• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tank vs Mingo

AceBoogie

2 hours ago, frankw said:

That's a good start sir kudos to you.

But do you or others see the inconsistency in declaring Mingo was the wrong pick in only 11 career games while arguing there's no way we can definitively judge Bryce Young who is operating within the same set of unfortunate circumstances?

I'd like to see both with different coaching and go from there. In the meantime if either or both play poorly call it like you see it on a game by game basis and hope for improvement along the way. Seems pretty straightforward rather than spending every week digging in on the same defenses and firing off haymakers at each other for expressing concerns.

First order of business. Don't look like poo against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

This is what i have been saying all along. They can tell us how much of a lazy route runner mingo is over and over but bryce dropping back in the pocket like a sloth is not his fault. The playcalling is horrible but the bad routes are on the receivers? The Inconsistency in these takes are over 9000. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

This is what i have been saying all along. They can tell us how much of a lazy route runner mingo is over and over but bryce dropping back in the pocket like a sloth is not his fault. The playcalling is horrible but the bad routes are on the receivers? The Inconsistency in these takes are over 9000. 

Yeah there can be multiple things true at one time. The oline has been bad and the receivers have had some costly drops especially guys like TMJ doing his best Dwayne Jarrett impression.

But the job of the oline has been made more difficult by both the scheme and the limitations of Bryce Young so far in this offense with the lack of play action the lack of snaps from under center and Bryce Young himself. We have to acknowledge some of this is only exacerbating our oline problems.

Then you have the lack of any semblance of a downfield connection and you can see defenders just sitting on short routes reading Bryce Young's eyes. It's all bad.

All that's left is to hope a reset with Reich exiting the picture will help. But on the flip side of that the fact that the Panther PR is arguing that firing McCown is supposed to help Bryce because he's supposedly had too many people in his ear doesn't jive with what we were sold in April and the weeks leading up because he was supposed to be the most pro ready and coachable of the draft class.

Ignoring the Bryce sidebars...

It's Mingo vs. the rest of the class for me.

Bigger issue is that we clearly were in need of a different type of receiver and there were more than a few that fit the bill in the draft.  We need someone with good route running skills, enough speed, to get open early and a guy you can slide outside and the slot.  Ideally, someone who had been high enough volume/experienced enough in school to translate more effectively.  

It's not just Dell.  Reed, Downs, Rice, Mims, Wilson, Douglas, Palmer.. there were good options. 

Something I've stayed fixed on (bc my second round faves are looking good)--there were some legit non-WRs that just seemed like such more sure things.  Tuli & JuJu Brents come to mind. Merp.  

• Pie 2

On 12/1/2023 at 9:59 AM, AceBoogie said:

Look I get it. Stroud and Young will be linked for the entirety of their careers. Stroud looks like the best rookie in a decade and Young has struggled in an offense devoid of talent. 

A lot of people here like to say I’m coping with my defense of young. I, like most rational people, just refuse to grade him until the situation around him improves. It is fair to say that he’s been underwhelming and has not elevated the team around him like he should be expected to do as a #1 overall pick. 

I would like us to move beyond the QBs for a moment. We took a WR in the 2nd round. The Texans took one in the 3rd. Just like Stroud vs Young, Mingo and Tank also appear as if we made the wrong decision there. 

Tank was a highly productive WR in college and Mingo appears to be a jag. Fast forward to the NFL and Tank’s production is showing up again, while Mingo again looks like a jag. You can blame Young for this, you can blame Frank, but that’s just what it is. 

I’m sure you can point out choices like this all over our roster. Fitt just simply hasn’t been able to build a roster that can compete with any consistency. Hopefully we move on from him in the offseason as well. 

Can't be. When I told everyone that we needed to draft Stroud, no we can't because some ridiculous test he scored a 3 out of 40 and Bryce was brilliant. Then everyone saw the Stroud workout and we still drafted the wrong guy. Then I said don't draft Mingo. He isn't the AJ Brown Metcalf guy folks kept saying he was. He doesn't like contact and is just an average WR. Was told again no he's going to be dynamic. If I could see it, why didn't the Front Office? The GM to the scouts should all be fired