• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce was allegedly yelled at by Bozeman...

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Correct. But he was presented to us as this extremely articulate mature genius who was well beyond his years. That’s clearly not the case. 

A mature S2 super-processor who is "poised" around the dinner table and who possesses great arm 'elasticity' and is able to make accurate off-platform throws. 

Yeah, and I've been waiting for cars that run on water since the 1970s.

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

28 minutes ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

The point I was making, as you also rightly pointed out, is that our receivers aren't the bottom dwellers many Bryce fanboys are making them out to be

According to ESPN analytics our receivers are bad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34649390/espn-receiver-tracking-metrics-how-new-nfl-stats-work-open-catch-yac-scores

https://espnanalytics.com/rtm/

It’s fair to wonder how much of that is scheme versus talent but it matches the eye test. Thielen is 35th in open score, by far the highest ranking Panther. Hurst is 115th, Chark is 137th, Mingo is 146th. Thielen lacks in yac ability but makes up for it in reliability. He’s been good for what he is, a technician and a legitimate intermediate NFL target, but we don’t have a receiver that defenses have to respect. Thielen has poor yac ability and doesn’t threaten defenses deep. He would still be excellent as a 2nd or 3rd option but when he’s your only starting caliber pass catcher you have a serious problem. Your best bet is to nickel and dime defenses down the field force feeding Thielen and hope that penalties and poor o-line play don’t put you behind schedule. ESPN ranks 2021 Brandon Zylstra ahead of every non-Thielen pass catcher on this roster. 2017 Kaelin Clay ahead of Mingo. Chark barely clearing 2017 Russell Shepard. Couple our WR play with our OL play and I don’t know how anyone can have a strong opinion of Young either way. Good QBs look bad in awful situations and bad QBs look bad in awful situations. I’m going to need to see the situation improve before I draw any conclusions.

• Pie 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:04 AM, WarHeel said:

Nonstory. Lineman and QBs let each other have it all the time. Bryce isn’t immune to criticism from his teammates just because he’s a nice dude. 

centers and QBs too.  Bozeman, to the best of my knowledge, calls the blocking scheme.  There were times when Bryce audibled out of a play late in the play clock and it blew up in his face.  Bryce needs to wake up.  He has had everyone telling him how great he is until about September, 2023. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Solaris said:

According to ESPN analytics our receivers are bad.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34649390/espn-receiver-tracking-metrics-how-new-nfl-stats-work-open-catch-yac-scores

https://espnanalytics.com/rtm/

It’s fair to wonder how much of that is scheme versus talent but it matches the eye test. Thielen is 35th in open score, by far the highest ranking Panther. Hurst is 115th, Chark is 137th, Mingo is 146th. Thielen lacks in yac ability but makes up for it in reliability. He’s been good for what he is, a technician and a legitimate intermediate NFL target, but we don’t have a receiver that defenses have to respect. Thielen has poor yac ability and doesn’t threaten defenses deep. He would still be excellent as a 2nd or 3rd option but when he’s your only starting caliber pass catcher you have a serious problem. Your best bet is to nickel and dime defenses down the field force feeding Thielen and hope that penalties and poor o-line play don’t put you behind schedule. ESPN ranks 2021 Brandon Zylstra ahead of every non-Thielen pass catcher on this roster. 2017 Kaelin Clay ahead of Mingo. Chark barely clearing 2017 Russell Shepard. Couple our WR play with our OL play and I don’t know how anyone can have a strong opinion of Young either way. Good QBs look bad in awful situations and bad QBs look bad in awful situations. I’m going to need to see the situation improve before I draw any conclusions.

Just found this PFF receiver separation chart through week 17, and it agrees with ESPN Analytics that our receivers are poor at getting separation.

402742341_ExcludingscrambleshowmuchseparationaQBsreceiversgenerateandhowoftenQBsthrowtoopenwindowsGC9tg32WIAAcxZ5.thumb.jpeg.222b3b88088ad6edd20c3aba1ee50849.jpeg

However, the PFF data through week 9 shows much better average separation by our receivers. The drop in receiver separation from week 9 to week 17 has been precipitous, a free fall even.

232022862_AlookattheaverageseparationaQBsreceiversgenerateandhowoftenQBsthrowtoanopenman(scramblesexcluded)ALLROUTESNOTJUSTTARGETSF-f4SYtbMAAz8Lj.thumb.jpeg.4822882a2cc3833b0eeb41466c491e99.jpeg

I wonder what accounts for this drop. It could be a combination of several factors: 1) poor morale from the firing of Reich and the subsequent turmoil; 2) opposing defenses have by now figured out our vanilla offense; 3) our receivers have become fed up with Bryce and are no longer as motivated to get open. 

Of course these are just my speculations, but I don't think they are unreasonable. Unfortunately, I also don't think our schemes can be improved due to the glaring limitations of Bryce, such as bad timing stemming from his atrocious footwork, a lack of arm strength and deep ball accuracy, poor ball placement and inability to throw receivers open, slow processing and indecision, inability to play under center, and so on and on. In other words, Bryce is the reason for the poor schemes and the poor performance by our receivers. I wouldn't even be surprised to find out that Reich had thrown out a significant portion of the playbook during training camp, after having examined Bryce up close.

Bryce is the albatross around the team's neck. He is the problem.

Edited by BenjaminBreeg
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

A mature S2 super-processor who is "poised" around the dinner table and who possesses great arm 'elasticity' and is able to make accurate off-platform throws. 

Yeah, and I've been waiting for cars that run on water since the 1970s.

People will argue who cares, focus on the football stuff, but it all plays into being a good QB. If he can’t competently command a press conference I have no faith he can command a huddle or a locker room. As a control I watched a Levis press conference. He’s giving much more detailed answers, using a larger vocabulary, seems much more sure of himself. This is what a franchise QB should sound like:

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

People will argue who cares, focus on the football stuff, but it all plays into being a good QB. If he can’t competently command a press conference I have no faith he can command a huddle or a locker room. As a control I watched a Levis press conference. He’s giving much more detailed answers, using a larger vocabulary, seems much more sure of himself. This is what a franchise QB should sound like:

Throw out Levis’ miracle first game, and he’s  worse than Bryce. He’s been pitifully bad the last month. And already constantly hurt. 
also, Levis barely got beat by Bryce on the S2. Funny how the two best S2’s are the worst of the rookie qbs

2 hours ago, Ghostofdelhomme said:

Throw out Levis’ miracle first game, and he’s  worse than Bryce. He’s been pitifully bad the last month. And already constantly hurt. 
also, Levis barely got beat by Bryce on the S2. Funny how the two best S2’s are the worst of the rookie qbs

Levis looks incredible. Do you watch the games? 

Bryce has not shown the ability to make these throws under this pressure. 

Edited by Selltheteamtepper
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Selltheteamtepper said:

Levis looks incredible. Do you watch the games? 

Bryce has not shown the ability to make these throws under this pressure. 

He was a naive gunslinger early on before the confidence was beaten out of him like Bryce. He has been awful. Better than Bryce, but still awful. And he has two all-pros on offense. Sam Howell faded fast, it happens

10 hours ago, BenjaminBreeg said:

Just found this PFF receiver separation chart through week 17, and it agrees with ESPN Analytics that our receivers are poor at getting separation.

402742341_ExcludingscrambleshowmuchseparationaQBsreceiversgenerateandhowoftenQBsthrowtoopenwindowsGC9tg32WIAAcxZ5.thumb.jpeg.222b3b88088ad6edd20c3aba1ee50849.jpeg

However, the PFF data through week 9 shows much better average separation by our receivers. The drop in receiver separation from week 9 to week 17 has been precipitous, a free fall even.

232022862_AlookattheaverageseparationaQBsreceiversgenerateandhowoftenQBsthrowtoanopenman(scramblesexcluded)ALLROUTESNOTJUSTTARGETSF-f4SYtbMAAz8Lj.thumb.jpeg.4822882a2cc3833b0eeb41466c491e99.jpeg

I wonder what accounts for this drop. It could be a combination of several factors: 1) poor morale from the firing of Reich and the subsequent turmoil; 2) opposing defenses have by now figured out our vanilla offense; 3) our receivers have become fed up with Bryce and are no longer as motivated to get open. 

Of course these are just my speculations, but I don't think they are unreasonable. Unfortunately, I also don't think our schemes can be improved due to the glaring limitations of Bryce, such as bad timing stemming from his atrocious footwork, a lack of arm strength and deep ball accuracy, poor ball placement and inability to throw receivers open, slow processing and indecision, inability to play under center, and so on and on. In other words, Bryce is the reason for the poor schemes and the poor performance by our receivers. I wouldn't even be surprised to find out that Reich had thrown out a significant portion of the playbook during training camp, after having examined Bryce up close.

Bryce is the albatross around the team's neck. He is the problem.

I believe that, felt it instinctively, because no one with Reich’s lifetime of NFL experience runs that garbage out for the big new offense without some major reason. It would take a lot. Bryce and Tepper are a lot. 

• Pie 1

Bryce never was it. We knew this before draft. He was undersized, lack of arm strength and didnt have the arm talent to be a #1 draft pick. He will be the most overhyped QB of all time (worse then Jamarcus Russell). Only thing he is good at is dinking and dunking. He is average at best at that. Now that hindsight has appeared, we are way to screwed to make anything happen unless we trade Burns, Chinn or Brown for some picks. We will have to be very active in FA this off season. But this will take 3 to 4 years to recover from.

• Pie 1