• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there a game today GameDay thread

Zod

3 hours ago, KeptPounding89 said:

It’s also funny how the Panthers won today and there’s next to no engagement on the site. Normally after a loss I’d come here and see post after post ready to blame Bryce, Tepper, and the coaching staff. Tonight there’s little to no talk about anything, which tells me the most active posters on here have an agenda and if there’s nothing to feed of of them they choose to ignore it. Quite ironic. 

Why would there be? The Falcons gifted this game, Bryce and the offense were pathetic for 50 minutes of the day, and one win doesn't change nearly a decade of crap team management nor the brutally dim prospects of the very near future. There is no agenda - this is truly a reflection of where even maybe hardcore fans are at. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, KSpan said:

Why would there be? The Falcons gifted this game, Bryce and the offense were pathetic for 50 minutes of the day, and one win doesn't change nearly a decade of crap team management nor the brutally dim prospects of the very near future. There is no agenda - this is truly a reflection of where even maybe hardcore fans are at. 

It was a deluge and he completed 75% of his passes. Not really a game  of his to be complaining about 

3 hours ago, csx said:

It was a deluge and he completed 75% of his passes. Not really a game  of his to be complaining about 

The first 50 minutes were atrocious - that is certainly eligible for critique. Prior to that last drive the team was something like 2-12 on third down and Bryce had barely over 100 yards passing. As I said before, most of those throws on the last drive were NFL minimum at best and were still low quality, and had Atlanta not inexplicably gone into prevent and turned off the pressure (DL clearly went into contain mode) this isn't even a discussion. It took a team reverting to playing no actual defense for this to happen... I just don't understand the praise. He and the offense have been so bad this year that the bar has fallen so far to make this level of play seem impressive. 

Hell, Ridder only three for 15 fewer yards but had a TD. If not for that awful interception he had a better day than Bryce, or at least as good, but folks seems happy to roast him.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

10 minutes ago, KSpan said:

The first 50 minutes were atrocious - that is certainly eligible for critique. Prior to that last drive the team was something like 2-12 on third down and Bryce had barely over 100 yards passing. As I said before, most of those throws on the last drive were NFL minimum at best and were still low quality, and had Atlanta not inexplicably gone into prevent and turned off the pressure (DL clearly went into contain mode) this isn't even a discussion. It took a team reverting to playing no actual defense for this to happen... I just don't understand the praise. He and the offense have been so bad this year that the bar has fallen so far to make this level of play seem impressive. 

Hell, Ridder only three for 15 fewer yards but had a TD. If not for that awful interception he had a better day than Bryce, or at least as good, but folks seems happy to roast him.

Same thing for the Texans game.  Final drive, prevent defense and they give Bryce his underneath throws.  We can't rely on a near perfect day for the defense and Eddy not to miss a kick for a victory every game. It just isn't realistic.

Crazy thing is if Eddy had missed both the Texans' kick and the one yesterday, we'd 0-14 and he'd be 100% cut.  Meanwhile, the hopium huffers are doing victory laps while crowning Young.

48 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Same thing for the Texans game.  Final drive, prevent defense and they give Bryce his underneath throws.  We can't rely on a near perfect day for the defense and Eddy not to miss a kick for a victory every game. It just isn't realistic.

Crazy thing is if Eddy had missed both the Texans' kick and the one yesterday, we'd 0-14 and he'd be 100% cut.  Meanwhile, the hopium huffers are doing victory laps while crowning Young.

Eddy made the kicks and the games turned out how they did, so that is what it is. It is not speculation though to recognize how defensive decisions accommodated those final drives, and while the offense can only play against the defenses on the field it always confuses me when teams stray from defensive strategies that have worked for an entire game in favor of the prevent. At least find a middle-ground or something, but don't suddenly just let a QB hang out, especially with how bad the Panthers receivers are. It's about the only fomrula that would allow them to score and yet Arthur Smith did it anyway. 

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

You expect a kicker to make a cheap shot like yesterday tho. I'll agree on relying on the D. I think being disappointed in the offense but happy with the final drive itself is reasonable.

Calling Young's throws on that final drive underneath throws is a bit wild tho.  He had 3 deep throws that drive for like 60 yards... Amusingly probably his three longest completions all day...

12 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

You expect a kicker to make a cheap shot like yesterday tho. I'll agree on relying on the D. I think being disappointed in the offense but happy with the final drive itself is reasonable.

Calling Young's throws on that final drive underneath throws is a bit wild tho.  He had 3 deep throws that drive for like 60 yards... Amusingly probably his three longest completions all day...

Passes of 18, 19 and 20.  Correct like 60 yards, but it's a sad state of affairs when 15-20 yard passes are considered deep throws.  Granted, they aren't check down throws, but Falcons got passive on their pressures on the last drive, so no need for dump offs to the hot read.

18 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Yeah but they were 20-yard, 19-yard and 19-yard screens behind the line of scrimmage in garbage time against a team running Prevent defense with a 1-point lead.

#HuddleLogic

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Passes of 18, 19 and 20.  Correct like 60 yards, but it's a sad state of affairs when 15-20 yard passes are considered deep throws.  Granted, they aren't check down throws, but Falcons got passive on their pressures on the last drive, so no need for dump offs to the hot read.

In ANY offense, 18, 19, and 20 yards are deep throws... That's just what they are... If Young hit those throws more consistently, I'd be more hopeful.  As it is, he's only had a few drives where he completes passes like that more than once.

I do not think that drive was a prevent defense  btw.  I am pretty sure they rushed 4 or 5  every play... I'd have to re-watch it tho.

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

10 defenders within 5 yards of the LOS is a weird Prevent.

Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 11.59.27 AM.png

Yeahhh... I don't remember feeling like the Falcons had gone full prevent.

100% honest it feels like some posters are unable to allow any praise at all for some players. There's very little good from Young this year, but like it or not, he's had a few really good drives.

• Pie 4