• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Morgan going for GM job

Jmac

4 hours ago, WarHeel said:

I just want to know if there was anyone else in the building that advocated for Bryce over CJ and Mingo over Dell, 

4 hours ago, SuperBowlBound said:

I’ve been staunchly against retaining any member of this front office. You can’t have this many catastrophic whiffs with each personnel decision. That’s just my opinion. Hurney/Gettleman still had hits with guys like Beane around. This front office hasn’t even produced a single or walk. Maybe I’m wrong about Dan but it would be hard for me to stomach someone that helped put this team together calling the final shots that Tepper would allow. 

I can understand that line of thinking. However, McDermont and Brandon Beane were on staff here and are doing ok with Buffalo. 

Morgan has been promoted and worked with player personnel in Seattle and Buffalo, so he has experience.  I am not going to share an opinion based on the fact that I really do not know what he knows or the extent of his power.  I do, however, recall some things about this that could work:

1.  He knows where the bodies are buried.  He knows the cancers and the players who have not bee properly developed.  He has been watching and biting his lip, we assume.

2.  He reportedly stands up to Tepper.  If so, then that will be defined during the interview.  The good sign?  He stands up to to Tepper and he is still here and seems to be in position to at the very least help during this transition.

3.  Experience in Seattle and Buffalo.  They are successful teams that have developed talent and been competitive.  He has worked under 2 of the best GMs in the NFL.

4.  The Panthers will not be able to attract a proven GM, so they will be taking a chance regardless.  Who is better than Morgan (I don't know--not a rhetorical question).

So there are some reasons Morgan is suited for the position.  We should not dismiss what we know about Morgan for what we hope might define an outside candidate.  That is not to say we should not do a thorough search, but I have always been impressed with Morgan, and I would not be surprised to see him as a GM somewhere in the near future.

• Pie 3

11 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

4.  The Panthers will not be able to attract a proven GM, so they will be taking a chance regardless.  Who is better than Morgan (I don't know--not a rhetorical question).

Proven GMs rarely hit the market. It's a shot in the dark imo with hiring a good GM. Helps when you hire one with an actual background in identifying and acquiring talent, raises the odds a bit.

• Pie 2

I remember playing Madden 99 or 00 when it was still mainly on PC. I got matched up with this dude named Danimal or something. Said he was Dan Morgan. Of course I didn't believe him. We never played the game. Dude proceeded to talk to me in chat for an hour and a half. He told me about the team, Deshaun Foster's knee, when everyone thought he was coming back., etc. One of the coolest people I have ever met. No cap. He would probably do well.

• Beer 1

No way........either he was a yes man and didn't see the nightmare created............or lack the balls to stand up in what was going on................or had too many hits to head in his playing days to be aware of everything..............he should be shown the door. 

But then again............what's the point of showing people the door when it never hits the Teppers in the ass.

The NFL has to show them the door. 

2 hours ago, PghPanther said:

No way........either he was a yes man and didn't see the nightmare created............or lack the balls to stand up in what was going on................or had too many hits to head in his playing days to be aware of everything..............he should be shown the door. 

But then again............what's the point of showing people the door when it never hits the Teppers in the ass.

The NFL has to show them the door. 

This is a business and he ultimately is an employee. There is only so much he can do.  Supposedly he stood up to Tepper in meetings and he's worked with very good GMs in other places...

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

where is this rumor coming from? 

I suspect it's just message board insider talk.  We'll never really know.

I would say I'd be a little surprised if Morgan was just a yes man push over in a general sense.

Edit: I don't know which poster (s) but someone has said their contact said Morgan has stood up to Tepper (whatever that means).

Edited by mav1234

13 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ive seen this numerous times today, is there a link of this or is this message board innuendo?

I am just repeating what others said and assumed it had been reported, so good question--if they are full of Sht, I am too.  I am not sure where they got it, but I want to believe it. 

Just now, MHS831 said:

I am just repeating what others said and assumed it had been reported, so good question--if they are full of Sht, I am too.  I am not sure where they got it, but I want to believe it. 

Nah I hear you, but I am not taking it seriously if its just message board fodder, I just dont think its been "reported", but if its true its a good sign but as of now it doesnt move the needle at all for me in regards to him.   Fine interview him but interview others as well.  But if he was part of the trade and selection of bryce then he needs to go. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Steelo said:

Proven GMs rarely hit the market. It's a shot in the dark imo with hiring a good GM. Helps when you hire one with an actual background in identifying and acquiring talent, raises the odds a bit.

Morgan has personnel experience in Seattle and Buffalo, and I agree with everything you say here.  I actually knew Brandon Beane (he is from Norwood, NC) as a grunt Panther scout/front office coffee boy and he and I talked Panthers a few times while our cars were being inspected.  At the time, I was not impressed with him, but it was interesting.  I'd take him back in minute.  I think his desire to return home was in the back of my mind, but he and McDermott are blood brothers.

• Pie 1