• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reich's last year in Indy

ForJimmy

Indy was 3-3-1 when Irsay made Frank bench Matt Ryan in favor of Sam Ehlinger who promptly went 0-2 leading to Frank's dismissal.   Again, you can't make a call as a owner, it backfire and then hand someone a pink slip.  I mean you could if you are a) setting the HC up for failure because you want them to fail so you can immediately hire your drinking buddy or b) just an @sshole.

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Indy was 3-3-1 when Irsay made Frank bench Matt Ryan in favor of Sam Ehlinger who promptly went 0-2 leading to Frank's dismissal.   Again, you can't make a call as an owner, it backfire and then hand someone a pink slip.  I mean you could if you are a) setting the HC up for failure because you want them to fail so you can immediately hire your drinking buddy or b) just an @sshole.

The 3 wins were pretty low scoring and their QB was getting destroyed the whole time. If we want to get a decent OL, protect our QB, and open up our offense the first step is to remove Reich. Fitt is probably step 2 or 1B…

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

It’s mostly not being able to get WRs open quickly which results in more sacks and pressures.

That contributes but it's more than that. So many times lineman are just not looking at rushers, being entirely unable to manage stunts, etc. There are major protection scheme and coaching flaws at a fundamental level.

31 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The 3 wins were pretty low scoring and their QB was getting destroyed the whole time. If we want to get a decent OL, protect our QB, and open up our offense the first step is to remove Reich. Fitt is probably step 2 or 1B…

Just curious as to why you are focused just on the last year?  Obviously he was fired for under performing, but being objective, shouldn't you look at his entire tenure as the Colts HC?  I mean John Fox's last year here was a train wreck, the same with Ron Rivera, which would lead one to think these guys were horrible coaches.  Each got us to a Super Bowl.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Just curious as to why you are focused just on the last year?  Obviously he was fired for under performing, but being objective, shouldn't you look at his entire tenure as the Colts HC?  I mean John Fox's last year here was a train wreck, the same with Ron Rivera, which would lead one to think these guys were horrible coaches.  Each got us to a Super Bowl.

Just showing how he has become outdated. Plus I stumbled across this Matt Ryan article and it looked very familiar. @CRA was mentioning his offensive issues dating back to San Diego. I’ll have to see how Rivers and Wentz held up in a Reich OL scheme…

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Just showing how he has become outdated. Plus I stumbled across this Matt Ryan article and it looked very familiar. @CRA was mentioning his offensive issues dating back to San Diego. I’ll have to see how Rivers and Wentz held up in a Reich OL scheme…

image.png.20751431150d94e89ae7db7a6ba7c204.pngimage.png.89ad5faf6f65434c2bf0514a556251df.png

image.png.2c2d81fe67344db589ded442accfbab4.png

image.png.eab88051340bfb21be4ecb01df63500b.png

There ya go, I helped you out.  Descending order from 2021 to 2018.  Dude never had the same starter in consecutive years and yet was a ~.500 coach or better up until 2022.   Again, he was 3-3-1 when Irsay stepped in.

24 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.20751431150d94e89ae7db7a6ba7c204.pngimage.png.89ad5faf6f65434c2bf0514a556251df.png

image.png.2c2d81fe67344db589ded442accfbab4.png

image.png.eab88051340bfb21be4ecb01df63500b.png

There ya go, I helped you out.  Descending order from 2021 to 2018.  Dude never had the same starter in consecutive years and yet was a ~.500 coach or better up until 2022.   Again, he was 3-3-1 when Irsay stepped in.

How often were his QBs getting pressured? I’m concerned Reich has issues with OL in his scheme. I know Luck retired early due to injuries and he was constantly hit, but Frank only had him for one year. Even in his 3 wins his last season the offense struggled and his QB was abused. Our OL looks way worse under him than it did last year as well.

Edited by ForJimmy

So it seems the only notably success Reich has had offensively in the NFL was in 2017. He was offensive coordinator on that Carson Wentz/Nick Foles team that won the superbowl. Anyone know if that offense was notably creative and innovative? Or was it mainly because of overwhelming talent like us in 2015? 

Also did Reich even call plays? Because Doug Pederson was the head coach and I believe he calls plays on offense? 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, emhoward said:

So it seems the only notably success Reich has had offensively in the NFL was in 2017. He was offensive coordinator on that Carson Wentz/Nick Foles team that won the superbowl. Anyone know if that offense was notably creative and innovative? Or was it mainly because of overwhelming talent like us in 2015? 

Also did Reich even call plays? Because Doug Pederson was the head coach and I believe he calls plays on offense? 

Pederson called the plays I believe. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, emhoward said:

Peterson called plays.

Franks 2020 Colts were good, but that was Sirianni’s last year as OC before the eagles.

It was downhill from there for Frank.

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

What in the world is it Reich is trying to get his OLs to do that has consistently caused such awful results?

We have big, "road grader" type offensive line personnel but we're running a zone blocking scheme that requires smaller, more agile linemen to be effective.

It's roughly equivalent to sending a big blocking tight end on a speed route while asking a small scatback to single block a defensive end.