• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

History is Repeating Itself with Frank Reich as a Play-caller

DFive

This video goes over Reich's last stand in Indy when he fired his OC and took over play-calling. *SPOILER ALERT* He was immediately fired after his first game back as OC. We can only hope this happens here after the impending Dallas blowout. But what's more concerning is when you look at his offense last year, it looks like a mirror image of the offense we have now. The same issues of: poor Oline blocking, WRs with no separation, QB having no one to throw to at the top of his drop, and plays that take too long to develop, are all there just like they are now with us. The YouTuber makes a comment at the end stating he does not believe Bryce Young was the QB Reich wanted for this offense, but honestly, looking at how things are nothing seems to have changed even though he had taller QBs in Indy, it would not have mattered who the QB was for this team, as we were always doomed to fail with Frank Reich. 

Edited by DFive
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 2

Frank had one good offense in Indy in 2020. That was Sirianni’s last year as OC. 

After that, Frank went to his bland offense that he took to the Panthers.

Sirianni took his offense to the eagles and went to the SB.

Seeing how good Indy’s OL played in 2020 and how bad they were after is crazy.

• Pie 2

Firing Reich is the easy part.

My concern if after Reich is gone is seeing how the next man up next year builds an offense around Bryce to not only fit his strengths and hide his weaknesses more but also make that a successful unit in comparison to the rest of the league. We are either going to be much happier or we are going to see some of the same issues. I'm thinking it's going to be a mixture of both.

Thomas Brown about to be done even dirtier IMO.  It's all setting up for him to be the scapegoat IMO.  Well, if I had a good OC I wouldn't have to be doing so much.  Thomas wasn't ready.  I just showed you Mr. Tepper.  He couldn't make my horrific offense better.  

Same thing happened last year.  Frank threw his non-playcalling under the bus first.  Only twist this time is Frank let Thomas call a couple games (which I don't think was ever the actual plan in 2023).

#All Star Staff seems to already be entering scapegoat season.  So the question is simply when Bryce and the O continue to be what they are now that Frank is back in the saddle......where do they ultmiately point the finger.  Because that is always the game in the NFL.  They all do it.  Every single HC enters those moments at some point.  

I actually think Campen is first up.   I think Frank starts there.  But after that, I think Frank fully demotes Brown out of OC.   We see Jim Caldwell.    Because Christmas season and scapegoat season are both about to arrive.  And that's when bodies go under the bus.  It never fails.  Someone has to be at fault.  That's how the NFL functions. 

37 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I just cannot imagine failing at my job, being fired, and then failing at my job again doing the same thing. Profession be damned. Know when to look in the mirror and either do better and try something else out. 

That is the odd part. I fell for it and was pro Frank as I thought he would have learned his lessons, bringing in new ideas etc. But apparently nothing has changed. Really odd.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Martin said:

That is the odd part. I fell for it and was pro Frank as I thought he would have learned his lessons, bringing in new ideas etc. But apparently nothing has changed. Really odd.

I completely agree. I was even laughing at all the other teams who hired first time HC's and was actually happy we had a HC who had experience and "learned" from his past mistakes. Boy, was I wrong. Now I hope we get a first time HC because those afore mentioned rookie HCs are doing better than us. Shoot, look at Dan Campbell, I laughed watching his initial presser and thought he was going to be bust. The Lions are one of the best teams in the NFC and are on the rise. Meanwhile, we are a dumpster fire of an organization and about to be going on another HC search. The NFL really is Not For Long and the No Fun League for us in Panther Nation. 

• Pie 1

I have learned never believe any of the BS a coach spews during the off-season or right after he gets hired. 
Rivera said he had to change the season before he got fired. He kept talking a big game and come time for the season to begin he went right back to what made him comfortable.  He didn’t change anything. 
Reich said he learned from his last coaching gig. That is an obvious bald face lie. 

45 minutes ago, CRA said:

Thomas Brown about to be done even dirtier IMO.  It's all setting up for him to be the scapegoat IMO.  Well, if I had a good OC I wouldn't have to be doing so much.  Thomas wasn't ready.  I just showed you Mr. Tepper.  He couldn't make my horrific offense better.  

Same thing happened last year.  Frank threw his non-playcalling under the bus first.  Only twist this time is Frank let Thomas call a couple games (which I don't think was ever the actual plan in 2023).

#All Star Staff seems to already be entering scapegoat season.  So the question is simply when Bryce and the O continue to be what they are now that Frank is back in the saddle......where do they ultmiately point the finger.  Because that is always the game in the NFL.  They all do it.  Every single HC enters those moments at some point.  

I actually think Campen is first up.   I think Frank starts there.  But after that, I think Frank fully demotes Brown out of OC.   We see Jim Caldwell.    Because Christmas season and scapegoat season are both about to arrive.  And that's when bodies go under the bus.  It never fails.  Someone has to be at fault.  That's how the NFL functions. 

Thomas Brown is out either way. Either Frank will fire him to bring in a new OC, or Thomas goes with the rest of the staff when Frank is fired.