• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Brinson rips David Tepper

Mr. Scot

55 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Under Tepper, the Panthers have become The New Browns, which is not a good thing. Just like Jimmy Haslam, Tepper is a former Steelers minority owner and bombastic businessman hellbent on believing he will win in the NFL because he won in business. Tepper won big-big in business too. He's a hyper-aggressive hedge fund billionaire with his name on Carnegie-Mellon buildings. Until the Waltons dipped their toe in the game, he was the NFL's richest owner.

He knows how to read markets, he knows how to flip assets, but he clearly doesn't know how to run a professional football team. Unless he's trying to run it into the ground, which he's currently succeeding in doing.

Take into account draft capital and the Panthers have the bleakest future prospects of any NFL team by a wide margin. They are the worst team -- and offense -- in the league. How does the offense improve when there's a massive dearth in terms of pass protection and a complete void in terms of vertical weapons for the passing game. Bryce Young is averaging 5.4 yards per pass attempt. The Panthers have scored more than 14 points in four games this year and in every single instance it required garbage time.

They have no 2024 first-round pick. The only thing standing in the way of Carolina handing Chicago the first overall pick in 2024 are ... Bill Belichick and Mac Jones? Maybe the Cardinals, but Kyler Murray has them back to being feisty/competitive most weeks now. Giants undrafted rookie quarterback Tommy DeVito has more wins than the Panthers this season.

So to recap: the Panthers don't have a coach, they lack future assets and they're not sure whether or not they have a quarterback. Which is basically how it's been half the time under Tepper.

This is not ~all~ Tepper's fault. Reich deserves some blame. So does Bryce. GM Scott Fitterer didn't do a good job putting this roster together. The pass catchers haven't helped the young quarterback. The offensive line? SHAME. Blame bad luck if you want.

But, the bottom line is -- and every good CEO of any decent company will tell you this -- the buck stops at the top. Tepper constantly speaks of needing two things: a coach who is a program builder and a franchise quarterback. He's not wrong there. Those things are important, but any average football fan and/or small child knows that's what you need in the NFL.

And knowing is just half the battle. Execution is key and Tepper has failed miserably with both of them so far.

"Take into account draft capital and the Panthers have the bleakest future prospects of any NFL team by a wide margin. They are the worst team -- and offense -- in the league. How does the offense improve when there's a massive dearth in terms of pass protection and a complete void in terms of vertical weapons for the passing game. Bryce Young is averaging 5.4 yards per pass attempt. The Panthers have scored more than 14 points in four games this year and in every single instance it required garbage time."

This one is easy. You improve by doing what we did in 2022. You run from under center, you run play action, you run the roll out game, you run crossers, verts, screens to tight ends, all from under center. You don't go shotgun, not because it won't work, but because you have to protect your line.

What got Reich fired? He saw the teams weakness and instead of guarding that "sector of battle" by adding reinforcements, he effectively chose to abandon it for the enemy to conquer by running 4 and 5 receiver empty sets. He chose to run from under center, then pass out of the shotgun, creating predictability that the enemy could read.

You reinforce your weakness in war, and in football. You do that by either adding personnel, or by changing tactics to protect it. Frank exposed it, and that's why he is gone.

Ironically enough, it's why Wilks should've been retained. He saw all of our weaknesses last year and quite literally blanketed them to the point where they very nearly became strengths, including the offensive line.

I know that no one is going to read this, not least of which is anyone important, so I expect the same poo to keep happening. Keep hiring poor people and firing the best people. It's the Tepper way. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The QB isn’t the only issue with this team. Pretty much the entire offense (Reich’s specialty) is a disaster. 

Wouldn't deny that.

The decision to employ zone blocking when we had a bunch of maulers on the line was baffling. Likewise, depth chart decisions like sticking with Sanders and sitting Blackshear when he was leading the league in kickoff returns made no sense.

Even with all that said though, if Tepper or Fitterer pushed Bryce Young over Reich's wishes, he has a very legitimate complaint.

(not that I think he'll air it)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is Sanjay again, isn't it?

Would you like to tell us about two tight end sets and The Appaloosa Way?

Lol, you can’t really answer any question I have so you resort to this. Sanjay was a complete buffoon. I never said Tepper was good (amazing you still can’t get that) but you go through so many hoops to back the guys you backed. Sorry you were wrong on Fitt deserving more time and you are wrong about Reich and luckily we will not have to worry about Reich. Just need to toss Fitt.

Just now, WhoKnows said:

Lol, you can’t really answer any question I have so you resort to this. Sanjay was a complete buffoon. I never said Tepper was good (amazing you still can’t get that) but you go through so many hoops to back the guys you backed. Sorry you were wrong on Fitt deserving more time and you are wrong about Reich and luckily we will not have to worry about Reich. Just need to toss Fitt.

Riiiiight.

I think I've seen this movie.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't deny that.

The decision to employ zone blocking when we had a bunch of maulers on the line was baffling. Likewise, depth chart decisions like sticking with Sanders and sitting Blackshear when he was leading the league in kickoff returns made no sense.

Even with all that said though, if Tepper or Fitterer pushed Bryce Young over Reich's wishes, he has a very legitimate complaint.

I think he can complain about Young (if true), but overall he has nothing to stand on. 

Just now, Martin said:

I think he can complain about Young (if true), but overall he has nothing to stand on. 

If Young wasn't who he wanted, that's a pretty big deal.

Stephen Holder, Dan Patrick and others have all said that Tepper heavily influenced the choice of Young.

That said, having Stroud wouldn't have made the offensive line mismatch or the depth chart decisions any better.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

If Young wasn't who he wanted, that's a pretty big deal.

Stephen Holder, Dan Patrick and others have all said that Tepper heavily influenced the choice of Young.

That said, having Stroud wouldn't have made the offensive line mismatch or the depth chart decisions any better.

There are also other sources saying they were all aligned around Young. But water under the bridge at this point. What matters is what we do moving forward.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Wouldn't deny that.

Our offensive line could be fine, if we did what we did in 2022 under Wilks. That's why I want a defensive head coach. With such a putrid offense right now, we need to run and have play action from under center while playing an aggressive form of defense. 

Bring back Wilks. Right the wrong Tepper.