dash. not the worst, but definately not the best either. A good thing about him is he also can play QB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114091

another mid late round WR to look at is Emmanuel Sanders. last 2 days he has stolen the show of the west WRs. little undersized, more quick than fast and has good hands. seams to be Keenan McCardell pet. not a bad guy for the wrs to learn from, wonder if he wants to take up the WR coach spot.

McCardell did help the giants in camp as part of a coach training camp. looks like he wants to be a coach and with 16 years experiance he could help out a bit.

another mid late round WR to look at is Emmanuel Sanders. last 2 days he has stolen the show of the west WRs. little undersized, more quick than fast and has good hands. seams to be Keenan McCardell pet. not a bad guy for the wrs to learn from, wonder if he wants to take up the WR coach spot.

McCardell did help the giants in camp as part of a coach training camp. looks like he wants to be a coach and with 16 years experiance he could help out a bit.

They haven’t approached me yet, but I would love to [be the receivers coach],” said McCardell, who visited a Bucs practice this year during the season at team headquarters. “I would love to come over there and help Raheem. He’s energetic and I’m the same way. You can see that by watching me in practice. I would love to help the team and get that staff and help those receivers. You all need to put in a word for me!”

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6661

Let's give Dwayne Jarrett another year and see how he does with Matt Moore throwing to him. Hopefully,we will be pleasantly suprised.

we need more than 1 wr reguardless of how jarrett pans out. in this game, your going to see primarily slot and a few #2s. barns, sanders, and arlett are the guys that look like solid pickups later in the draft as slot/return guys.

the guys that are #1s arnt here. Seyi Ajirotutu, and Naaman Roosevelt sound like #2s, both are bigger targets that are not going to stretch the field, yet both arnt having a great week catching the ball. thats odd with roosevelt, as he was reliable for UB.

another UDFA late rounder may be Kerry Meier. now he is not nearly the reciever briscoe is, but as an ex-qb, he has impressed with his route running and sideline awareness. he catches the ball with his hands away from his body (not a body catcher like white) which is a plus. he is gona post a slow 40 time for sure, and isnt a kick returner. i hope he gets ST duty some this week, as he will have to do more to get drafted than be a 4th wr that isnt a ST gunner (atleast for us).

Mike Kafka QB Northwestern was MVP. Not sure about his intanglibles but being MVP says something. He ran a 11-play 55 yd drive to win the game. 18/27 150 1 0. Looks like most of his throws were short. 5.6 Yds per catch.

Notables

QB

John Skelton Fordham 6'5" 7/10 63 2009 Season 284-441 3713 64% 26 10 sack 29

Daryll Clark Penn St. 6' 2" 7/10 63 2009 Season 232-381 3003 61% 24 10 sack 15

Max Hall BYU 6'1" 7/12 119 1 1 2009 Season275-409 3560 67% 33 14 sack 22

Receiving

Blair White Michigan St. 6'2" 7-93 lg 23 13.3 avg2009 Season70-990 14.1avg 9 TDs

Alric Arnett West Va 6'2" 3-54 lg 29 18.0 avg2009 Season43-586 13.6 avg 3 TDs

Freddie Barnes Bowling Green 6'0" 4-40 lg 12 Lg 12 10.0 avg2009 Season155-1770 11.4 avg 19TDs

Seyi Ajirotutu Fresno St 6'4" 2-22 Lg 11 avg11.02009 Season49-677 13.8 avg 7 TD's

Blair White and Freddie Barnes are the ones I am interested in.

I would like to see us grab John Skelton in the 5th or 6th.

I didn't list RB as I don't think we will be searching for a RB unless he is BPA in late rounds.

Go Panthers

After rewatching the game I was actually very impressed with Skelton. You have to remember unlike Flacco, he was in Football Championship Subdivision for his entire college career.

Its going to take him longer to get up to the speed of some of these bigger school players then a week. Especially when he played in a non-pro stlye offense.

At first watch I would have giving him a C+ grading. But after the watching it again I had to increase his grade to a B+.

1st drive

Play 1: Fumbled exchange. I think this should be contributed to his bad footwork but the RB is also to blame.

Play 2: 5 yard toss to B White (Decent throw slightly low. BTW White is going to be one hell of a slot receiver he catches anything and everything)

Play 3: Bone headed pass to Arnett: incompletion.

Play 4: Punt

2nd Drive

Play 1: Smoke Screen to Roosevelt, gain of 9 yards. (Perfect Placing)

Play 2: Pass to Roosevelt gain of 6 yards (made it look effortless)

Play 3: J. James rush for 2 yards

Play 4: Thrown behind Barnes. (This would be resolved with more practice, the timing was off)

Play 5: False Start

Play 6: Brilliant pass up the seem to B. White for 22 yards. On 3rd and long to boot.

Play 7: Great play setting up the screen. Looking one way hitting the FB the other way. Gain of 13 yards (would have been more if they could have reviewed it he didn't go out of bounds at the 33).

Play 8: Delay of Game (got to watch the clock bud)

Play 9: Nice hot read. Under pressure checked it down to the TE for 3 yards.

Play 10: Screen never developed loss of 2.

Play 11: Very nice play on Skeltons part. Got tripped up so instead of taking the sack he threw the ball under handed just enought to get it back to the line of scrimmage. He was outside the pocket so even in a NFL game it wouldn't have been grounding. But it didn't matter Holding Call 10 yard penalty.

Play 12: Should have been a big one. He threw it perfectly IMO if he would have took more off of it it would have most likely been an INT. If Villanueva had one more step it would have been a huge 3rd and 19 down conversion and had the ball in the red zone.

Like I said for guy coming from a non-pro offense and lesser competition with only one week of practice he really impressed me. Not as much as I would have liked but he still had a good game. And also after the 1st drive Skelton showed really progress and as the game progressed seemed to get better and better. It ticks me off he didn't get the last quarter.

With his Physical Traits and his improvement this week I am now convinced he will be drafted in the 1st 3 or 4 rounds. If he gets an combine/Senior bowl invite it would help his stock out tremendously.

Other Guys that impressed:

Blair White WR: Watch out for this kid going to be an excellent slot receiver. Catches anything around him. That could help our young and inexperienced QB.

Freddie Barnes: Ditto. One of the best route runners out there. I think the hype machine is on, however, hes stock is soaring and I see him going long before White. I would rather get White later.

Thanks, I waited up to see this game but AFN decided to show college basketball on 3 of the 10 channels instead of this game. (BASTARDS)

Skelton sounds like one of those guys you select in the 5 or 6th round and bury him on the practice squad (providing he gets through waivers) and let him learn a bit about being an NFL QB.

Barnes and White I would love to see more from?

Go Panthers

Archived