• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic: Panthers Issues, Bryce, Reich, & More (Vid/Audio)

Bear Hands

7 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

The personnel not aligning to the offense is the trump card for the year though.  That takes the cake on poor decisions. We were trying to aspire to a McVay type offense yet we draft Mingo, give up picks for DJJ, and ignore 5+ absolute burners in this draft when we had no shifty guy. 

Front office people don't determine systems. That's solely coaching.

More to the point though, Reich came in talking about tailoring the scheme to the personnel rather than the other way around.

That should have happened from the beginning. It could have been done at the bye. Hell, it could be done inbetween last Thursday's game and the next one.

But at least based on press conference answers, I don't know that it will be.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Young has the same problem Tua and Mac Jones have.  Average at best NFL arm.  So what's the difference?

With Jones, they look an awful lot like the same player if we're being honest.

With Tua, the difference is the talent.  Tua had similar problems before his roster got absolutely STACKED with receivers.  With the receivers he now has, Tua doesn't have to throw to "NFL Open" receivers.  He's effectively doing exactly what he did in college - throw to guys who are gapping their defenders so bad it looks like the SEC.  Put any kind of stress on that offense at all, and Tue regresses to below average.

Bryce has had opportunities to throw to "NFL Open" receivers.  Plenty of opportunities if we're being honest.  He hesitates.  Or he's not set and ready to throw when the opportunity is there.  Take your pick of the two.

I haven't watched a lot this year but I saw guys who had over the top of the D who looked like they were not concerned and those shots were not taken. Either he can't see it or he won't try. Tua also doesn't look like a post season threat yet on that stacked team.

22 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Bryce has had opportunities to throw to "NFL Open" receivers.  Plenty of opportunities if we're being honest.  He hesitates.  Or he's not set and ready to throw when the opportunity is there.  Take your pick of the two.

That criticism has been .ade in a couple of places.

Here's what bugs the hell out of me regarding the line scheme mismatch.

Analysts see it.

Some reporters see it.

Hell, even fans see it.

There's no way somebody on the coaching staff has not seen this.

James Campen is certainly someone I'd expect to know the difference between a zone and a man/power scheme. And I find it hard to believe he's the only one on a staff full of experienced coaches.

If anybody's talking about it internally, we likely wouldn't know, but we can sure as hell see nothing's been done about it...at least not so far.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Analysts see it.

Some reporters see it.

Hell, even fans see it.

James Campen is certainly someone I'd expect to know the difference between a zone and a man/power scheme. And I find it hard to believe he's the only one on a staff full of experienced coaches.

If anybody's talking about it internally, we likely wouldn't know, but we can sure as hell see nothing's been done about it...at least not so far.

That has bugged me for weeks. All I hear is they want to make changes but not adjustments.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Analysts see it.

Some reporters see it.

Hell, even fans see it.

Round peg square hole is gonna be this staff’s downfall.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Analysts see it.

Some reporters see it.

Hell, even fans see it.

We truly don’t know the extent David Tepper is meddling with the coaching staff. Whose decision was it to give playcalling to Thomas Brown? I really really hope he isn’t making X’s and O’s Decisions but he’s choosing QBs apparently so who knows 

20 hours ago, Daeavorn said:

They used that stupid S2 test and convinced themselves that Bryce's intellect, which may be greater than average, makes up for his below average physical attributes. It's pretty impressive how that many experienced football guys all made the same mistake.

Bryce was considered the #1 QB prospect long before the S2 test came out.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

More to the point though, Reich came in talking about tailoring the scheme to the personnel rather than the other way around.

That should have happened from the beginning. It could have been done at the bye. Hell, it could be done inbetween last Thursday's game and the next one.

But wouldn’t the front office know what system/scheme the coach they hire would run? If they knew, it’s their fault. If they didn’t ask, also their fault. It is such a mess.

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Analysts see it.

Some reporters see it.

Hell, even fans see it.

What bugs me is that nobody from the media is asking Frank those questions. It should be the first thing to ask. 

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Many GMs work with coaches with a distinct vision in mind so there's trust and an agreed upon idea of the players they target vs. don't.  That's league wide.  Seems like we still just don't have an agreed upon framework and the guys that fit that...or they really thought they sufficiently addressed what they needed to.

They knew all the right things to say but didn't actually do it.  So it tells me rather than this being willful ignorance out of pride, this is them thinking they can make this happen with the players they have.  So it's a miss in evaluation on the front end and coaching on the back.  

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Martin said:

But wouldn’t the front office know what system/scheme the coach they hire would run? If they knew, it’s their fault. If they didn’t ask, also their fault. It is such a mess.

The OL was already built when he got here. No indication he wanted to retool it. Zavala was drafted as depth.

Reich stated that his preference was to tailor the scheme to the players. He's not doing it and I can't imagine why.

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Many GMs work with coaches with a distinct vision in mind so there's trust and an agreed upon idea of the players they target vs. don't.  That's league wide.  Seems like we still just don't have an agreed upon framework and the guys that fit that...or they really thought they sufficiently addressed what they needed to.

They knew all the right things to say but didn't actually do it.  So it tells me rather than this being willful ignorance out of pride, this is them thinking they can make this happen with the players they have.  So it's a miss in evaluation on the front end and coaching on the back.  

See above. They made no effort to retool the line that was already built. There's not really even any evidence that they thought about it.

When James Campen was hired in San Diego, front office specifically stated that they were going to let him dictate what blocking scheme they ran. He looked at the personnel and decided zone blocking was the best fit.

It's clearly not the best fit here, and I can't imagine Campen doesn't know that.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

See above. They made no effort to retool the line that was already built. There's not really even any evidence that they thought about it.

When James Campen was hired in San Diego, front office specifically stated that they were going to let him dictate what blocking scheme they ran. He looked at the personnel and decided zone blocking was the best fit.

It's clearly not the best fit here, and I can't imagine Campen doesn't know that.

Sure.  What you said is fine, but seems like an independent point from what I'm saying.