• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greg lobbies for the HC job

Tbe

As for Greg... honestly, he's always struck me as a smart, level headed guy. Which is why this is so bizarre to me. He should know full well he's nowhere close to being able to step into an NFL HC role. If he wants to coach in the NFL he needs to go be a TE coach. If he wants to be a HC, he needs to the HS level or maybe the minor college level. That's just reality. That's why it makes no sense for him. He has a nice cushy well paying media gig he'll have to walk away from to make a lot less money in a very unglamorous coaching role to get started. You don't get to just jump to the front of the line and get a NFL HC gig right out of the gate with no coaching experience, pill popping Irsay and an brief interim HC who wasn't really considered for the full-time role not withstanding.

I mean, is Greg just trying to get back at Tepper here? He was very open that he straight up got his feelings hurt by his release which I get. It's understandable even when you know the business side of the game. But honestly just trying to straight up steal money from Tepper is about the only thing that makes sense here.

I actually could see a scenario where Greg makes a lot of sense as our HC (although I'm not exactly advocating for it).  I also don't know if they could convince the coaches to buy into it either, but as a fan who isn't pleased with them firing Reich because of the level of HC I think we can get now, there is one scenario I wouldn't hate.

Basically Greg goes into the job knowing he's a 1 season filler to bridge us to the next offseason when we can attract a new HC, partially with our 1st rounder to replace Bryce.  The other half of it is that he's really there to provide a re-set to the franchise's mentality, which I think he actually would succeed at, on field success aside, especially as I think he'd bring guys like Luke or TD into the fold in some way as well.

Keep Evero and Brown as the DC and OC here as well, so he basically is more of a figurehead and leader of men than anything.

If we shock the world and he's some amazing HC, then you can give him another contract, but if not, it bridges the gap until we can attract a legitimate HC candidate and it would help get us back to the "Keep Pounding" mentality that this franchise has lost over the last few years.

Again, I'm not saying I want this, but if (or more accurately when) we can't get anyone we actually want, it wouldn't be the worst fall back situation in the world as it avoids hiring someone crappy and needing to fire them after 1 season again.

Basically what the Raiders are doing with Pierce right now, although he has actual coaching experience so it at least makes more sense.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 2

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

I actually could see a scenario where Greg makes a lot of sense as our HC (although I'm not exactly advocating for it).  I also don't know if they could convince the coaches to buy into it either, but as a fan who isn't pleased with them firing Reich because of the level of HC I think we can get now, there is one scenario I wouldn't hate.

Basically Greg goes into the job knowing he's a 1 season filler to bridge us to the next offseason when we can attract a new HC, partially with our 1st rounder to replace Bryce.  The other half of it is that he's really there to provide a re-set to the franchise's mentality, which I think he actually would succeed at, on field success aside, especially as I think he'd bring guys like Luke or TD into the fold in some way as well.

Keep Evero and Brown as the DC and OC here as well, so he basically is more of a figurehead and leader of men than anything.

If we shock the world and he's some amazing HC, then you can give him another contract, but if not, it bridges the gap until we can attract a legitimate HC candidate and it would help get us back to the "Keep Pounding" mentality that this franchise has lost over the last few years.

Again, I'm not saying I want this, but if (or more accurately when) we can't get anyone we actually want, it wouldn't be the worst fall back situation in the world as it avoids hiring someone crappy and needing to fire them after 1 season again.

Basically what the Raiders are doing with Pierce right now, although he has actual coaching experience so it at least makes more sense.

You cannot go into a season with an interim coach. That's absurd. No one is buying into that. You're guaranteeing another complete poo show. Pierce is an interim coach because they fired their coach. That's an entirely different situation. He's in the Steve Wilks chair right now. He's filling in with a locker room that already believes in him and are gonna give it their all for him.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You cannot go into a season with an interim coach. That's absurd. No one is buying into that. You're guaranteeing another complete poo show. Pierce is an interim coach because they fired their coach. That's an entirely different situation. He's in the Steve Wilks chair right now. He's filling in with a locker room that already believes in him and are gonna give it their all for him.

Well, I probably should have been more clear... it's only known that it's essentially a 1 year deal with the coaching staff.  That way if/when Greg is clearly not a long term solution, they can easily sell it as a mutual parting after the season that just didn't work out, so Tepper doesn't have to fire another coach for a 3rd straight season.

Basically just Greg trying to do his part to help fix the franchise and put them back on the right path before stepping aside to let a "real coach" take it the rest of the way.

Brown would/should be on board with it since nobody else is giving him an OC opportunity in 2024 after this mess, Evero would be the tougher sell to get on board as he could/would have other interest, but his best shot at an HC job in 2025 would be to stick with the same unit he coached this season to try and build upon a not horrible defense this year when we're hopefully healthier next season.

The alternative after we get turned down by all the HC candidates we actually would want, is hiring someone we don't want and then needing to fire them after the season because they're terrible anyways.

I'm just convinced we aren't getting anyone worth a damn to be willing to take this job on and tie themselves to Bryce, and it's why I was VERY against firing Reich until next season.  As hiring a crappy fallback HC who we then have to fire again is about the worst case scenario and only hinder the interest in the job again next offseason.

Next season with Bryce and a 3rd rate HC is already a lost season before this one is even over, might as well at least bring in someone who loves the franchise and is someone who can be a leader of men like a Dan Campbell (essentially since I think we'll end up with Bienemy, who is the literal opposite of a leader of men, his players hate playing for him).

Edited by tukafan21

5 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Well, I probably should have been more clear... it's only known that it's essentially a 1 year deal with the coaching staff.  That way if/when Greg is clearly not a long term solution, they can easily sell it as a mutual parting after the season that just didn't work out, so Tepper doesn't have to fire another coach for a 3rd straight season.

Basically just Greg trying to do his part to help fix the franchise and put them back on the right path before stepping aside to let a "real coach" take it the rest of the way.

Brown would/should be on board with it since nobody else is giving him an OC opportunity in 2024 after this mess, Evero would be the tougher sell to get on board as he could/would have other interest, but his best shot at an HC job in 2025 would be to stick with the same unit he coached this season to try and build upon a not horrible defense this year when we're hopefully healthier next season.

The alternative after we get turned down by all the HC candidates we actually would want, is hiring someone we don't want and then needing to fire them after the season because they're terrible anyways.

I'm just convinced we aren't getting anyone worth a damn to be willing to take this job on and tie themselves to Bryce, and it's why I was VERY against firing Reich until next season.  As hiring a crappy fallback HC who we then have to fire again is about the worst case scenario and only hinder the interest in the job again next offseason.

Next season with Bryce and a 3rd rate HC is already a lost season before this one is even over, might as well at least bring in someone who loves the franchise and is someone who can be a leader of men like a Dan Campbell (essentially since I think we'll end up with Bienemy, who is the literal opposite of a leader of men, his players hate playing for him).

So why as an assistant coach would you agree to this? What an awful situation to be in.

How is this situation going to create a more favorable situation for HC candidates after another year in which you're once again looking for a new HC after one year?

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So why as an assistant coach would you agree to this? What an awful situation to be in.

How is this situation going to create a more favorable situation for HC candidates after another year in which you're once again looking for a new HC after one year?

Brown would go for it because nobody else is giving him an OC job in 2024, not after how this year went, he'll have to take a step backwards next year.  So for him, I think it's a no brainer to get another chance at being OC in 2024 and see if he can show anything.

Evero would be tougher to sell, but at the same time, he's not getting a HC job in 2024, so if the option is having to be a DC for a 3rd team in 3 years, or keep the same players and system he had this year that has been decent with mostly backups and hope they can stay healthy in 2024... the later seems like a better path for him to get an HC opportunity in 2025.

It would be more favorable for finding a new HC because even if we kept losing because Bryce is awful, there at least will be more of a fight in the players with someone like Greg leading them.  He'll instill a sense of confidence back into the players and franchise, even if the wins aren't there, similar to what Dan Campbell did in his first year with the Lions when they only won 3 games.

And since in this scenario, Greg is taking it knowing it's a 1 year job unless we somehow have an amazing season, him stepping down because it's not working (which is what he'd have to agree to ahead of time in this scenario to get the job) is VERY different than if Tepper fires someone for the 3rd year in a row.  We then have our Top 5 draft pick to entice a good HC candidate to come in and use to replace Bryce with the QB of their choice, while the franchise as a whole is just in a better mental state than they are right now.

Again.... I'm not advocating for this and I don't think it will happen... but if the alternative is settling for say, Eric Bienemy, who will only make the locker room worse over 2024 because the players will hate playing for him, and then Tepper has to fire him after 1 year... I'll take this Greg scenario I've laid out 100 times out of 99 over the Bienemy one.

Seriously, if we end up with Bienemy, people are going to long for the times like right now, when we realize we were nowhere near rock bottom compared to this time next year when the players are openly complaining about Bienemy being a POS.  There is a reason he's never gotten that HC job before now, and it sure as hell isn't the color of his skin, it's because nobody likes him, he couldn't even get along with Mahomes.

Edited by tukafan21