• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thoughts on Justin Fields as a backup next season?

CamWhoaaCam

14 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

This is what you get with Fields. He’s a QB with the highest peaks, but the lowest valleys. He’s got two 300-yard 4 TD games sandwiched between two games of <100 passing yards and 1 combined TD. I don’t recall ever seeing a QB so wildly inconsistent…and it feels like if we’re talking about hoping for more consistency for a QB halfway into his third season, the odds don’t look great for him.

I imagine 32/32 NFL GMs would rather have a less talented but more consistent QB. You can’t win with a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at QB in the NFL, and Fields’ record shows that.

IMG_0067.jpeg

That’s where you have to coach up. Nobody in Chicago fandom has suggested Getsy is doing a good job calling plays. One week they are getting the ball out quick and Fields looks great and they are doing almost half of their passes via play action and then the next week play action drops below 15%. Their local guys have talked about it on podcasts a bunch the last few weeks. 

3 hours ago, PappyMay said:

no, why would we give up assets for a backup quarterback? We literally need so many holes field and already have a backup QB on our roster next season. Even if the Bears draft Williams/Maye  i'm sure someone could rent Fields for a year for a 2nd. We need a better use of our 2nd/3rd than that. 

Fields is not getting a 2nd LMAO.

I'm thinking a 6th Rd pick which we can afford.

45 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Fields is not getting a 2nd LMAO.

I'm thinking a 6th Rd pick which we can afford.

No way I’d give up Fields for a 6th if I’m the Bears. Back up QB for 6mil? Tribusky makes that. We got fleeced for a 2nd,4th and 6th for Darnold. I’m sure they can get more than a 6th. Wish you were our GM to make trades like that happen. 

1 minute ago, PappyMay said:

No way I’d give up Fields for a 6th if I’m the Bears. Back up QB for 6mil? Tribusky makes that. We got fleeced for a 2nd,4th and 6th for Darnold. I’m sure they can get more than a 6th. Wish you were our GM to make trades like that happen. 

I think they are done with Fields the moment they secure the #1 pick.

For someone to trade a 2nd round pick for Fields they have to have missed out on a QB in the draft. Even then I don't see a 2nd Rd pick on the table for Fields.

16 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I think they are done with Fields the moment they secure the #1 pick.

For someone to trade a 2nd round pick for Fields they have to have missed out on a QB in the draft. Even then I don't see a 2nd Rd pick on the table for Fields.

What did Trey Lance go for? Fields should go for that or more, IMO. 

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

I mean, that's reasonable, but he looked like a helluva lot better passer in that game than he has in the NFL. I think that it may ultimately be due to his lack of processing on the pro level. 

To be honest, I haven't watched him enough to conclude lack of processing. I just thought his style screamed he wouldn't stay healthy. I felt the same way about Richardson. I don't feel that was about Young because what he does best is processing and he knows to not challenge anyone physically.

6 hours ago, Hogan said:

To be honest, I haven't watched him enough to conclude lack of processing. I just thought his style screamed he wouldn't stay healthy. I felt the same way about Richardson. I don't feel that was about Young because what he does best is processing and he knows to not challenge anyone physically.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/2023-nfl-week-1-time-is-running-out-for-bears-justin-fields/

Seriously, some of it is perhaps the play calling--not playing to your QB's strength, but most of seems like Fields just is slow to process or (at best) scared to let it rip. 

Fields has his issues. That's why I scoff when people just assume he's going to be a better QB than Young. He certainly hasn't proved it, and unlike Young---who has only played around a third of a season---Fields is in his third season. Moreover, the belief that Fields was a slow processor was one of the very thingd that caused him to slide in the draft.

When people are complaining pre-draft, and then you come in the NFL and start proving them right, more and more questions will arise about your ability to be a franchise QB, and this is why I just wouldn't trade any more than a day three pick to get him. Well, this and his injury history.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/2023-nfl-week-1-time-is-running-out-for-bears-justin-fields/

Seriously, some of it is perhaps the play calling--not playing to your QB's strength, but most of seems like Fields just is slow to process or (at best) scared to let it rip. 

Fields has his issues. That's why I scoff when people just assume he's going to be a better QB than Young. He certainly hasn't proved it, and unlike Young---who has only played around a third of a season---Fields is in his third season. Moreover, the belief that Fields was a slow processor was one of the very thingd that caused him to slide in the draft.

When people are complaining pre-draft, and then you come in the NFL and start proving them right, more and more questions will arise about your ability to be a franchise QB, and this is why I just wouldn't trade any more than a day three pick to get him. Well, this and his injury history.

We aren’t going to be in the running for him anyways. We need to build other positions as we are stuck with Bryce for 4 years no matter if folks like it or not. Trading mid round picks for a QB would be silly. And Fields is going to be moved for what Trey Lance was moved for or more. 

53 minutes ago, Varking said:

We aren’t going to be in the running for him anyways. We need to build other positions as we are stuck with Bryce for 4 years no matter if folks like it or not. Trading mid round picks for a QB would be silly. And Fields is going to be moved for what Trey Lance was moved for or more. 

I don't believe we're trading for him either, but my thing is how people are just proclaiming that he's going to better than Bryce. It is possible that he could end up being better than Bryce, but based upon everything that we know about Fields, I simply don't see how expecting him to just immediately (if ever) be hands down better than Bryce makes a lot of sense right now. The evidence doesn't justify that belief.

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I don't believe we're trading for him either, but my thing is how people are just proclaiming that he's going to better than Bryce. It is possible that he could end up being better than Bryce, but based upon everything that we know about Fields, I simply don't see how expecting him to just immediately (if ever) be hands down better than Bryce makes a lot of sense right now. The evidence doesn't justify that belief.

Well he’s already shown he’s a top 2 running QB in the NFL when they design runs for him. Bryce will never be anything close to that. Heck, Fields may have more rushing yards last season than Bryce gets his whole career. 

So that part of the game is clear that Fields is better. 

As far as throwing the football Fields has a much stronger arm so he can be used in more ways than Bryce can. Fields is also absolutely a better deep ball thrower. 

Right now Bryce is the type of dude that has to live and dominate in short and intermediate game. 

I think Bryce is still too fresh to declare him better or worse than a year 3 Fields, Bryce could end up way better over time. I’m not ruling that out. 

But if you just want to look at what it takes to win football games for these two teams, Fields has higher highs which will sneak you wins here and there. He also has lower lows. Here in Carolina we need a bit higher highs right now for a QB to carry out team to a win. 

The situations aren’t equal either. Last year there was a five week stretch where Chicago topped the NFL in scoring and lost every game, all by one score because of how bad the defense is. If we had a stretch of five games here leading the NFL in scoring almost everyone would be off Bryce’s back. 

It feels like Bryce has a much higher floor than Fields but the ceiling might not be anywhere near as high. I wouldn’t declare one way best, it comes down to preference and coaching. 

• Pie 1