• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who are David Tepper’s football mentors or influences?

hepcat

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Tepper underestimated the fact that building a football isn’t the same as building a hedge fund. There’s a massive intangible human element to football that he clearly did not understand.

If we play his game and look at players and coaches as if they were individual stock holdings, we would assign a “price” each player is worth at any given moment like a stock, an intrinsic value. The problem with that model is, how do you quantify those values? Each one is so massively volatile because of the human element involved that you can’t use data or algorithms to predict their value or performance on any given day.

It is truly impossible to build a winning football team this way. These are real human beings, not money moving around on a speculative market. The soft skills build better football teams, and to his credit, Jerry Richardson did understand that. It’s a damn shame it’s taking Tepper this long to realize that, if he ever does. 

There's also the issue of not being able to just go buy stock in a player or coach at any given time. Only one team controls those assets. You can't just see a guy like Mahomes and say "hey, that looks like a great investment let's put some money into that!" You gotta find the right assets at the right time and then for it all into the salary cap. It's just a wholly different environment 

I have a friend that works in the FO and asked them this same question. They told me Tepper has a notebook filled with notes and quotes from people he has consulted around the league. It's on his desk 24/7 and Tepper refers to it often to try and give him some direction with the moves he makes and the people he hires.  My friend is a huge fan of the team and hates the direction things are going. They actually took a picture and sent me one of the pages. Risking their anonymity by sharing it but screw it, you all need to see this:

360_F_311172088_nttQVclXmwTCXsYzkzNOO2UMxrZgDaoq.jpg.1a8a38cf1bee5a14dff7f59ace2a3c95.jpg

• Flames 3

13 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Wasn’t he a minority owner in Pittsburgh? One of the most stable franchises in League history? Did he not have conversations with any of the Rooneys about how they have been so successful? 

I think we have an owner who thinks he knows it all and will literally have to destroy this franchise before he learns anything.

Here's your answer below. As a minority owner, he spent most of his time trying to convince them to blow everything up starting with Tomlin who is recently one of the most consistent winning, franchise leaders in the game! 

15 hours ago, frankw said:

Himself.

The man tried to oust Mike Tomlin.

He's an egomaniac.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I have a friend that works in the FO and asked them this same question. They told me Tepper has a notebook filled with notes and quotes from people he has consulted around the league. It's on his desk 24/7 and Tepper refers to it often to try and give him some direction with the moves he makes and the people he hires.  My friend is a huge fan of the team and hates the direction things are going. They actually took a picture and sent me one of the pages. Risking their anonymity by sharing it but screw it, you all need to see this:

360_F_311172088_nttQVclXmwTCXsYzkzNOO2UMxrZgDaoq.jpg.1a8a38cf1bee5a14dff7f59ace2a3c95.jpg

With this post you won the internet for this day.  🙂 

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's also the issue of not being able to just go buy stock in a player or coach at any given time. Only one team controls those assets. You can't just see a guy like Mahomes and say "hey, that looks like a great investment let's put some money into that!" You gotta find the right assets at the right time and then for it all into the salary cap. It's just a wholly different environment 

The “no salary cap on coaches” comment lends me to believe he certainly believes that he can buy NFL assets as if they were stocks. It’s a fundamental flaw in his ability to build a successful NFL franchise. Sometimes the “best” assets won’t be the ones the numbers tell you they are, or the best that money can buy. The best asset is the one that is right for your team. The Panthers as a whole need to start by figuring out who they want to be as people, what identity the team will have, and finding those players. It went from Matt Rhule’s “brand”, whatever that meant, to god only knows under Frank Reich. One thing is clear is the only coach I saw with an identity the players responded to was Steve Wilks. For all his flaws he got more out of the players he had than anyone else Tepper has brought through the door. Soft skills are not in his wheelhouse and it’s painfully obvious every game day.