• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Coach/GM Updates

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Kinda liking this guy more 

from Cat Scratch Reader 

Dave Canales: A track record of success the Panthers need

The Carolina Panthers could look within the division 

The Carolina Panthers are set to interview Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Dave Canales for their head coaching vacancy today.

Canales hasn’t quite gotten the same buzz as some of the other candidates, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a very strong option for David Tepper and company. 

Canales hasn’t taken a typical path to potential NFL head coach. He started his coaching career at age 23 as the offensive coordinator for his high school alma mater. He spent a couple of years there before becoming the tight ends coach and special teams coach at El Camino College, a community college in southern California.

There he developed a relationship with then-USC head coach Pete Carroll, who eventually brought Canales on board as an assistant strength coach.

He made the jump to the NFL when Carroll brought him along when he took the head coaching job for the Seattle Seahawks.

Canales started as the team’s wide receivers coach, a position in which he served for several years.

In 2018, he became the team’s quarterbacks coach. He held that position until he got the opportunity to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as offensive coordinator at the start of this past season. 

Canales has left a trail of success wherever he’s served as either quarterbacks coach or offensive coordinator. 

He oversaw the resurrection of Geno Smith, whose production and that of the entire Seahawks offense dropped off significantly after Canales’ departure. Baker Mayfield saw the same success when he was paired up with the Bucs’ new offensive coordinator. He had one of if not the best seasons in his career, and he’s starting a playoff game this weekend. No one expected that. 

There’s a substantial history of quarterbacks playing their best while working with Canales, and that has now spanned across multiple quarterbacks on two different teams. That’s about as much of an endorsement as a coach can get. 

This doesn’t matter as much, but he’s got a demeanor that should quickly endear him to fans should he end up with the job. He’s charismatic and energetic at the podium and is arguably the most handsome candidate, which is obviously very important. He seems mostly well liked by Buccaneers fans, and that says a lot in its own right—fans almost never like their team’s coaches and coordinators. 

It’s no secret that Panthers owner David Tepper wants a young, offensive minded head coach to guide his team into the future. While Dave Canales might not be the first candidate that comes to mind, there is a lot to like about his resume and potential fit with the Panthers. 

QBs under Dave Canales as QB coach, pass game coordinator or OC

2018: Wilson, 3448 yds, 35 TD, 7 INT

2019: RW, 4110 yds, 31 TD, 5 INT

2020: RW, 4212 yds, 40 TD, 13 INT

2021: RW/Geno, 3815 yds, 30 TD, 7 INT

2022: Geno, 4282 yds, 30 TD, 11 INT

2023: Baker, 4044 yds, 28 TD, 10 INT

We also saw this with Streichens QBs but bad zoom interview. Tepper is going to wait until the very end and override the firm he hired and we will have some jackass coach that will be fired no later than the end of next season.

I firmly believe this until proven otherwise. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Shocker said:

So if we can keep Evero and get Raheem Morris?  Add a competent OC and I am very happy.  Strong talent evaluating GM and we have hope.  

I would give them 5 yrs minimum and see.  Tepper has no input obviously 

Don’t they run really different defenses? I’m pretty sure Morris runs a 4-3 base

Edited by ProcessBlue2

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

If he goes back to Michigan this absolutely has to stop.  He is clearly hedging for more money which I don’t blame him for but enough is enough 

the contract extension UM has in front of Harbaugh right now has a no flirting with NFL jobs clause in it. they seem to agree with you.

59 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Don’t they run really different defenses? I’m pretty sure Morris runs a 4-3 base

I’d imagine they can come to a common ground if that is the case. Especially if EE can’t land a HC job this cycle. 

59 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Yeah so it looks like the two Johnsons are all that is left to interview for the first round 

I could do without one particular Johnson from the 215/267 Area code. 

14 hours ago, Shocker said:

So if we can keep Evero and get Raheem Morris?  Add a competent OC and I am very happy.  Strong talent evaluating GM and we have hope.  

I would give them 5 yrs minimum and see.  Tepper has no input obviously 

Can't imagine Evero sticking around for yet another year behind another guy he competed with for the HC job here.

• Pie 1

Some things about evero. Short version

To give you the cliff notes, Evero has coached under Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, Sean McVay, and Wade Phillips during his time as an assistant, all of whom are some of the best coaching minds we’ve seen at times in recent history. One of the biggest things we often examine when looking at head coaching candidates is the coaching tree they’ve come from to get here, and that’s a heck of a list. 

Now, Evero is clearly a defensive minded head coach, which is not what the Panthers have necessarily been adamant about going after ever since Matt Rhule’s tenure. Still, Evero becoming the head coach if they can’t land a top flight offensive head coach wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. He’s got a lot of promise and has established a much better than expected defense in both of his stints as a coordinator on that side of the ball. He would also be afforded the option to then go get whatever offensive coordinator he chooses, and I would imagine he’d let whomever that person is do their work and keep to his side of the football (aside from the general gameplan and down and distance decisions of course). The other benefit would be the team wouldn’t be experiencing a full on change that has happened twice in the prior two seasons, as Matt Rhule had to make some wholesale changes before being ousted, and Frank Reich’s short-lived regime blew up the coaching staff almost completely. This could give some stability for the Panthers young team and keep Bryce Young at least adjacent to a head coach that spent his entire rookie season right alongside him.