• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston sums it up

TN05

14 hours ago, TN05 said:

It wasn't close to coming back, it straight up came back. Keep Pounding, smashmouth football. That team had an identity. Coached the whole season by Wilkes, that's a playoff team for sure. One that gets booted round one, but still a playoff team.

We forged our identity during the Fox years and that first Super Bowl run. And we followed it up during the Rivera years with Cam and Luke leading the team. 

We would run the ball down your throat on offense and let it rip down field when you were reeling. On defense we would just beat the crap out of you for four quarters and try to intimidate you. Yet, we weren't the bad guys, we weren't yellow flag factories or cheap shot artists. We beat you down fair and square and even when we lost, you knew you'd been through a scrape. It was like being clobbered over the head again and again by a book on Southern hospitality. 

We didn't try to get all cutesy and clever and we sure as fug never played timid like we do now. Tepper bought the franchise and tried to remake us into Pittsburgh south and instead just neutered the cats. 

After Rhule and Reich, we've become the Carolina Pansies.

Summer Flower GIF

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

No one knows how Wilks would have done. He’s not Ron Rivera. Ron Rivera is Ron Rivera. 

I've always hated the "Wilks is just another _____" thing. That's total projection. If you go by the actual facts on the field, he resurrected a team that looked DOA. If Eddy doesn't get the yips in Atlanta, Wilks is 7-5, wins the division, and makes the playoffs AFTER having to put out Rhule's dumpster fire. He never even got his own offseason, his own staff, or his own draft picks.

Even the most anti-Wilks people have to admit that if it was an "opportunity" from Tepper, he absolutely stepped up. But because Wilks wasn't going to throw the ball 50 times a game, he never stood a chance.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

23 hours ago, Dorian Gray said:

I've always hated the "Wilks is just another _____" thing. That's total projection. If you go by the actual facts on the field, he resurrected a team that looked DOA. If Eddy doesn't get the yips in Atlanta, Wilks is 7-5, wins the division, and makes the playoffs AFTER having to put out Rhule's dumpster fire. He never even got his own offseason, his own staff, or his own draft picks.

Even the most anti-Wilks people have to admit that if it was an "opportunity" from Tepper, he absolutely stepped up. But because Wilks wasn't going to throw the ball 50 times a game, he never stood a chance.

Also:

he in no way would cow tow to Tepper 

he was an unquestioned alpha

he was a Jerry holdover 

Wilks could have gone undefeated but still would have been let go. Wilks could not be allowed in any way to look like the reason for the resurrection of the panthers, and it damn sure wouldn’t be allowed to resemble Jerry ball. 

Wilks  intimidated Tepper. It couldn’t be allowed to be seen as Steve’s team, doing it Steve’s (Jerry’s) way. 

Notice that although we do have some good players, you can’t identify a single one  as the unquestioned alpha personality. Prior to us turning in to a flag football team we prided ourselves on drafting those types of people. The I’d rather die than lose people. Heart. 

Steve was heart. Dave wants lemmings, robots and zombies. We’ll never win again until we start stacking the team like we used to do. 

• Beer 3

24 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Also:

he in no way would cow tow to Tepper 

he was an unquestioned alpha

he was a Jerry holdover 

Wilks could have gone undefeated but still would have been let go. Wilks could not be allowed in any way to look like the reason for the resurrection of the panthers, and it damn sure wouldn’t be allowed to resemble Jerry ball. 

Wilks  intimidated Tepper. It couldn’t be allowed to be seen as Steve’s team, doing it Steve’s (Jerry’s) way. 

Notice that although we do have some good players, you can’t identify a single one  as the unquestioned alpha personality. Prior to us turning in to a flag football team we prided ourselves on drafting those types of people. The I’d rather die than lose people. Heart. 

Steve was heart. Dave wants lemmings, robots and zombies. We’ll never win again until we start stacking the team like we used to do. 

Fwiw, I do get heart and emotion from the way luvu plays.  I'd say brown, but its also possible he's playing for his payday right now.  Besides that, zilch, just guys collecting paychecks.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Fwiw, I do get heart and emotion from the way luvu plays.  I'd say brown, but its also possible he's playing for his payday right now.  Besides that, zilch, just guys collecting paychecks.

Luvu all day long. By far my favorite player on the team and my next jersey if he chooses to sign with this poo show, although there’s a big part of me that wants to see him get 4 years $28m and play for a SB contender. He’s a more lead by example guy. A blue chip player, but it’ll never be viewed as his defense like it was Luke’s defense or Cam’s offense. Brown is a BEAST, but the same applies to him as well. 

1 hour ago, GEM said:

You are right!! That's why I am so frustrated. I deeply feel that if we would have stayed with Wilks, we would be winning the division this year. 

Over half the team looks like they’re constantly taking plays off. I can promise you this doesn’t happen under his leadership. It was one of the bigger factors in the rally last season.

Wilks managing the coaches, players and coordinators and him not calling plays. I would have really loved to have seen that.  

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I'll throw some love to Chuba. He's been thoroughly outplaying the guy they paid big money to replace him with.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

I’ll throw Woods in there too. If it wasn’t for the new age soft rules resulting in his “personal fouls”, he’s been exactly the hard hitting, give up his body to blow up the catch, tone setter at safety that we love. 

“Defenseless receiver” calls are so subjective and inconsistent, yet they call it every time on him.

But I see a guy with impeccable timing who isn’t afraid of a damn thing. I like him. 

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Over half the team looks like they’re constantly taking plays off. I can promise you this doesn’t happen under his leadership. It was one of the bigger factors in the rally last season.

Wilks managing the coaches, players and coordinators and him not calling plays. I would have really loved to have seen that.  

I am not an expert. But I have seen enough football to know that they played tough. Maybe ugly, but I kinda like,hide the women and children football.

• The D 1

3 minutes ago, Car123 said:

The funny thing is that people say Wilks is just another Rivera, a ground and pound outdated football coach, but with Wilks, we put up a lot of points on the board with garbage at qb.

EXACTLY. 

For whatever reason, people want to score a certain way. I just want us to score. 

You’d think having Cam for nearly a decade would have shown people that what matters is moving the ball down field. Air, ground, penalty? Who cares. 

Just move the ball down there and give yourselves a chance. 

People are obsessed with analytics, advanced stats, completion percentage, QBR, PFF, blah blah blah………S2 test scores…………

Making it too complex. 

I don’t care if my QB has 50% completion if we score 27 points. That’s what matters. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:22 AM, Dorian Gray said:

Only gripe I had with Wilks was his inability to adjust coverages during the 2nd Tampa game and punting inside the 50 on 4th and shorts. Other than that he assembled the most competent stretch of Panthers football since early 2018

• Beer 1