• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there a game today GameDay thread

Zod

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That doesn't require being in prevent.

Hell, we used to have two man rushes called back when we had Eric Washington running the defense.

Attempt to split hairs if you want, but the fact remains. Zero pressure, zero attempt to get pressure.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You gotta have more than one play to prove that argument.

It has to be consistent for the entire series.

I posted the rest, and no, no it doesn't. The fact they were doing it at all is ridiculous and incredibly stupid but it's there.

Edited by KSpan

8 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I posted the rest, and no, no it doesn't. The fact they were doing it at all is ridiculous and incredibly stupid but it's there.

Even in your brief highlight clips there is pressure off the edge on the quick pass to Sanders. You just don’t know what prevent defense is apparently. That makes me feel better than you thinking a team would actually run it in that situation. Also we had decent pass blocking from Jackson when he was playing RG as shown by PFF. Just because Young actually has 2 seconds to throw on some 4 man rushes doesn’t mean the Falcons were in prevent. Hell we were running the ball as much as we were passing. Prevent would have been the dumbest call by their DC in that situation. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You gotta have more than one play to prove that argument.

It has to be consistent for the entire series.

They had 10 in the box with 1 deep in @Carl Spackler’s photos.  He thinks rushing 4 is prevent when it’s just base without a blitz. It’s why our offense produced longer passes on that drive vs check downs like they would vs a really dumb prevent defense with 5 minutes left down by 1…

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Even in your brief highlight clips there is pressure off the edge on the quick pass to Sanders. You just don’t know what prevent defense is apparently. That makes me feel better than you thinking a team would actually run it in that situation. Also we had decent pass blocking from Jackson when he was playing RG as shown by PFF. Just because Young actually has 2 seconds to throw on some 4 man rushes doesn’t mean the Falcons were in prevent. Hell we were running the ball as much as we were passing. Prevent would have been the dumbest call by their DC in that situation. 

I specifically said somewhere that they went back to standard rushing once Carolina got deep into Atlanta territory. And whether you agree with my use of prevent or not, it doesn't change the fact that they were not applying pressure and were not in difficult coverage.

Just give it up already.

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

They had 10 in the box with 1 deep in @Carl Spackler’s photos.  He thinks rushing 4 is prevent when it’s just base without a blitz. It’s why our offense produced longer passes on that drive vs check downs like they would vs a really dumb prevent defense with 5 minutes left down by 1…

Just keep on ignoring it... keep right on. Not aggressively rushing the passer, which they were clearly doing at the start of the drive, is effectively similar.

Edited by KSpan

7 hours ago, KSpan said:

Just keep on ignoring it... keep right on. Not aggressively rushing the passer, which they were clearly doing at the start of the drive, is effectively similar.

So because you feel the defensive line doesn’t look as aggressive at the end of the of the game in the pouring rain that it some how makes it a prevent defense? You know defenses get tired right? Just because we actually had a pocket for 2 seconds doesn’t make it a prevent defense. Especially when 10 defenders are in the box. You are desperate for an excuse and this one isn’t it. 

• Pie 2

Why is there this much discussion about the Falcons defense? In the end you give credit to our QB for navigating the final drive. That's what he was supposed to do.

Unfortunately on the flip side of that you have to acknowledge we also played a team with a starting QB who led his team to only 7 points and had a game sealing interception in our territory to finish with a 15.5 QBR. On our end we're lucky if we visit the end zone once per game. And despite Desmond Ridder being a "two pack of ass" the sad reality is our QB still finished with a lower YPA than him despite 4 more attempts.

Let's enjoy the week without a loss but be realistic going forward.

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Why is there this much discussion about the Falcons defense? In the end you give credit to our QB for navigating the final drive. That's what he was supposed to do.

Unfortunately on the flip side of that you have to acknowledge we also played a team with a starting QB who led his team to only 7 points and had a game sealing interception in our territory to finish with a 15.5 QBR. On our end we're lucky if we visit the end zone once per game. And despite Desmond Ridder being a "two pack of ass" the sad reality is our QB still finished with a lower YPA than him despite 4 more attempts.

Let's enjoy the week without a loss but be realistic going forward.

Like I said there are plenty of things to critique Young for. There is no need to fabricate any additional ones. To think any professional DC would go into prevent against us in that situation is just bizarre. We wore out a defense on the road in terrible conditions from a 6-8 team. It’s nothing to brag about but it’s something in the right direction. It’s a win and those are rare right now. Plus it’s a Falcons loss which is always a reason to celebrate. 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Understood, but again "incredibly stupid" doesn't necessarily equal "prevent". Sometimes it's just 'incredibly stupid".

I said prevent/contain, referring to the pass rush. It's pretty clearly man defense with safeties over the top but even then prevent is a concept moreso than an actual formation and refers to just wanting to avoid big plays. My words are being heavily twisted by a few folks.

Edited by KSpan

On 12/18/2023 at 9:50 AM, KSpan said:

The first 50 minutes were atrocious - that is certainly eligible for critique. Prior to that last drive the team was something like 2-12 on third down and Bryce had barely over 100 yards passing. As I said before, most of those throws on the last drive were NFL minimum at best and were still low quality, and had Atlanta not inexplicably gone into prevent and turned off the pressure (DL clearly went into contain mode) this isn't even a discussion. It took a team reverting to playing no actual defense for this to happen... I just don't understand the praise. He and the offense have been so bad this year that the bar has fallen so far to make this level of play seem impressive. 

Hell, Ridder only three for 15 fewer yards but had a TD. If not for that awful interception he had a better day than Bryce, or at least as good, but folks seems happy to roast him.

Atlanta “went into prevent AND turned off the pressure (with the DL).” The first part of your sentence states they went into prevent. Another poster responded stating the Texans did the same “allowing underneath passes” which is a prevent defense. If you are changing it to rushing 4 sometimes 5 and man coverage then that makes way more sense.