• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

19 minutes ago, Mage said:

And it has never made much sense.  Tepper has a lot of problems, but I don't think he's forcing players onto us.

If the scouts/GM/HC were adamant CJ Stroud was the guy to take, we would have taken Stroud.

I think Tepper put a lot of pressure on the org to go out and get a QB.  But I very much doubt he was telling them they had to take Bryce.

Again, this is the right take.

• Pie 2

And if we had just taken CJ, no one is calling it the worst trade of all time. The process wasn’t even bad, the selection was. Right now at least. Bryce could still turn it around but I think it’s less than a 5% chance he ever ends up being as good as CJ.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Agreed.  So why is Dan Morgan even remotely being considered for the GM job?

Everyone hates on Fitts for our recent draft picks, but isn’t our top scout even more responsible? 

The same way Champ Kelly is considered for the Raiders GM job after Zeigler was a massive mistake. I’m sure they didn’t sit in an interview and reiterate the mistakes of the person that came before them. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

You are making the assumption that the S2 score is the entire reason we drafted Bryce.  In the absence of any S2 score he probably would have still been drafted first based on what the scouting told them.

Also based on this thread it’s pretty clear that those that complain about analytics the most understand them the least.

Alos if we were so analytics driven we might not have considered Young at all.  His measurables alone make him an outlier based on analytic data.

You actually just demonstrated pretty well that you're someone who has no idea what analytics are 😄

Scouting is a skill, but not everything within it is quantifiable. These days everybody wants a top ten list when in reality, breaking things down to a decimal point is rarely necessary for someone who knows what they're watching.

There are really only two categories a football player: good enough and not good enough. Some people have the skill set to judge those things. Others don't.

If you don't have that skill set, throwing a bunch of numbers into a blender isn't going to give it to you.

If you do, it isn't going to tell you anything you don't already know.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Again, this is the right take.

There are degrees of rightness sometimes. I thought Tepper was known to like Young for some time. 

I would consider things that are out there about Tepper getting rid of all the opposition (in the buiklding). Free thinkers is what I would call them. The people remaining have seen this happen. Inside that environment, If he is talking about Young and you see the gleam in his eyes (or whatever tells you that he wants that guy), do you need to be directly told that he wants him? 

TLDNR: there are reports of behavior among employees that is oriented towards how will the boss react, rather than towards the basic question of is it right. 

Edited by strato

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

You actually just demonstrated pretty well that you're someone who has no idea what analytics are 😄

Scouting is a skill, but not everything within it is quantifiable. These days everybody wants a top ten list when in reality, breaking things down to a decimal point is rarely necessary for someone who knows what they're watching.

There are really only two categories a football player: good enough and not good enough. Some people have the skill set to judge those things. Others don't.

If you don't have that skill set, throwing a bunch of numbers into a blender isn't going to give it to you.

Disagree on this one. Analytics absolutely has a big part to play if you use it correctly. If you state otherwise I would think you are the one not knowing what analytics are. Analytics was not the culprit over the last few years, instead it was poor scouting from Fitt and team.

1 minute ago, Martin said:

Disagree on this one. Analytics absolutely has a big part to play if you use it correctly. If you state otherwise I would think you are the one not knowing what analytics are. Analytics was not the culprit over the last few years, instead it was poor scouting from Fitt and team.

The problem over the past few years was poor decision making.

Does relying on analytics fix that though? No.

Tepper is already heavily engaged in analytics as part of what we do. We're not missing that element.

What we're missing is better personnel evaluation.

I haven't really followed on who's the best candidate for this team.  What I would like to see is a head coach that can adjust his gameplan on the fly.  We seem to always get a HC that has no answer for a defensive schemes.  It just appears that we set our game plan and we do very little to change it.  We haven't had a coach that was good at changing his gameplan since Dan Henning and he was just our OC. 

Who of the group we currently interviewing is really good at adjusting the game plan.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Lol.  Scouting isn’t about weather a player is good enough or not, it’s about projecting wether a player can be good enough or not at the next level, hence the reason scouts are so terrible at it.

Analytics is nothing but a tool to use in the bigger picture, to not use it is ignorant.  

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The problem over the past few years was poor decision making.

Does relying on analytics fix that though? No.

Tepper is already heavily engaged in analytics as part of what we do. We're not missing that element.

What we're missing is better personnel evaluation.

Those personnel decisions would have been better with better use of analytics.  

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

And if we had just taken CJ, no one is calling it the worst trade of all time. The process wasn’t even bad, the selection was. Right now at least. Bryce could still turn it around but I think it’s less than a 5% chance he ever ends up being as good as CJ.

one take away from yesterdays game, in the 2nd half stroud didnt have time to breath much less throw...and he looked alot like young did

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Those personnel decisions would have been better with better use of analytics.  

Dude, you don't even know the difference between analytics and measurables.

Tepper is a huge analytics fan. The Panthers have an analytics department and have incorporated it into their scouting. It's not some missing element like you want to believe.

Keep trying if you want, but oy... 🙄

Edited by Mr. Scot