• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC Trade, et all

Shocker

1 minute ago, BY9Franchise said:

Chuck you are doubly incorrect.... 

*going to find your trade with Chicago posts*

Nothing to hide. You'll find me being quite angry about trading DJ Moore. Didn't think it was a good idea but tried to make sense of it by finding solace in the fact we would be drafting a QB who had what I thought was similar arm talent to Cam Newton in a kid by the name of CJ Stroud.

Of course we passed on him.

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Shocker said:

It was clear when they did it…this isn’t 20/20 talk.  That was always a ridiculous trade by ridiculous people 

None of the 3 big moves in the last 2 years are hindsight is 20/20

The CMC trade, the #1 pick trade, the Bryce selection were all things that 90% of the casual fans could look at and immediately say it was a horrible decision.

It's baffling that we did all 3 of those things in a year and a half span to completely tank this franchise's future.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Nothing to hide. You'll find me being quite angry about trading DJ Moore. Didn't think it was a good idea but tried to make sense of it by finding solace in the fact we would be drafting a QB who had what I thought was similar arm talent to Cam Newton in a kid by the name of CJ Stroud.

Of course we passed on him.

True in a decade I'm sure we will still be mad about it as Panthers fans..... I can't find a single positive thing about this team.

• Beer 1

Just now, Call Me James said:

I'm on record saying the trade wasn't good when we didn't recoup a 1st, but plenty huddles said that thinking was absurd and fitt got market value.

If we got a 1st we wouldn't be so doom and gloom right now.

Honestly none of it matters now as Panrhers fans we just have hope we get a real coach manage to draft/SIGN some legitimate playmakers and linemen.

An athletic C and a LT move ickey to guard maybe sign the indy reciver 

27 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The 2nd round pick went to Bryce, the 3rd and 4th rounder went to fuging DJ Johnson. That's not a haul

I thought it was more than fair for a injuried 16 mill per RB(btw still the highest, no RB has reset the market in 3 years).

Now what he did with the picks, super unfair early returns look hella bad. I hated both those trades. But Im 97% sure tepper force the trade for #1 and young. The other was rumored to be heavy evero input......

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

He was never perpetually banged up, 2 years in a row of getting hurt for a few weeks and then being shelved because you're a star player on a team already eliminated from the playoffs doesn't equate to being "perpetually banged up"

Again, the first year injury was a player falling on his ankle while trying to tackle him as he dragged the guy into the end zone and he got a high ankle from it.  I don't remember the injury the second year off the top of my head, but even if it was a non contact muscle pull, that would make it one time in his career, not an ongoing thing like it is with Horn or other actually injury prone players.

He's played in every game of the season in 5 of his 7 seasons in the league, but sure, he's perpetually banged up

Nothing against CMC personally but you can't call someone a star player and then shelve them with an 18 million dollar cap hit and still be a competive franchise. We should have gotten a better return value for him but CMC would not be saving our season here anyway. No one would even be talking about this still if we had drafted CJ Stroud.

On a CMC note, is he a HOF lock by the end of next season already?

Was just looking at it, he has 76 career TD's already, seems pretty safe to say he'll get to 90 by the end of next season, likely passing it by a fair amount (assuming health of course).

There's only 5 players with 90 or more career TDs and aren't either in the HOF already, or just aren't eligible but are for sure shoe-in's when the time comes.  Shaun Alexander, Ricky Watters, Priest Holmes, Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch probably has a fair shot at getting in.

CMC is better than any of those players, so I have to think there is a chance he already has his HOF jacket wrapped up by the end of next season, hell, he could get to 100 by then with the way he's racking up scores in SF at more than a 1 per game rate.

4 minutes ago, frankw said:

Nothing against CMC personally but you can't call someone a star player and then shelve them with an 18 million dollar cap hit and still be a competive franchise. We should have gotten a better return value for him but CMC would not be saving our season here anyway. No one would even be talking about this still if we had drafted CJ Stroud.

What?!?!  That's absolutely what you can do, especially given the situation we were in with those seasons.  Same reason people are saying the Vikings maybe shouldn't bring Jefferson back this year, same reason Rodgers won't come back to the Jets if they don't have a real playoff shot, even if ready.

We needed a long term solution at QB, we were already out of playoff contention and looking at a Top 10 pick.  

Playing CMC only increases our chances of winning meaningless games in the final month of the season while also putting him at further risk.  Sitting him was actually the competitive move, because you were playing for the better draft pick for a shot at a franchise QB.

Edited by tukafan21

Trading CMC was the right move. For us he was a Lamborghini sitting in front of a mobile home. He was a luxury that puts a complete team over the edge. On the Panthers he would have just squandered what was left of his good years on a failure of a team. The results of the pick haul didn't pan out, but we needed to take that shot. And if you were a CMC fan at all you should be happy he's gone somewhere he can flourish rather than being run into the ground by a team that was not a game-changing running back away from being confused with a competent franchise.

• Beer 2

10 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

What?!?!  That's absolutely what you can do, especially given the situation we were in with those seasons.  Same reason people are saying the Vikings maybe shouldn't bring Jefferson back this year, same reason Rodgers won't come back to the Jets if they don't have a real playoff shot, even if ready.

We needed a long term solution at QB, we were already out of playoff contention and looking at a Top 10 pick.  

Playing CMC only increases our chances of winning meaningless games in the final month of the season while also putting him at further risk.  Sitting him was actually the competitive move, because you were playing for the better draft pick for a shot at a franchise QB.

It's long spilled milk. Best to let go and move on.

We need to invest huge in our oline now. If we get that situated then from there we can establish a reasonably formidable run game with any decent running back and assess our QB situation.

50 minutes ago, BY9Franchise said:

Honestly none of it matters now as Panrhers fans we just have hope we get a real coach manage to draft/SIGN some legitimate playmakers and linemen.

An athletic C and a LT move ickey to guard maybe sign the indy reciver 

I think Reich was just a bad coach and I really haven't seen anyone grow on this team outside of Luvu.

Gonna watch the rest of the season and hope we can get some fair assessments on players heading into the offseason.