• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper's patience

AU-panther

There seems to be a lot of so called "fans" around here who seem to be going out of their way to make things seem as bad as possible to the outside world.  One narrative I'm seeing a lot of is that Tepper is impatient and doesn't give people time to do their job.

Let's try to look at facts here:

Was he too patient or impatient with Ron?

Was he too patient or impatient with Hurney?

Was he too patient or impatient with Rhule?

Was he too patient or impatient with Frank?

Was he too patient or impatient with Fitt?

• Poo 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know if it's a time issue as much as it's a meddling issue. If you don't give people the space and freedom to do their job it doesn't really matter how much time you give them.

maybe, but I think some of that is probably overblown to a degree.  You hear a few random reports from unnamed people that he is meddling and then next thing you know half the fan base thinks he is making every draft pick on his own.  

Having a weekly meeting with your HC asking him to explain why he is winless can be considered meddling by some.  Sitting in on meetings and asking people to explain their thought process can be considered meddling by some.  Telling your coaches and front office it's time to draft a QB can be considered meddling.

If anything, all of this talk about him meddling has kind of let the front office off the hook about a lot of questionable personnel decisions.

• Pie 1

Patience with someone's job status in the NFL isn't necessarily the same thing as having patience.

He pushed the front office and coaches to make moves to win immediately, instead of letting them build up a team the right way over a course of a number of years.  I don't even think that's a bad thing to have in an owner, love that he wants to win that badly.  But we need to have the staff and coaches in place who can and will push back on him when and where needed to do it right.  You don't win in the NFL through quick fixes, just doesn't work that way, too many moving parts.

The only way he gets a good HC or GM candidate to come here is if he GUARANTEES 2024 has no impact on his job status and they are allowed to replace Bryce with a QB of their choosing, and then GUARANTEES they get at least 2 seasons to prove themselves.

If you can somehow convince them of that, we could get a realistic candidate to come here, maybe some sort of poison pill clause in the contract that if Tepper doesn't hold up his end, the coach gets a $100 million payout on top of an already big contract.

It would let the HC/GM know they have 3 years to prove themselves, not to make decisions based on an immediate impact, but a year or two down the line.  They could then play Bryce all season to see if they think they can do anything with him and not be concerned about getting fired if they keep losing while ending up with a high draft pick for a new QB.

8 hours ago, AU-panther said:

There seems to be a lot of so called "fans" around here who seem to be going out of their way to make things seem as bad as possible to the outside world.  One narrative I'm seeing a lot of is that Tepper is impatient and doesn't give people time to do their job.

Let's try to look at facts here:

Was he too patient or impatient with Ron?

Was he too patient or impatient with Hurney?

Was he too patient or impatient with Rhule?

Was he too patient or impatient with Frank?

Was he too patient or impatient with Fitt?

Ron and Hurney should have left together, instead he held over Hurdog.

Rhule and Fitt should have left together, instead he kept Fitt. 

Now he got rid of Dinosaur Train, but seems like he is going to keep Fitt again because he will bow to his, Nicole's, and whoever else's bidding. 

Edited by PootieNunu

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't know if it's a time issue as much as it's a meddling issue. If you don't give people the space and freedom to do their job it doesn't really matter how much time you give them.

Meddling or not Ron, Rhule, and Reich were the wrong guys. The biggest issue about Tepper’s patience is how over eager he is to find his QB. Teddy, Darnold, Corral, Mayfield (honestly Baker’s trade was solid) the trade up for Young all cost us valuable resources and we still might not have it right. Outside of that he clearly has a hiring problem. He needs to just hire Colbert to oversee this next hiring process. 

• Pie 2

I am not sold on the impatient narrative.  He's been hiring the wrong guys and then rightfully firing them.  So we're on a roller coaster of crazy.

• He didn't get rid of Ron and Hurney together, or soon enough.  
  • He's not hiring the right people -- I.E. No Exec-GM, missing on Rhule, Reich, and it's looking like Fitterer as well
  • The Rock Hill disaster left a regional mark, more than football
  • He has also been way too hands-on & aggressive trying to find a QB.  This is putting pressure on the team every season to get it perfect at that position and it's creating crazy volatility.  Now, you've got a fanbase splintered on a #1 overall pick that crazy underperforming (yes, I know, the team is bad overall as well)

I don't care about soccer coaches or the timing of the firings.  Hire the right guys and you won't have to do that. 

Tepper doesn't appear to have a good shmuck/BS detector.  Combine that with not having an true guru to really run the operation Ozzie/Howie style, and you get the mayhem we've endured.  

He wants a lacky lap-dog like Fitt to fulfill his wishes.  He doesn't want to be idle and let someone run the ship while he's chilling.  He wants to be part of the build and it's a problem.  He can't just be a Lurie.   

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I feel like every single HC (except maybe Wilks) was given more than enough patience and each one deserved to be let go for various reasons.

I would rather we get rid of a guy we know isn't working than hold onto him waiting for him to get his poo together.

But before all that, I just wish we'd hire the right guy to begin with.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I feel like every single HC (except maybe Wilks) was given more than enough patience and each one deserved to be let go for various reasons.

I would rather we get rid of a guy we know isn't working than hold onto him waiting for him to get his poo together.

But before all that, I just wish we'd hire the right guy to begin with.

100%

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Patience without wisdom is kinda worthless.

If you don't know when to be patient and when not to, it doesn't matter.

And as far as wisdom, it's pretty clear that in the football realm, Tepper doesn't have it.