• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line Is Main Priority

restNChrist

2 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

QB is our biggest need, followed by interior line. Young is putting the line in bad spots and making them look worse than they are with sloppy footwork, an inconsistent drop back, holding the ball, not being able to throw over the line when they get pushed back, scrambling too often, not throwing the ball away; hes honestly a nightmare to protect. That’s why the Russini report focused on Young’s footwork. This is more or less the same line we had last year. Do you really think they regressed this much? Or do you think the QB change caused it? Let’s be honest. 

Interior line is an easy fix if you move Ickey inside, get Corbett or Christensen healthy again on the right and adjust the scheme issues.

The downside of course, as mentioned, is that leaves us needing a left tackle.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I's agree he holds onto the ball too long, though to be fair there are plenty of times when nobody is open.

That's another thing that needs fixed, probably even more so than the line.

It's a clusterfudge, and nobody is blameless here.

I will add this though, our receivers have been NFL-open plenty of times, but Young's arm strength and ball placement haven't been good enough to hit his targets. His timing is putrid, probably because his footwork is absolutely horrendous. He also hasn't demonstrated enough anticipation, nor has he shown he's capable of throwing receivers open.

Bryce is simply not as advertised. He ain't remotely NFL ready. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I really wouldn't care if they blew up the entire unit if there was a decent plan inplace and decent people to make it happen. Trade, cut or keep as long as they really fit the system moving forward.

None of the staff should be carrying over so just run a mauler system the rest of the year and begin the transition to the new system once these people are tossed out.

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The OL personnel aren't the problem. They were arguably the best line we'd had last year.

The offense was changed to a zone blocking scheme that didn't fit their skill set, especially from center left. Corbett and Moton could do it. If he were healthy, Christensen could probably do it. Everybody else? Not so much.

The only thing I'd recommend with the O-Line is to move Ekwonu inside to left guard. He's much better suited there for going to keep a pass heavy scheme like this. Also more ideal to have a really strong interior line if you have a shorter quarterback.

Yes, that'd leave us needing a left tackle (again) unless the team believes Christensen can handle that job.

I’d like to see us pursue David Bakhtiari out of Green Bay in FA as his future there looks to be in doubt. At 32 he’s got enough experience and familiarity with Campen (if he’s still here) to man the LT spot for a few years. This way we can move Ickey to LG and search for a viable replacement @ LT in the upcoming draft.

At this point Christensen is a good backup and provides OL depth. Not sure what we should do with Bozeman.

Edited by Prowler2k18

2 minutes ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

It's a clusterfudge, and nobody is blameless here.

I will add this though, our receivers have been NFL-open plenty of times, but Young's arm strength and ball placement haven't been good enough to hit his targets. His timing is putrid, probably because his footwork is absolutely horrendous. He also hasn't demonstrated enough anticipation, nor has he shown he's capable of throwing receivers open.

Bryce is simply not as advertised. He ain't remotely NFL ready. 

It's been said that he doesn't yet recognize "NFL open" vs college open (or Alabama open). That's a known issue.

Seriously doubt he'd be flat out replaced next season though. I expect he gets at least one more year.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I’d like to see us pursue David Bakhtiari out of Green Bay in FA as his future there looks to be in doubt. At 32 he’s got enough experience and familiarity with Campen (if he’s still here) to man the LT spot for a few years. This way we can move Ickey to LG and search for a viable replacement @ LT in the upcoming draft. At this point Christensen is a good backup and provides OL depth. 

Will Campen still be here though? 🤔

I don't know how well Bakhtiari can stay healthy anymore ,but generally speaking I'd agree if we get a new left tackle next season, it'll probably be an older veteran stopgap (like we did a few years back).

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I really wouldn't care if they blew up the entire unit if there was a decent plan inplace and decent people to make it happen. Trade, cut or keep as long as they really fit the system moving forward.

None of the staff should be carrying over so just run a mauler system the rest of the year and begin the transition to the new system once these people are tossed out.

I would, for a specific reason...

That's a lot of roster work in an offseason where we already have a lot of roster work to do.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Interior line is an easy fix if you move Ickey inside, get Corbett or Christensen healthy again on the right and adjust the scheme issues.

The downside of course, as mentioned, is that leaves us needing a left tackle.

We need a LT when Ickey is playing LT. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Conceivably creates another "bird" though depending on what you do with left tackle.

I agree but Ickey's strengths don't quite fit there, I think we can come to this conclusion now. We need a more technical guy outside, unless there's some big change in the next few games I think that's the path forward.