• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers interview requests

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I wasn't so impressed with the Lions' offense tonight. 

I think some of the play designs were next level. One particular screen in the first half had me rewinding my DVR three or four times to try and make sure I caught it all.

(and annoying the hell out of my wife in the process, but hey...) 😕

Mind you, it's still true that plenty of great coordinators fail as head coaches. There's more to it than just the X's and O's knowledge.

Most people seem to think we're not going to be able to get Johnson anyway so it may not matter.

Edited by Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, Mage said:

That is a great comparison.  

Analytics guys vs personnel guys is probably its own discussion.

My issues with Halaby though go way beyond him just being an analyttics guy. That story from Kapadia is deeply concerning. Even if Halaby was a thirty year scouting pro, having those things in his history would steer me away.

Knowing that we've already had similar drama here in our own front office just makes it worse.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think some of the play designs were next level. One particular screen in the first half had me rewinding my DVR three or four times to try and make sure I caught it all.

(and annoying the hell out of my wife in the process, but hey...) 😕

Mind you, it's still true that plenty of great coordinators fail as head coaches. There's more to it than just the X's and O's knowledge.

Most people seem to think we're not going to be able to get Johnson anyway so it may not matter.

My problem is that the Lions were basically stuck in the mud the second half. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Hell, building up a lead and sitting on it was our MO for most of the 2015 season 😄

I get it, but it's also fair to say they were facing a playoff quality team. Likewise, there'll be more than one game to judge by.

Edited by Mr. Scot

39 minutes ago, top dawg said:

They have been having trouble with that this season. Whatever happened after the Ravens game broke something.

Lions fans have been complaining about this saying they haven’t played 4 full quarters of football in months.

• Pie 1

Sources that actually played and worked in pro offenses I have seen have said there's nothing revolutionary about his offense. That he's a good coordinator but not doing anything Innovative. Not that means he's not a good candidate 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Meanwhile the Eagles, who just a few years ago fired the first coach ever to win a Super Bowl for them, are now potentially set to fire the one who coached them to a Super Bowl appearance just last season.

Halaby played a role in the prior dysfunction. Is he also part of the current issues?

Can you show something recents within the last year to back up your statement?

Mr. Scot you always claim to be the most knowledgeable person on these forums but can never show proof of what you claim, or at least information that isn’t at least 3 years old. You say Halaby may be a reason that the eagles coach may get fired, but can’t show a place where that is said except for something like the enquirer where all stories are true. All front office personnel has contact with the owners and other personnel in the organization including coaches, but the coaches coach the games. I’ve never seen a VP on the sideline or the coaches box calling in the plays when you see one especially Halaby send me a video even better post it on the forum for us all to see. Because no matter what I post you always have a problem but no proof to back up any of your claims or why whatever I say is wrong!!!!!!!!

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, razorwolf said:

Mr. Scot you always claim to be the most knowledgeable person on these forums but can never show proof of what you claim, or at least information that isn’t at least 3 years old. You say Halaby may be a reason that the eagles coach may get fired, but can’t show a place where that is said except for something like the enquirer where all stories are true. All front office personnel has contact with the owners and other personnel in the organization including coaches, but the coaches coach the games. I’ve never seen a VP on the sideline or the coaches box calling in the plays when you see one especially Halaby send me a video even better post it on the forum for us all to see. Because no matter what I post you always have a problem but no proof to back up any of your claims or why whatever I say is wrong!!!!!!!!

I'm not in the habit of making any clams about my own knowledge. I'm comfortable and confident in what I believe, but I'm not my own source and have never claimed to be.

To be clear, the story in The Athletic wasn't focused on Halaby, but did have a lot of info about him. The primary issue there was the environment created by Lurie and Roseman. Kapadia was familiar with it because he spent years covering the Eagles.

You can find a lot of corroboration to that story in one by another longtime Eagles writer, Jeff McLane. He wrote what amounted to a small novella back in March of 2021 that described all the goings on in Philly. These days, it's only available via subscription that I've found, but at the time I had the full text of it downloaded from somewhere. mcLane does have a podcast titled "Uncovering the Birds" that has more recently detailed problems in the locker room / front office and such.

Whether any of that mentions Halaby specifically? Don't remember. Possible that it did, but Halaby wasn't a name relevant to Panthers discussion back then.

The thing that's most important about those stories right now though is that the dysfunction found in them very much appears to be ongoing.

What's quite possibly the biggest evidence of that for me? That here just a few years later, they're back in the same spot, set to fire a successful coach. And hell, Sirianni was only in the Super Bowl last year so he went from the penthouse to the doghouse even faster than Pederson.

That's a huge red flag.

To explain it another way though, let me ask you this:

Given what's known about the Panthers dysfunction right now, If you were a fan of another team, would you look to this organization as an ideal place to hire from?

I wouldn't. Hell, I'd likely say keep away at all costs.

The Eagles do have a much better track record of success, but they also have an argually worse record of turning on the people who've helped bring about that success.

For a team that's looking to rebound from its own toxicity, do I really want to import anybody from that environment?

I'd call that the question that most needs to be answered, especially when you consider that there are other candidates with equally good or better resumés that don't have those red flags.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Oh I'm sure he'll be back - which is why we're such an awful franchise.

I actually have no qualms with Morgan or Samir they wouldnt be my first choices to keep around though. Morgan hasn’t been bad in his role with pro scouting. We’ve had some misses in FA but we’ve had more hits than misses with pro players vs the draft that was Scott’s supposed bread n butter. The issue came where we mismanaged the personnel after they were in the building. I’m in a small minority (microscopic actually) but I wouldn’t hate pairing Dan with a VP from a successful program. I’d take that over certain candidates that they have floated around. 

Here is what I think will happen:

Mike Vrabel:  If (or I could probably say 'when') the Eagles lose, they will interview Vrabel and offer him the job.  Word on the street (and I run the streets, as many of you are aware) is that Vrabel wanted more control in Tennessee.  That alone will cause Tepper to look elsewhere. 

So what would be my choice?   Call me crazy (not literally--you are not qualified--my psychoanalyst is the only person who did that with validity), but I have a short list, and these rank in order of my preference at the time.

Dave Canales is my dark horse favorite.  He worked under Pete Carroll at USC and he followed him to Seattle.  At Seattle, he worked with a smallish QB with scrambling ability who became all pro (Russell Wilson) and he is credited for helping turn Geno Smith into a legit NFL starter.  Moving on to Tampa Bay, he took Baker Mayfield and turned him into a playoff QB who has found success there.  This guy has the midas touch, and if he can do that with QBs, he can do that with the 53 man roster.  He is a college WR, and the Panthers need growth in that area as well.  Russell Wilson faced adversity (size) and Carroll went after him and the Seahawks dominated for years.  Geno Smith?  Who saw that coming? Baker in Tampa was a joke, but they found a way to utilize his talents.  Could he save Bryce?  I doubt it, but I would not put it past him.  I think he'd start with the OL.

Dan Quinn, DC Dallas.  I would take Quinn.  He is a locker room guy and he went to a Super Bowl (28-3) with the dirty turds.  His record there was over .500.  You might say, "But he is a defensive coach and we are going offense in Carolina?"  We do not know what we want or need.  As a head coach, it helps to know how a defense might attack the offense and its players. He is liked and has HC experience and has played games as a head coach on the biggest stage.  He is a winner, and I would understand and rejoice if he is the hire.

Frank Smith, Dolphins OC.  If we go this route, it is because we are "all in" on Bryce Young.  It would also mean we will probably be drafting an "after the catch" speed demon at #33.  Do I like the hire?  If we are going with Bryce, yes.  Avero's defense and Smith's offense could be a winning combination.

Ejiro Evero, Panthers DC.  Evero has proven to be an effective DC on teams with the lowest scoring offense in the league in Denver and Carolina.  The Panthers turned down a request by the Jags to interview him, so that means they are keeping him.  To me, that suggests as the DC, not the head coach.  They had plenty of time to interview him (following the hiring of Frank R) and they have already Zoomed with him.  With Ryan's success in Houston, maybe they go copy cat and hire him, but I do not have a great feeling about him.  However, Evero was without Thompson (LB) and Horn (CB) most of this season and was still pretty dang respectable.  I think the play is to hope to retain him and bring in a good HC who will hire his choice for an OC.

Mike McDonald, Ravens DC.  Along the lines of the new age, analytical coach (see Mike McDaniel, Miami), McDonald is from the "House of Harbaugh" having served as DC at Michigan under Jim and then Baltimore under John.  He is 36.  Not my first choice, he has interviewed in LAC, Atlanta, Tennessee, Seattle, and maybe one other team (going from memory). 

Ben Johnson, OC in Detroit.  I don't want this turd.  Demanding $15m, turning us down (probably smart to do so).  Goff was pretty good when he got him, and he developed a good OL and they added a solid WR.  Nothing that special.  I give Campbell the credit in Detroit.

Kellen Moore?  Probably who we hire.  Not a fan of it though.

• Pie 2