• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC South 2024 Offseason Financials [Spotrac]

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

You can't ditch Moton, in any scenario.  The restructure we did with him killed it.  We still owe the guy 24 million guaranteed, plus his salary.

If we do anything (cut or trade) with him before June 1, it's a 24 million hit to our cap this year.  Do anything after June 1 and it's 12 this year and 12 next.

It's just not a good move.

Fair enough, had no idea what his contract looked like when I wrote that. I’m all for keeping him 

18 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I hear you but I would see what his market value is draft capital wise.  We are a ways off from competing IMO.  And we are real far off if Young is a total bust

I often have these thoughts, and it is the best way to build a team.  Hershel Walker to Minnesota brought Dallas rings, for example.  However, as poorly as we have drafted, I dunno.  CMC and Moore gutted our offense, and we got value for them in draft capital.  I think of it this way, your first rounder has about a 50-60% chance of being a success, and after that, it drops to something like 25% then down to 10% on day 3.  Derrick Brown in young and will be a beast in this league for the next 8-10 years.  I love him as a player and maybe a little bit as a man-he knows nothing about that part. 😄

18 hours ago, jb2288 said:

If you can get good value for Moton I agree trade him, if not I'd like to see Icky slide in to LG freeing up BC to play LT. Roll with Boze and Corbett another year, draft and develop a future RT. BC coming back opens up a lot of options, I'd like to see us aggressively pull another very strong guard in FA however

Same page, brother.  Moton being traded is merely a cap move--he is our best OL by far.

20 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

There is absolutely NO reason to be tacking void years onto contracts at the moment. We have plenty of cap space to navigate and our team is obviously not going to be a contender in the next 2 years. Why would we cap strap ourselves in the future when the team may actually have an opportunity to compete. 

We should be front loading new contracts right now, and aiming for putting together a competitive team in 2 to 3 years, not the opposite. Trade away players that are aging, and less likely to contribute to our future. 

I vote for you to be the next GM.  The problem is, when you have a hatchet man like Tepper who thinks he can tantrum his way to greatness, the vision becomes shorter--day-to-day in some cases. 

• Beer 1

I think we need to find out if Bryce is any good.  I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't think we know the answer.  Directionless back-stabbing coaching, constant injuries/changes on the offensive line, pedestrian play-calling, and sub-par WRs.  Plus the fact he was a rookie trying to catch up to a much different game.  He may never be anything special, but I'm not ready to draw that conclusion based on the mess we saw this year.  Let's fix his footwork, give him some time to get stronger, match him up with a more creative offensive coach, and see if anything is there.

Here's my to-do...

1. Trade Burns to Buffalo.  Buffalo is in win-now mode and Burns would be more helpful on the other side of Von Miller than anyone they could draft in the late 20's.  We could net a 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, and a 2024 5th and 6th.

2. Offense: Move icky inside and let BC play T.  Move on from the stench of Thomas, TMJ, Hurst, Sanders, and Chark.  If Corbett can play, keep him with Zavala and Mays as backups.  Re-sign Smith-Marsette.  Keep Thielen.  Keep Dalton.

3. Defense: Re-sign/extend Brown.  Re-sign Luvu, YGM, Hill, and Haynes.  Then hope Horn, Bell, Woods, Shaq, and Jackson can stay healthy. A difference-making edge rusher will have to wait for the 2025 draft.  This draft needs to be about the offense.

4. Free Agents: stay away! Grab whatever comp picks we can for Henderson, Chinn, Franklin, Shenault, Chark, etc.  Fill in gaps when they no longer count against comp pick formula.

5. Draft: 1 = WR.  2 = G/C. 3 = RB or TE.  4-6: LB, CB, DT, TE, etc.

2024 is going to be ugly.  We might win 4-5 games with better coaching, fewer injuries, and a little more talent around our QB, but that is probably the max. But this should allow us to determine if our high 2025 pick should be QB or Edge.   

Bottom line, I really don't care how many games we win in 2024 as long as we develop what we have, show energy and improvement, and carry over all our picks, a comp pick or two, and a large chunk of cap. 

• Pie 4

3 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

I think we need to find out if Bryce is any good.  I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't think we know the answer.  Directionless back-stabbing coaching, constant injuries/changes on the offensive line, pedestrian play-calling, and sub-par WRs.  Plus the fact he was a rookie trying to catch up to a much different game.  He may never be anything special, but I'm not ready to draw that conclusion based on the mess we saw this year.  Let's fix his footwork, give him some time to get stronger, match him up with a more creative offensive coach, and see if anything is there.

Here's my to-do...

1. Trade Burns to Buffalo.  Buffalo is in win-now mode and Burns would be more helpful on the other side of Von Miller than anyone they could draft in the late 20's.  We could net a 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, and a 2024 5th and 6th.

2. Offense: Move icky inside and let BC play T.  Move on from the stench of Thomas, TMJ, Hurst, Sanders, and Chark.  If Corbett can play, keep him with Zavala and Mays as backups.  Re-sign Smith-Marsette.  Keep Thielen.  Keep Dalton.

3. Defense: Re-sign/extend Brown.  Re-sign Luvu, YGM, Hill, and Haynes.  Then hope Horn, Bell, Woods, Shaq, and Jackson can stay healthy. A difference-making edge rusher will have to wait for the 2025 draft.  This draft needs to be about the offense.

4. Free Agents: stay away! Grab whatever comp picks we can for Henderson, Chinn, Franklin, Shenault, Chark, etc.  Fill in gaps when they no longer count against comp pick formula.

2024 is going to be ugly.  We might win 4-5 games with better coaching, fewer injuries, and a little more talent around our QB, but that is probably the max. But this should allow us to determine if our high 2025 pick should be QB or Edge.   

Bottom line, I really don't care how many games we win in 2024 as long as we develop what we have, show energy and improvement, and carry over all our picks, a comp pick or two, and a large chunk of cap. 

I agree with everything you said. May have to sign 1-2 free agents but lets get rid of most our dead money and get ready for the future. I just hope to win 5 games next year. Also really want our 2nd and 3rd rounder to be day 1 starters. Need to save money so in 2025 we can make a few sizable offers for that bounce back year!

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

1. I'd be open to trading Burns, but I don't think Buffalo is the fit (they are up against the cap as is)

2. I agree that Icky probably needs to get kicked inside. I'd be fine with BC holding down the LT spot for the year. I'd like to see some capital spent on another swing T in the draft.

3. Brown is under contract (5th year option), but I do agree that and extension should be a priority.

4. Agree, considering we aren't contending we should try to game the comp formula. I think it will be hard though since it will be new HC and new GM and they will want to put their stamp on things. I also think it will be hard if a bona-fide WR1 hits FA (e.g. Higgins).

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Here's my to-do...

This right here is how you move forward. I also wouldn't be upset at trading back in the draft to acquire more picks this year or next. 

• Pie 1