• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is our defense overated?

AU-panther

Personally, I'm bit all that impressed with our defense. I don't like the way it corners play. They play scared, Reactive. They are seldom ever are between the ball and the receiver but making the tackle after the catch. The idea is to prevent the catch. I do like the way D Brown and Luvu are playing, there's whither DT but I know his name, he played well. 

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I think Evero has done a lot with a little.  The defense has kept us in most games, and did so without much of a pass rush, and with a lot of injuries.  And with very little help from the offense.  

One of the greatest coaching jobs in franchise history.  Defense has had almost as many devastating injuries as the offense and Evero has kept them balling.

They would be getting a lot more respect if the offense did their part (the points given up too are out-of-whack relative to how good they've been overall b/c the offense has constantly put them in bad situations).

• Pie 1

Our defense is admirable for its short comings. They are not game changing enough to be considered anything more than middle of the pack. Is that because of injuries, scheme, or personnel? We may never know for sure because I do not feel anyone from this defensive staff will be retained to fully realize Eve's potential. 

9 hours ago, 45catfan said:

The reason were are #3 in yards and 29th in points is because of turnovers and losing the field position battle due to our offense's ineptitude...it's as simple as that.

Basically, if the opposing teams have a short field and score, then it doesn't require racking up a lot of yardage in order to get that score.

I would take those stats flip-flopped any day of the week, BTW.

we have some of the fewest turnovers in the league but let's don't use facts.

2023 NFL Turnover Differential | The Football Database (footballdb.com)

Defensive rankings always have a weird skew.

I have noticed in years past, the "#1 ranked pass defense" is always repeated over and over again, but is usually misleading because the "#1 ranked pass defense" is usually #1 because they are ranked dead last in rush defense. Of course a defensive will given up the least amount of passing yards and least passing TDs when an offense can just run all over them rushing.

Also, its hard to determine exactly how good a defense is if the offense is constantly putting them in bad yard situations and the offense turning the ball over really gases the defense having to run back out on the field.