• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Final Drive

Seltzer

2 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

Drew brees looked awful after 3 seasons. Look man trajectory of qbs not all the same, its just too early. He could end up really good behind a stout oline. Its just your opinion I respect it but theres still a chance for him for sure 

image.png.4c0b9010d6b4b6101f6edb79ba5e060d.png

Brees was bigger first off.  His second season he missed games due to injury. Outside of picks, which are normally high for young QBs, his stats are well ahead of Young's in his first season starting.  Brees also got picked from Perdue which is not a football powerhouse.  He got drafted on his merit despite not having the 5-star blue chippers throughout the whole roster like 'Bama.

• Pie 1

15 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

And man honestly I think saying he lacks arm strength is nonsense. That throw he made last week to Mingo stepping back to his left where he overshot Mingo showed excellent arm strength. 

nah, he clearly doesn't have the type NFL arm you generally look for.   There flat out are throws he can't make.  I mean he technically can attempt them but the ball isn't going to get there in time.   Or he is taking as sack because he can't just flick it out there and needs to put his body positioned behind a lot of throws. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

Drew brees looked awful after 3 seasons. Look man trajectory of qbs not all the same, its just too early. He could end up really good behind a stout oline. Its just your opinion I respect it but theres still a chance for him for sure 

Brees did not look 'awful' his first years, and with respect to this discussion about Bryce you could still tell that the physicla tools were there regardles of how he was playing. That is Bryce's biggest issue - the tools aren't there, and it's a very, very slim chance that his physical traits like arm strength appreciably increase from where they are now.

Bryce's arm looks exactly how it did in college, but the NFL is faster than things were in college. I'm open to being shown a QB whose arm strength increased notably form college to the NFL, as I can't think of one. Unless that somehow Bryce's ceiling will always be capped and based on what he's showing this year the 'processing' and other intangible items are not as advertised either.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

image.png.4c0b9010d6b4b6101f6edb79ba5e060d.png

Brees was bigger first off.  His second season he missed games due to injury. Outside of picks, which are normally high for young QBs, his stats are well ahead of Young's in his first season starting.  Brees also got picked from Perdue which is not a football powerhouse.  He got drafted on his merit despite not having the 5-star blue chippers throughout the whole roster like 'Bama.

And in the early 2000s before the rule changes really benefitted the offense - I think that's something that really gets lost when people atrtempt to compare rookie years from guys that played 20+ years ago. Bryce has all of those benefits and still looks as poor as he does.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Frank9999 said:

I just dont agree with this man, but whatever 

I mean, I just don't see how anyone can argue Bryce doesn't have a weak arm by NFL standards.   You could argue you don't need a strong arm and can still get it done.   Which you can.  But Bryce Young flat out can not make the throws other QBs can.   Which is going to limit him/us.  I think that is undeniable if you watch him.  Some plays if they are there.....aren't.  Because he can't get the ball there. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

I don't think Bryce has a strong arm but his problem is footwork more than arm strength imo. And his height exacerbates that. 

Also overthrowing someone isn't evidence of a strong arm. 

I don't think Bryce has a weaker arm than Tua for instance, but Tua has better footwork.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Frank9999 said:

We would be more of an epic joke to move on from Bryce after one dud season after how much conviction and how much we invested. Whether you guys like it or not hes here for prob at least 3 seasons 

We arent moving on from bryce after 1 year and with no first rounder.  No rational poster thinks this is a reasonable scenario.  However there are a lot of posters that see how this movie ends and it aint pretty.  I think he gets next year and then the new FO and coach have a huge decision to make.   Even as it stands now, especially after watching him yesterday, I cannot imagine there will be many coaches interested in this job knowing you are tethered to Young for even 1 year, now if you are saying he has to be out guy through year 3 thats going to turn off any hot coaching candidate

• Pie 3

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We arent moving on from bryce after 1 year and with no first rounder.  No rational poster thinks this is a reasonable scenario.  However there are a lot of posters that see how this movie ends and it aint pretty.  I think he gets next year and then the new FO and coach have a huge decision to make.   Even as it stands now, especially after watching him yesterday, I cannot imagine there will be many coaches interested in this job knowing you are tethered to Young for even 1 year, now if you are saying he has to be out guy through year 3 thats going to turn off any hot coaching candidate

I do however think we should bring in some type of competition. Young should be able to show enough growth to win the job over someone like Minshew (just an example). I don’t think he should be handed the role as a starter. Hopefully he improves a lot over the offseason and takes and runs with the job next year. I just don’t see it, but hopefully I’m really wrong on this one.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

image.png.8e4caf264fc223a2212725dd674e38c0.png

A QBR a tic above Zack Wilson for last place.  How many of those guys showed potential beyond year 1?  Maybe Jones and Fields, but they still are struggling. Point being, people who have watched this game nearly their entire lives can see the potential in most players, especially at the QB position since it's so hyper-focused upon.  People can say stats lie, and while true, generally those are cherry picked or flawed raw data.  In this instance, QBR is applied to all qualifying QBs in the NFL.  This is not a cherry picked stat and I'm nearly certain the raw data is solid.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't think Bryce has a strong arm but his problem is footwork more than arm strength imo. And his height exacerbates that. 

Also overthrowing someone isn't evidence of a strong arm. 

I don't think Bryce has a weaker arm than Tua for instance, but Tua has better footwork.

When he has a pocket and his feet are planted you get throws like that Chark throw. I think you are spot on about his being his footwork. 

• Pie 1