• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

It's a problem that may not have a solution.

The staff seem absolutely terrified of putting BY under center for snaps.  That's one of those things that really needs to be looked at.  Having him in the gun or pistol for every play makes us entirely too predictable.  It's clear we aren't going to run him, so the read option that made Cam such a terror isn't going to happen.  He needs to take snaps under center so we can open up some power running game that we currently don't have.

Then you get to our pass game.  It's a mess.  Our personnel on the perimeter are not good, but our staff isn't helping.  How many times have we run something like a mesh concept to create stress on a defense?  I didn't see us run a single one last night.  We keep putting all our perimeter players on an island, telling them to win and then we act surprised when they don't.

What about our personnel groupings?  We employ some ludicrous number of TE's . . . but how many 2 TE sets have we run?  Not enough.  2 TE sets are great for a power running scheme, and we have the roster for it, but we don't utilize it?  I don't understand.

All last night I kept thinking to myself:  How much better would our offense look if CMC were in the backfield and DJ Moore on the perimeter?  Yes, we would have moved Burns to Chicago . . . so what?  Maybe we don't have Mingo.  Again, so what?

Our front office created an impossible situation.  We have a guy who MIGHT be a good QB (or might not) - but we don't have the scheme or weapons to find out nor do we have the draft capital to fix it.

• Pie 8

Just now, Jmac said:

Sign a FA back that is a bruiser  and go back to the running scheme they had last season. I Agree with Mr. Scott. These guys are confused and running in circles. Keep it simple. 

Wilks was successful with this system. Do what works.

Normally can't get much from street free agents this time of year, but power / bruiser type back is one position where you actually might be able to find a decent option on the scrap heap because they're out of vogue in the current league.

• Beer 2

Yeah, would love to see them attack instead of getting bulldozed over. Starting to get onboard with the Icky to guard train. See how he does there next year. I feel like BC's tenure at left tackle has been better than Icky's performance this year.

Got to get a speedster this offseason to threaten the deep play. Hoped that would be Chark but i was let down. (Worthy from Texas?)

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's an offseason thing. I'm talking strictly about something to try this season.

The rest is a down the road thing, and hopefully only done with the help of a consultant.

Why wait to the offseason and let the staff that is ruining our young QB continue to "develop" him.  It's pretty clear they aren't cut for the job.  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Why wait to the offseason and let the staff that is ruining our young QB continue to "develop" him.  It's pretty clear they aren't cut for the job.  

I'm not sure it's that simple.

And to be honest, I'm really starting to question whether Thomas Brown was actually ready for an OC job.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The staff seem absolutely terrified of putting BY under center for snaps.  That's one of those things that really needs to be looked at.  Having him in the gun or pistol for every play makes us entirely too predictable.  It's clear we aren't going to run him, so the read option that made Cam such a terror isn't going to happen.  He needs to take snaps under center so we can open up some power running game that we currently don't have.

Then you get to our pass game.  It's a mess.  Our personnel on the perimeter are not good, but our staff isn't helping.  How many times have we run something like a mesh concept to create stress on a defense?  I didn't see us run a single one last night.  We keep putting all our perimeter players on an island, telling them to win and then we act surprised when they don't.

What about our personnel groupings?  We employ some ludicrous number of TE's . . . but how many 2 TE sets have we run?  Not enough.  2 TE sets are great for a power running scheme, and we have the roster for it, but we don't utilize it?  I don't understand.

All last night I kept thinking to myself:  How much better would our offense look if CMC were in the backfield and DJ Moore on the perimeter?  Yes, we would have moved Burns to Chicago . . . so what?  Maybe we don't have Mingo.  Again, so what?

Our front office created an impossible situation.  We have a guy who MIGHT be a good QB (or might not) - but we don't have the scheme or weapons to find out nor do we have the draft capital to fix it.

Watching last night, I thought Barno played better against the run than Burns does.  He didn't break pressures, but in hindsight, I would have rather moved on from him than the other two.

We likely would only have had to give up Burns and the 2023 first to get to number 1

5 minutes ago, PappyMay said:

Yeah, would love to see them attack instead of getting bulldozed over. Starting to get onboard with the Icky to guard train. See how he does there next year. I feel like BC's tenure at left tackle has been better than Icky's performance this year.

Got to get a speedster this offseason to threaten the deep play. Hoped that would be Chark but i was let down. (Worthy from Texas?)

Ickey isn't a West Coast tackle. He's a great power running tackle, but a WCO tackle needs to be more agile and less heavy-footed.

If we keep this approach, I could definitely see moving him to guard and either getting a different left tackle or just trying Christensen out there again.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And to be honest, I'm really starting to question whether Thomas Brown was actually ready for an OC job.

It's hard to really even see him as OC since it's been Frank's offense all year. It looks like he got to pick and choose from Frank's playbook to try and design his own. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not like it was much better when Reich was calling plays.  Even with those years of experience the offense was by far the weakest link.  

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, TheBigKat said:

It’s gonna have to be offseason, we need fast twitch WRs to pair with Mingo/Thielen

draft someone like Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, Hollywood Brown type 

We had the opportunity to draft Downs. We opted for a slow WR and then an edge one pick after Downs who has done nothing. 

We need better talent evaluation because they’ve not only dropped the ball on so many picks but they’re often trading UP to make said picks. 

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Personnel usage (or misusage) is, in my mind, the number one issue we have right now.

• Pie 3

Logically this is what the personnel fits, why would anything else be fine until the personnel is retooled ?

why  would any NFL  professional think otherwise 

the first qtr of the season should’ve proved such to a GM and coach who should have known FROM THE START

this is not new news 

what’s the saying from Einstein 

‘’Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid"

there are a lot of people in the Panthers organization that lack basic, common sense  and I’m done with it 

• Pie 2

Just now, WarHeel said:

We had the opportunity to draft Downs. We opted for a slow WR and then an edge one pick after Downs who has done nothing. 

We need better talent evaluation because they’ve not only dropped the ball on so many picks but they’re often trading UP to make said picks. 

I like Downs and wanted him at 39, but he is a slot which is where AT is playing.  Slot WR might be the only thing on offense that looks decent for us.  

• Pie 1