• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I'm Not Out on Bryce (Just Yet)

SetfreexX

2 hours ago, Basbear said:

The team around young is bad, but young has done nothing to help elevate them either. Hes just to blame as others.

Again the bears and giants have teams either just as bad or worse than the panthers. Two different UDFAs have started mid-season and won double the games young has with 10 games.

Just the facts. 

NYG - Waller, Saquan, Slayton

CHI - Moore, Kmet, Mooney

Our offenses can't even really come close to matching those trios, and they're not great trios.

1 hour ago, tukafan21 said:

Even as bad as everything else is around him, he just can't make simple NFL level throws.

And I don't even mean the wow plays that elite QB's make, I just mean simple throws such as from one hash to the far sideline on a rope to get there before the defender can break it up.

I don't care how much you improve the rest, when the kid just doesn't have the arm to make throws that 95% of back-ups in the league have the arm to make, he's never going to succeed at a high level, no matter how much is fixed around him.

Also what made him successful in college as his ability to feel the rush and step around it to make plays on the move.  The problem is he's not quick or fast enough to avoid NFL level pass rushers, and all they have to do is get one hand on him and he's then not strong enough to break free.

Everyone kept talking about how he was able to do it in the SEC, so he could do it in the NFL.  But I remember making a thread a while back about that, even in the SEC, outside of a couple teams, most teams have at most 1 or 2 NFL level defenders, so he never regularly had to avoid NFL quality pass rushers.

So let me ask because Tua had the same narrative, weak arm, small, etc. 

It was consensus Bryce has a better arm, and there are plenty of field side throws on his Bama tape.

The things that changed for Tua was adding WRs that get open quick. With that we also saw the deep ball to Hill vs Jackson. Name a guy that does that for us. 

We can't be lazy with our takes or stances. 

• Pie 1

No reason to be out tbh 

if we can surround him with the right coaching and FO combo I don’t think even with his deficiencies, young can’t be good enough for us to compete 

reality is however, the likelyhood we hire the right coach, and Gm to right the ship is slim to none base off this tepper guy, so that means another year of young looking like a bust

Young can work on his footwork, technique etc in the off-season if he’s serious about taking the next step as a qb, but we’d need the right coach who can see Young’s current issues, and either prepare a system to hide those flaws while taking advantage of his strengths or at least try and fix those issues in Young. 

39 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

So let me ask because Tua had the same narrative, weak arm, small, etc. 

It was consensus Bryce has a better arm, and there are plenty of field side throws on his Bama tape.

The things that changed for Tua was adding WRs that get open quick. With that we also saw the deep ball to Hill vs Jackson. Name a guy that does that for us. 

We can't be lazy with our takes or stances. 

Tua is 6'1" and 227 lbs, he had more of a frame to add bulk and muscle, and he's still has a bottom half of the league QB in terms of arm strength himself.  Bryce is just flat out small, he's only going to get so strong.  He could fix a lot of his problems and become an average QB in this league (I don't think he will, but it's not impossible).  

But he will never have even league average arm strength, I honestly don't think it's even one that's up for debate with Bryce's future, it's just a fact at this point.  The league is filled with strong armed QBs, they may not be great QB's, but they have the arm for it.  Of the usual starters in the league right now (so not backups starting at the moment), who is even close to Bryce's arm strength in regards to weakness right now?

Maybe Pickett?  Purdy?  Love?  And even they have stronger arms, how much do you think he can improve there when the league is filled with guys who can toss it 60 yards with a flick of the wrist when that's a full body max heave for Bryce?  Bryce has no fastball and you need to be able to zip it into tight windows more than 5 yards down the field to be a wining QB in the NFL today.

Obviously he'd do better if he had guys like Tyreek and Waddle, but fact remains that Bryce has a noodle for an arm, it's clear as day on his throws, he doesn't have remotely close to the zip needed at this level.  He could turn his career around and be an average starter, but he'll be doing it with below average arm strength.    

Edited by tukafan21

I dont have an issue with people being out on Bryce as a franchise guy. If youve seen enough, you've seen enough. My only contention is it's too early to call him a bust taking into account the lack of talent around him. 

There's a difference between not being a franchise guy and being a bust imo. 

Edited by emhoward