• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Picked Bryce?

tukafan21

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Everyone (media, coaches, scouting community, etc etc) had Bryce as QB 1, this isn’t some crazy “we reached” issue. If we had taken Levis you could have argued that this was forced from someone.

Why did they miss what do many Huddlers saw? Plenty of us talked about this guy being seriously physically limited at the NFL level. Not just in terms of physical size, but arm talent. I got called all kinds of names by folks for saying that Bryce's arm talent was NFL average at very best and that IMO it was below average. Why didn't the experts see this?

This is what I said a week before the draft. 

To save you the click:

"I don't think the concerns about Young's arm are zero. I think his arm is average at best at the NFL level. Watching him play he needs time to wind up and step into the throw to generate velocity or go deep.

I'm excited about his potential and if our staff is completely sold on him then I have confidence he'll translate but the physical concerns are real as hell."

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Why did they miss what do many Huddlers saw? Plenty of us talked about this guy being seriously physically limited at the NFL level. Not just in terms of physical size, but arm talent. I got called all kinds of names by folks for saying that Bryce's arm talent was NFL average at very best and that IMO it was below average. Why didn't the experts see this?

Because the tape is there that he can function as a QB. You can argue size and arm strength but these attributes arent deal breakers because no one cares if you can throw it 70 yards. Coaches want people to throw the ball where it needs to go when it needs to go. Right now we don’t have that set up for Bryce to do that. 

Bryce is super raw right now but he’s show flashes that he can work in this league. Even if his ceiling is Tua I would take that over what’s coming out of the NCAA over the next few years because the league is about to be QB starved.

4 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Because the tape is there that he can function as a QB. You can argue size and arm strength but these attributes arent deal breakers because no one cares if you can throw it 70 yards. Coaches want people to throw the ball where it needs to go when it needs to go. Right now we don’t have that set up for Bryce to do that. 

Bryce is super raw right now but he’s show flashes that he can work in this league. Even if his ceiling is Tua I would take that over what’s coming out of the NCAA over the next few years because the league is about to be QB starved.

Go back and read the edit. I linked what I said about Bryce a week before the draft. I mean... who was closer, me or the experts?

Bryce is absolutely not "raw as hell". Bryce was drafted specifically for his polish and mental superiority. Don't try to twist this into this being some raw developmental prospect situation all of a sudden. That would've been Anthony Richardson. Bryce was drafted large part because he was supposed to be plug and play from day one. The concern about Bryce was always about his physical upside. That he might already be as good as he's going to get.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Tepper, Fitts, Reich, Brown have all claimed they have. It’s not like he was some crazy reach at 1. Lots of analysts had him at one. We have to blow it up, get one more look at him next year with some actual help then decide if we move on or not in 2025. 

Lots of analysts also had Stroud being better, I and many others here preferred him too. Biggest thing is when you’re trading up to 1 you have to get the decision right. Fireable offense to blow it this bad. Unfortunately we have no one to fire the owner though, as this is his doing 

• Flames 2

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Go back and read the edit. I linked what I said about Bryce a week before the draft. I mean... who was closer, me or the experts?

Bryce is absolutely not "raw as hell". Bryce was drafted specifically for his polish and mental superiority. Don't try to twist this into this being some raw developmental prospect situation all of a sudden. That would've been Anthony Richardson. Bryce was drafted large part because he was supposed to be plug and play from day one. The concern about Bryce was always about his physical upside. That he might already be as good as he's going to get.

When I say raw I’m talking about how to function in the nfl and not just QBing in general. Bryce is smart but has things to work on, if you want to see someone not worth anything watch Zach Wilson today. Bryce hasn’t looked anything like that.

Allllll these QBs from this last class were raw in different aspects. I’m not making excuses for Bryce but he’s not a finished product. People get hyped on “pro ready” yada yada yada but the last “generational” prospect and Bryce sure do have some similar rookie numbers.

Just now, Panthercougar68 said:

When I say raw I’m talking about how to function in the nfl and not just QBing in general. Bryce is smart but has things to work on, if you want to see someone not worth anything watch Zach Wilson today. Bryce hasn’t looked anything like that.

Allllll these QBs from this last class were raw in different aspects. I’m not making excuses for Bryce but he’s not a finished product. People get hyped on “pro ready” yada yada yada but the last “generational” prospect and Bryce sure do have some similar rookie numbers.

The key difference is that no other high pick has ever been as physically limited as Bryce. You can sell me on the upside of a guy with elite physical talent. 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, t96 said:

Lots of analysts also had Stroud being better, I and many others here preferred him too. Biggest thing is when you’re trading up to 1 you have to get the decision right. Fireable offense to blow it this bad. Unfortunately we have no one to fire the owner though, as this is his doing 

Stroud would look better here and was the better prospect, but who knows exactly how good he would look. Fitt has this roster stripped down on offense and Reich has them playing away from any strengths they have. I don’t know how well Aaron Rodgers would look in this offense. Fitt and Reich both have to go before they can do any further damage.

My only point was no one batted an eye at the selection of Young. He was picked around were most projected but the team we’ve built for him and the scheme Reich is forcing this offense to run is inexcusable.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud would look better here and was the better prospect, but who knows exactly how good he would look. Fitt has this roster stripped down on offense and Reich has them playing away from any strengths they have. I don’t know how well Aaron Rodgers would look in this offense. Fitt and Reich both have to go before they can do any further damage.

My only point was no one batted an eye at the selection of Young. He was picked around were most projected but the team we’ve built for him and the scheme Reich is forcing this offense to run is inexcusable.

I let the opinions of experts convince me to be okay with the pick but I never wanted Bryce. The physical limitations were all over his college tape. The guy needed an airport runway to generate velocity or go deep and that just rarely exists in the NFL. I just don't know how the experts overlooked it. That's what baffles me. Bryce is honestly even more physically limited than I even thought, but does Bryce looking physically outmatched in the NFL surprising to me? Not in the least. It's what I saw in his college tape.

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I absolutely think it was the teppers.  Moreover, I had a realization, I think in the interview process, he asked both Reich and Wilks if they'd be ok with them moving up to take Bryce.  Wilks said no because he needed input on who they would sign (makes sense after his Josh rosen clusterfug) where as Reich just said yes.  This is just all conjecture, but I absolutely would not be surprised if this were true. 

I can see it. You don’t have to know what was said. All you really need is belief that Tepper knew Wilks would hold to his code in a head to head disagreement. 

And that Reich would compromise as we have seen. All that consensus jazz.

I think Reich has decided that he is done consensussing though.  Wonder if he manages to get fired at halftime pretty soon. 

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I let the opinions of experts convince me to be okay with the pick but I never wanted Bryce. The physical limitations were all over his college tape. The guy needed an airport runway to generate velocity or go deep and that just rarely exists in the NFL. I just don't know how the experts overlooked it. That's what baffles me. Bryce is honestly even more physically limited than I even thought, but does Bryce looking physically outmatched in the NFL surprising to me? Not in the least. It's what I saw in his college tape.

Yeah I’m not talking about people on here. A majority of us wanted Stroud. I’m talking about all these analysts/former GMs/former players/draft boards. People are acting like Tepper found a random QB and no one on this staff wanted him. I don’t think that was the case. Everything Fitt has said sounded like Young was his guy and Reich and his crew were easily convinced if nothing else. 

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The key difference is that no other high pick has ever been as physically limited as Bryce. You can sell me on the upside of a guy with elite physical talent. 

Yep

as bill Parcells said when asked about the small statue and BY in the NFL

Quote, He better walk on water’

i sure ain’t seen no ‘water walking’

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I’m not talking about people on here. A majority of us wanted Stroud. I’m talking about all these analysts/former GMs/former players/draft boards. People are acting like Tepper found a random QB and no one on this staff wanted him. I don’t think that was the case. Everything Fitt has said sounded like Young was his guy and Reich and his crew were easily convinced if nothing else. 

Why did they all most what seemed so obvious? What caused them to overlook the obvious physical limitations and convince themselves Bryce could be an elite NFL QB? Bruce looks like the historical Heisman QBs that everyone praised as a great college QB but then just chuckled when the NFL was mentioned and said, "C'mon now. Be serious. Dude ain't an NFL QB."