• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for the Burns pocket watchers...

CamWhoaaCam

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

It’s pretty simple if you understand anything about business and value. 

The one team that elevated his “value”(but only to the Panthers) by turning down that trade offer won’t pay him what he wants. The one team that has backed themselves into a corner still won’t pay him. Because he wants 30M/year and about 80M guaranteed. And even the desperate Panthers know he’s not that guy. If he was seeking around 25/55, he would be signed. And other teams aren’t looking to spend draft picks for the privilege of overpaying a player that the Panthers won’t. 

Why aren’t they paying him? They look worse every day. Yet they still don’t. Why is that. 

It takes 2 sides to get a deal done. Burns and Fitt are both to blame. They have to commit halfway. That's how you come to an agreement.

Im just baffled why fans are fine with us trading all of our homegrown players for picks and we have nothing to show for it. We are borderline becoming a no name team. Burns/Young is the only people the people know on our team. At some point you have to keep your best players. We look pretty stupid trading away all of our stars. Nobody wants to come to a game when you have no stars on the team.

I just don't get it man. People obsessed with a 1st round pick not realizing Fitt is terrible in the draft. I rather just overpay Burns then take that gamble on Fitt making the right draft pick.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It's been discussed to death and it's still being discussed. Might as well get to the point because after Tuesday Burns is a panther. We will still be discussing his contract for the rest of the season?

We need some closure around here because im sick of the Burns pocket watchers. Just discuss football. Yall clog up up game threads with that nonsense.

The fact that Burns is tied to the Rams trade that included picks in 2025 means that his unique situation is relevant until at least that point, so get used to continued discussion. It's just the reality.

As far as game threads go, with great salary comes great scrutiny, and in-game performance for the top players is always a point of discussion. Someone vying for top dollar that should be showing it on the field is going to get the same scrutiny. As above, it's also just the reality.

And debtaing a player's value is not 'pocket watching', a term that you seem to be derogatorily using. I couldn't care less what Burns himself gets paid and have no issue with players trying to get as much as they can, but it does impact a given team. Discussing a player's value relative to that team's situation and potentially what that value might be is valid and not 'pocket watching'.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not opposed to him getting paid. I'm opposed to him getting paid what he wants. He wants nearly $30M per year. He ain't worth it. He's not the cornerstone of a dominant D and that's what nearly $30M per should get you.

yesterday his play was lol funny injury or not, Burns must have sucked ass in geometry 

20 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

It takes 2 sides to get a deal done. Burns and Fitt are both to blame. They have to commit halfway. That's how you come to an agreement.

Im just baffled why fans are fine with us trading all of our homegrown players for picks and we have nothing to show for it. We are borderline becoming a no name team. Burns/Young is the only people the people know on our team. At some point you have to keep your best players. We look pretty stupid trading away all of our stars. Nobody wants to come to a game when you have no stars on the team.

I just don't get it man. People obsessed with a 1st round pick not realizing Fitt is terrible in the draft. I rather just overpay Burns then take that gamble on Fitt making the right draft pick.

Who cares if players are known or not or if players are homegrown or not? If a team starts winning, their players get known... funny how that works. And not wanting to take a smart risk for a team (be it Burns trade or just in general) due to fear of a bad outcome is a loser's mentality. Tolerating the status quo and overpaying for homegrown talent is a big part of why Carolina has been irrelevant for much of its existence, an irrelevance that you seem to be indicating is a valid thing to avoid. 7 winning seasons in almost 30 years - why continue executing the same failed strategy over and over?

Edited by KSpan

C'mon guy, it's been explained so many times, there is only a small portion of the fan base who doesn't want to pay him.

It's just become clear that he wants much more than the team is willing to pay him or else they'd have been able to get a deal done before the season started.  At this point it's not about "not paying him" as much as it is moving getting much needed assets while avoiding a messy situation.

If we have to franchise tag him in the offseason, I don't think he'll ever play another down for us again, as I don't see him playing on the tag and if we still can't get a deal done by that point, we just won't be.

That means if we tag him, we then have to keep about at least $20 Million of the cap open instead of being able to use it to sign other top free agents once FA begins.  All for a player that we'll end up having to trade in the end anyways.

Much better to trade him now, get those picks, and then be able to use that cap space on day 1 of free agency.

Again man, as I've said to you before, you only look at the surface of things, do we want this player or that player, not at the functional dynamics about how the real life NFL operates.  If you want your opinions to be taken seriously, you need to start factoring in things such as that, as it's critically important in a scenario such as this.

Particularly because if we have to tag Burns and he somehow does sign it and play, that will almost assuredly carry a larger cap hit for 2024 than if we were to sign him to a long term deal with how cap hits get worked out in contract details.  So if we tag him, then we actually need to allocate more cap room for him in 2024 than we would if we just had him under long term contract.

Sure, if we then got a deal done for him, it would lower his cap hit for the season, but that wouldn't do us any good on day 1 of free agency, as we'd lose out on guys we could have signed with the cap space.

9 minutes ago, KSpan said:

The fact that Burns is tied to the Rams trade that included picks in 2025 means that his unique situation is relevant until at least that point, so get used to continued discussion. It's just the reality.

As far as game threads go, with great salary comes great scrutiny, and in-game performance for the top players is always a point of discussion. Someone vying for top dollar that should be showing it on the field is going to get the same scrutiny. As above, it's also just the reality.

And debtaing a player's value is not 'pocket watching', a term that you seem to be derogatorily using. I couldn't care less what Burns himself gets paid and have no issue with players trying to get as much as they can, but it does impact a given team. Discussing a player's value relative to that team's situation and potentially what that value might be is valid and not 'pocket watching'.

How is overpaying Burns hurting this team?

We don't have any players worth paying big money to. It's like people don't even realize Burns might just be our best player. 

If we do trade Burns, who exactly on this roster do you even come to watch at games?

We already borderline unrecognizable Nationally. I seen a few in the Nat'l media mention Burns and Young but other than that most seem to not care about our other players. That is a big deal and it shows why this team is the worst team in football. We traded away all pro kind of talents in CMC and Moore. Can we at least keep Burns?

• Flames 1

For someone who has been screaming about opening up the piggy bank to sign Higgins in the offseaosn (assuming he doesn't get tagged and traded, which is most likely anyways)...

You sure seem to not grasp that tagging Burns instead of having that cap space available will likely take us out of the Higgins running from the jump.

• Pie 4

29 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

You don’t get it. It’s about winning games. Not falling in love with certain players enough to overpay them. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Who cares if players are known or not or if players are homegrown or not? If a team starts winning, their players get known... funny how that works. And not wanting to take a smart risk for a team (be it Burns trade or just in general) due to fear of a bad outcome is a loser's mentality. Tolerating the status quo and overpaying for homegrown talent is a big part of why Carolina has been irrelevant for much of its existence, an irrelevance that you seem to be indicating is a valid thing to avoid. 7 winning seasons in almost 30 years - why continue executing the same failed strategy over and over?

I care!

Do you realize that's why we suck?

Do you realize Burns is the best player on the team?

Do you realize good players are what makes a good team?

My goodness man do you understand you need star players to be a successful team. Who the hell wants a team full of nobodies. People in the Nat'l media can't even name players on your team because you suck so bad.

Why even watch football? Hell im already missed the last 2 games and only watched the 1st half this past Sunday. I just can't watch pathetic football. It's a waste of time.

4 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

How is overpaying Burns hurting this team?

We don't have any players worth paying big money to. It's like people don't even realize Burns might just be our best player. 

If we do trade Burns, who exactly on this roster do you even come to watch at games?

We already borderline unrecognizable Nationally. I seen a few in the Nat'l media mention Burns and Young but other than that most seem to not care about our other players. That is a big deal and it shows why this team is the worst team in football. We traded away all pro kind of talents in CMC and Moore. Can we at least keep Burns?

I don't pay to watch a player. I pay to watch a team win. If overpaying Burns hurts the team overall, that's not something I want the team to do. I want the best team possible. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You don’t get it. It’s about winning games. Not falling in love with certain players enough to overpay them. 

You don't get it Burns is our best player!

You need good players to win games!

How is trading Burns helping the team?

We got picks for CMC and Moore. We got the worst record in football. Make it make sense!