• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Tepper wants Ben Johnson

TheSpecialJuan

17 minutes ago, Peon Awesome said:

This is an argument that bears out theoretically but not in reality. There's a reason guaranteed money is such a big deal. In your worst case scenario, Johnson gets $80 million for 1 year of work. He gets fired and either retires comfortably for the rest of his life if he wants or picks up a premium offensive coordinator position immediately if he wants to keep working.

Or he can make half that money working in a position where 1/4 of the coaches get fired every year and coaches staying with the same team for more than 8 years is increasingly rare. Where best case scenario, he works 10 years to make what he made in 1 year in scenario 1, which is already more than he would spend in his lifetime.

Your argument makes sense from an outside perspective.

These coaches are just like the players, they have the mentality that they are great at what they do and they aren't going to fail, particularly if you give them the right players.

Look what he's done with Goff, you give him someone like Herbert in LA, and he's going to 100% believe he can be successful.

It's not like he'd be making peanuts by taking that job compared to ours either.  He'll take the 40 million over the 80 in your scenario and bet on himself that he's going to succeed and get a second contract and long HC career, 100 out of 100 times.

Also... your logic is flawed, as he won't have to work 10 years to make what he'd make in 1 year.  First being if we land someone like Johnson, there's no scenario that he's fired after year 1 and likely no scenario that he's fired after year 2 either.  

Second, he doesn't get all that money right when he'd be fired, it's still payed out over the length of the contract.  So even if we use your argument that the got fired here after 1 year, he's still getting paid annually, same as if he's coaching another team.  So realistically your argument would be that he'd have to work an extra 4-5 years after his 1st contract to make up the difference that he'd have made here.

Again, it's about whether he wants to bet on himself to be successful as a HC, if he thinks he'll be successful elsewhere, it's not a big bet to go that route over taking the early money here knowing he'll have a much lower chance at success given the state of this roster/franchise.

On 12/16/2023 at 2:18 PM, Castavar said:

Hmm, let's see.....

Option 1 - Go to Chargers with an already established franchise QB and weapons with very good players on defense.

Option 2 - Bet your coaching career with a potential bust of a QB, no weapons, no draft picks, and a meddling owner.

That sure is a hard one.

Chargers are 40 million over

• Pie 1

I made a post on this earlier today. I have a hard time seeing Johnson coming to the Panthers for his first HC job regardless of money. If the kid is as smart as everyone thinks he is, he will go somewhere with a more patient front office and a few key pieces already on the roster. I don't imagine he ties his reputation to Tepper (and maybe still Fitterer's) dysfunction so early in his career.

Furthermore, do you expect a 37 year old first time HC to stand up to Tepper and fix this culture? That's a big expectation for anyone. 

Ben Johnson, OC- Detroit Lions

The 37-year-old play caller seems to be the fan favorite- but is also one of the top candidates in a cycle that Adam Schefter reports there could be 7-10 HC openings. After the article from The Athletic, I imagine there will be much more desirable places that contain much less “dysfunction” than Carolina. It is argued that Johnson who was born in Charleston, SC and raised in Asheville, NC may elect to return home. Johnson was a walk on QB at UNC before becoming a graduate Assistant for Boston College. Personally, I don’t find that argument that strong for a guy so early in his career. I don’t think he would turn down a better organization with a better roster and front office leadership to come back “home”. He has obviously not cared about living in Miami and Detroit as he has built his career thus far.

After his time at Boston College he was hired by the Miami Dolphins in 2012 as analyst. He would serve in many different position coach roles under HC Joe Philbin, Interim HC Dan Campbell, and HC Adam Gase. He would not be retained in Miami after Gase’s staff was let go in 2018. The following year he would be brought into Detroit by Matt Patricia as a QC Coach. He would be retained by Dan Campbell in 2021 as Passing Game Coordinator after Patricia’s firing. In 2022, he would officially become the Offensive Coordinator. In 2022, Detroit would finish 4th in total offense and are currently 3rd in the NFL in total offense as of Week 15.

Personally, I think Johnson would be a perfect fit somewhere like LA or Seattle (should Caroll retire). Both have rosters that have many key pieces that are lacking in Carolina. Neither owner is known for being impatient and the same can’t be said for the owner of the football team in Charlotte. I think Johnson has a bright future and he knows that. He will have plenty of options this offseason and I don’t see Carolina near the top of his list.

Is Johnson all hype or is he the real deal?